Texas Hunting Forum

Snake skins

Posted By: 00possum

Snake skins - 12/30/12 07:59 PM

I know some of y'all use rattlesnake skins for bow backing, but where could I sell snake skins? Me and my cousin are going hunting for them at the end of deer season, and he wants to keep them alive, I'm not to fond of that idea so I need somewhere I can sell the skins. Any ideas or prices I can get an idea with? I know furbuyer.com buys them for .30 a inch, that's a little over $10 for a 3 foot long rattlesnake. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: hoss77

Re: Snake skins - 12/30/12 09:53 PM

and where do you plan on finding snakes in Jan.?, unless you are in so tx.
Posted By: BAD

Re: Snake skins - 12/30/12 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: hoss77
and where do you plan on finding snakes in Jan.?, unless you are in so tx.
. --Actually this is one of the best times of the year to gas them out of dens.

00possom-- the only 2 places I know that used to buy snakes is at the sweetwater roundup held the second weekend in march every year and a guy in palo pinto county that's located at Interstate 20 and highwy 281. Not sure if these places still buy but mite be worth looking into.

Re: Snake skins - 12/30/12 10:41 PM

I actually have a friend near palo pinto, maybe he could help me out. I thought about the sweetwater thing, but there's always lots of people and people annoy me. Does Jackie bibbie need snakes still? I heard he lost a leg, and he's about 10 minutes north of where I live. As a matter of fact they pulled out 42 snakes where I'm going to be hunting, my cousin has permission to take me out there. It looks promising, but we have to wait till deer season is over.

Re: Snake skins - 12/30/12 10:50 PM

I actually used to catch snakes with Bibby when I was a kid. We hunted my ranch located between Cross Plains and Rising Star Him and my uncle were good friends. At that time we were selling all our snakes to a guy named Leroy Higginbotham who was located in Cross Plains. I believe he lives in sweetwater now. I'm not sure if Jackie is still buying snakes/messing with them since his last snake bite

Re: Snake skins - 12/30/12 10:53 PM

Oh, I thought he was still in RS. Does Mr. Higginbotham still buy snakes? Cross Plains is still pretty close for me.

Re: Snake skins - 12/31/12 03:30 AM

Im pretty sure Higginbotham stills buys but I believe he lives in Sweetwater now
Posted By: Maglite

Re: Snake skins - 12/31/12 03:26 PM

Don't gas the dens! Use gas but.only stay the vapors.in the dens. Using the gas itself can ruin a den for yrs and the snakes will leave. Snakes also get like pneumonia from gas and can die from it. We snake hunt a lot and have for 20 yrs. The best time is early spring. This time of yr they tend to be deep in the dens and you usually push more to the back of the den where they will die from the gas than you will get to come out. In early spring the snakes are closer to mouth of den and they tend to leave it after you gas it instead of going deeper into it. Get a garden sprayer and fill it about half full of gas and before you spray it turn the sprayer upside down so you spray fumes not gas. Also get a 10 to 20 ft piece of soft copper tubing and use it to get deep into the den and spray fumes thru it. Get the fumes as deep into the den as you can to get them to come out and not deeper into the den.

Re: Snake skins - 12/31/12 03:29 PM

The guy at I20 and 281 Dan Poppelwell isn't around anymore. He was crooked snake that screwed everyone over. He got in LOTS of trouble with the state over snakes and turtles. He use to buy lots of snakes from us untill I got wind of what all he was up too and we stopped supplying him.

Re: Snake skins - 12/31/12 03:56 PM

Thanks y'all.
Posted By: ar-15hunter

Re: Snake skins - 12/31/12 04:16 PM

thier worth more alive than dead. just sayin
Posted By: smithwr

Re: Snake skins - 12/31/12 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Maglite
The guy at I20 and 281 Dan Poppelwell isn't around anymore. He was crooked snake that screwed everyone over. He got in LOTS of trouble with the state over snakes and turtles. He use to buy lots of snakes from us untill I got wind of what all he was up too and we stopped supplying him.

He was also selling baby snakes to china for all their spiritual healing crap. He was/is in federal pen.

Re: Snake skins - 12/31/12 05:39 PM

Yep!
Posted By: Bama2

Re: Snake skins - 01/02/13 07:01 AM

I may buy a skin from you but not a live one

Re: Snake skins - 01/02/13 02:35 PM

I always froze the snakes alive for taxidermy use. They will coil up in a perfect coil and there is no damage to the skin. They will just freeze intheir sleep. Works great
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Snake skins - 01/02/13 02:45 PM

Try the MAVERICK TRADING POST on Valley View in Farmers Branch (Dallas). They used to be the major buyer of the snakes at Sweetwater! They tan the skins to make belts, wallets, hat bands, etc.
Posted By: shaggysnack

Re: Snake skins - 01/04/13 03:00 AM

Freer Texas does a rattle snake round up every year. I think it's in the spring but I haven't attended in quite a few years.
Posted By: Very Texas

Re: Snake skins - 11/06/14 09:06 PM

I can use some rattlesnake skins for our website Very Texas. We use them to make wallets so they have to be about 5 inches wide for us to use.I was buying them from Leroy but haven't been able to reach him lately. Let me know if you still have any skins. I know this is an older thread so not sure if this is still relevant.

Thank you,
Gail
Posted By: senderoman

Re: Snake skins - 11/08/14 06:29 PM

Bayou Bob(the santo guy) is out of business
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Snake skins - 11/08/14 09:41 PM

Check out the penturners site. http://www.penturners.org/forum/
Several use snake skins to me pens, Don Ward in Wichita Falls is known for his snake skin pens. Check him out at http://redriverpens.com/ Look at who makes the snake skin pens, and send them messages asking if they are interested.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum