Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land

Posted By: Dustnsand

Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 12:46 AM

I'm looking for places to go rattlesnake hunting. I go hunting with a buddy from church who is also married to my cousin and would like to find more places to go. We catch the snakes and put them in a box so there will be no guns used just catchers.

My friend has a few places to go now around Clifton, and Cransville Gap but we haven't had alot of success lately. We went today and caught 3.

If you have a place that has rattlesnakes on it and wouldn't mind letting us come try to catch them, it would be greatly appreciated.

Posted By: JCB

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 12:47 AM

Just curious what you do with them.

Posted By: Blakevc27

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 12:49 AM

Check with some of guys who are involved with the sweetwater roundup. Ive got a barn eat up with them, they are denned up now under a 20x40 concrete slab, last year we counted over 50.

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: JCB

Take them to the roundup in Ogelsby

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Blakevc27
Check with some of guys who are involved with the sweetwater roundup. Ive got a barn eat up with them, they are denned up now under a 20x40 concrete slab, last year we counted over 50.

Do you catch them or are you going to leave them there?

Posted By: GLC

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 01:02 AM

Might have a place around Stephenville. I will check for you.

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 01:09 AM

our place has lots of rattlers out between talpa and ballinger. you guys gas them out of possible dens or just look for them?

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: z71dustin

then what do you do with them?

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 01:36 AM

put them in a cardboard box and FedEx them to Killer.

Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: txhunter24
our place has lots of rattlers out between talpa and ballinger. you guys gas them out of possible dens or just look for them?

Yes but you need a dozer to find them.lol

Posted By: BMD

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

X2

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 01:52 AM

I'll ask the rancher on my Pecos County lease about it...last year he said he quit counting at over 200 that he killed. 70,000 acres to hunt for them. We have killed them 3 days after a 10" snow.

Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 02:06 AM

All my dens are dry now that we have hogs.

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: txhunter24

We spend the majority of the time looking and if we find a spot that looks good we will gas it. In the den we found today we could see one snake and when we gassed it we ended up getting 3 out

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: GLC
Might have a place around Stephenville. I will check for you.

I appreciate it, that would be great if so up

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I'll ask the rancher on my Pecos County lease about it...last year he said he quit counting at over 200 that he killed. 70,000 acres to hunt for them. We have killed them 3 days after a 10" snow.

Wow that's alot of snakes. I'd appreciate it if you could ask him

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

then what do you do with them?

Sell them to the buyers that are there. When you add up how much time and money get spent to find rattlesnakes it ends up being like deer hunting, they are some high dollar animals lol.

When you pull one out of the den and it's trying to get you and rattling, it makes it worth it up

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: ntxtrapper
All my dens are dry now that we have hogs.

i haven't seen a snake in some time now, pretty much the only reason i have to tolerate hogs.

don't have to watch where i'm walking because a ferel hog might jump out and bite me

Posted By: Esslmeister

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 05:06 AM

Originally Posted By: BMD
Originally Posted By: rifleman

X2
X3

Posted By: bentman

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 05:19 AM

I have the perfect place south of Coleman PM me you ####

Posted By: mustafa

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 05:54 AM

u b crazy. When you gas em out to they come out pizzed or are they high?

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 06:02 AM

Originally Posted By: bentman
I have the perfect place south of Coleman PM me you ####

Sent it

Originally Posted By: mustafa
u b crazy. When you gas em out to they come out pizzed or are they high?

They aren't very happy to put it mildly.

Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 12:45 PM

Does the gas make them sick? Like respiratory problems? A guy told me that it causes them to get pneumonia. Which is ok with me if it does, I'm not fond of them.

Posted By: Elkman

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 03:09 PM

I love to hunt them also, lost our place in Jayton so I have no where to go. Need some taken off just let me know.

Posted By: Big Pa

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 03:40 PM

You guys are not right in the head.... LOL

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 03:46 PM

I could point you in the right direction for some GI-Normous timber rattlers, but pretty sure you can't mess with them. They are timid little fellas, but easy to find under the junk in the river bottom that builds up at the bases of cypress & oaks.

Posted By: wacorusty

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 05:00 PM

When you pull one out of the den and it's trying to get you and rattling, it makes it worth it up

scared

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/30/11 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Sirrah243
Does the gas make them sick? Like respiratory problems? A guy told me that it causes them to get pneumonia. Which is ok with me if it does, I'm not fond of them.

I'm not for sure on that. I would guess it doesn't harm them though, since they will still be alive and not happy when they go to the roundup weeks later

Posted By: wellingtontx

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/31/11 04:55 AM

I hope they kill every last one of them ! I don't care if they gas them, shoot them, stomp them....as long as they end up dead!

Posted By: TRIJI....WHAT

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/31/11 05:10 AM

PM me your phone number and if you are around Gatesville I think I can help you get some locations to hunt at.

Posted By: JRPurvis

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/31/11 09:56 PM

I'd rather have the snakes than gas being poured out on my land. Wife might have a different answer though....

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 01/31/11 10:35 PM

When is the best time (day/month) are you wanting to doing something?

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/01/11 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: JRPurvis
I'd rather have the snakes than gas being poured out on my land. Wife might have a different answer though....

The gas isn't poured out. You only use gas if it is a possible den which was only about 4 times this past weekend. And when you do use it, you use a fine mist and only in the den

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/01/11 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: dgilbert

The roundup is at the end of next month and that is about as late as you want to hunt since warm weather gets them out of the dens.

As for time of day, it doesn't matter. Saturday we hunting from about 9 AM to 5 PM

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/01/11 01:41 AM

I have found more snakes when pushing junk piles that have sheetrock. TXhunter24 had a couple snake hunters that struck out but the D-6 found some honkers.

Posted By: blancobuster

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/01/11 02:31 AM

I would like to see some pictures of yall catching em or any you have caught if you have any z71

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/01/11 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: blancobuster
I would like to see some pictures of yall catching em or any you have caught if you have any z71

I haven't took any pictures but I'll try to next time we go

Posted By: my2071111

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/01/11 03:00 PM

How much you get for them?

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/01/11 06:22 PM

I haven't took any pictures but I'll try to next time we go

thanks, I just love seeing pictures and videos of other people doing things that I would never do!!! cheers I hate snakes. No one has ever seen a rattler at our lease in Blanco County, does population vary a lot in different areas, just would have thought someone would have seen at least one by now, but I figure we just have a very low population for some reason.

Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/02/11 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: dgilbert

Prior to them leaving the dens. I like mid to late February. Warm but not too warm. Too cold and they will not come out as well, too warm and they will be out waiting for you.

Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/02/11 07:29 PM

a buddy of mine who passed away in a rock climbing accident in 2006 was a huge snake guy. He wouldn't harm a snake ever. He loved catching them, studying them, and then turning them loose. I never ever saw him use any tools to catch them either. Always used his bare hands. I even witnessed him laying on his belly down in a hole under a boulder, with only his feet visible, only to come crawling back out with a massive western diamond back.

After having the pleasure of having him as a friend..I would never harm a snake again. They are such a cool animal.

These are the only pics i could find of him with snakes he caught. I know he has been bitten around 5 or six times by rattle snakes. Once near monterey mexico, and he then drove himself back to dallas to check into the hospital. He knew exactly where to go for anti venom.

this one isnt a rattle snake...but this is how he would catch all his snakes.

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/03/11 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Spacemonkey
a buddy of mine who passed away in a rock climbing accident in 2006 was a huge snake guy. He wouldn't harm a snake ever. He loved catching them, studying them, and then turning them loose. I never ever saw him use any tools to catch them either. Always used his bare hands. I even witnessed him laying on his belly down in a hole under a boulder, with only his feet visible, only to come crawling back out with a massive western diamond back.

After having the pleasure of having him as a friend..I would never harm a snake again. They are such a cool animal.

These are the only pics i could find of him with snakes he caught. I know he has been bitten around 5 or six times by rattle snakes. Once near monterey mexico, and he then drove himself back to dallas to check into the hospital. He knew exactly where to go for anti venom.

this one isnt a rattle snake...but this is how he would catch all his snakes.

a true outdoorsman, sounds like a great friend to have had we are all truly blessed with some of the people that the woods have brought into our lives

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/03/11 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: highlonesome1
I have found more snakes when pushing junk piles that have sheetrock. TXhunter24 had a couple snake hunters that struck out but the D-6 found some honkers.

yeah a couple of those were probably pushing 6 ft. I think leonardo has a nack for finding them! lol

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/03/11 09:02 PM

a true outdoorsman, sounds like a great friend to have had we are all truly blessed with some of the people that the woods have brought into our lives

yeah, he was a good guy, i miss having him around. Funniest story I ever heard was how he accidentally lost a king cobra in Cedar hill due to some punk kids breaking into his car.

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/03/11 10:56 PM

The gas isn't poured out. You only use gas if it is a possible den which was only about 4 times this past weekend. And when you do use it, you use a fine mist and only in the den

Pour or mist, can't see that it makes any difference. In the end, it's still putting gas into the environment. I'm okay with harvesting rattlers - no different than shooting a deer - it's the gas thing that bothers me.

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/04/11 05:07 AM

Pour or mist, can't see that it makes any difference. In the end, it's still putting gas into the environment. I'm okay with harvesting rattlers - no different than shooting a deer - it's the gas thing that bothers me.

i agree with you on that one man. Fortunately it should only be a matter of time before gassing is illegal in texas.

http://beta-www.tpwd.state.tx.us/faq/hunting-wildlike/gassing-as-a-means-to-collect-nongame-wildlife

Posted By: udder brudder1

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/05/11 01:53 AM

PM to ya Z71.....

Posted By: webe

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/06/11 01:29 PM

Can not agree with this unless there is a real infestation of an area where they that might harm humans or live stock, like a working barn or camp house. Gassing is being reviewed to be banned. No offence to each his own.

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/07/11 04:26 AM

When you consider how little gas is used when we go hunting I really don't see the problem. It's not like you put gas in every hole you see, and when you do there isn't much used at all. The last time we went we only gassed 3 spots.

If you haven't ever seen it done I can understand your concern but trust me, there isn't much gas used.

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/07/11 06:57 AM

are u really worried about a tiny tiny bit of gas being put in a lil hole??

u know how people kill mesquite trees??? they mix diesel with remedy... omg... call the environment patrol....

Posted By: longhorn_cop

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/07/11 04:36 PM

Gas em and kill em all.
Infestation?? are you serious?
The real question should be why not gas them.

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/07/11 05:48 PM

Would rather catch them out right, Thats the challenge get them before they get you. It is fun. Wish I had a place to go get them. We had a lot in Jayton but had to get off that lease.

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/07/11 08:01 PM

To me the real question is why kill them at all? If they are in the yard, then I'll kill a rattler. If they are out in a field, I'll let it go. It's not going to hurt me or my dogs, there's no reason to kill it. I'm not going to eat it or skin it, so I just don't see the point.

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/07/11 09:45 PM

The meat is good but you have to have several.

Posted By: changingthegame

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/07/11 09:57 PM

Yeah I had one, three foot long, I shoot it standing two feet away from my foot, talk about a serious adrenaline rush for me. Needless to say he got a one way ticket to rattler hec city, with three 12 gauge shotgun shells just to make sure he was sent there the fastest way possible:) oh if anyone was curious I moved my foot out of the way before I pulled the trigger, and if I find another, I'll be using the same gun, wearing snakeproof boots.

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/07/11 10:24 PM

To me the real question is why kill them at all? If they are in the yard, then I'll kill a rattler. If they are out in a field, I'll let it go. It's not going to hurt me or my dogs, there's no reason to kill it. I'm not going to eat it or skin it, so I just don't see the point.

We don't kill them. I thought I had made that clear with the first post hammer

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/07/11 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: changingthegame
Yeah I had one, three foot long, I shoot it standing two feet away from my foot, talk about a serious adrenaline rush for me. Needless to say he got a one way ticket to rattler hec city, with three 12 gauge shotgun shells just to make sure he was sent there the fastest way possible:) oh if anyone was curious I moved my foot out of the way before I pulled the trigger, and if I find another, I'll be using the same gun, wearing snakeproof boots.

Catch em alive, it's more fun grin

Posted By: Robby C

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/07/11 10:25 PM

Gas then match

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/08/11 06:20 PM

blush It had been more than a day since I read the first post. My attention span and memory both need work these days.

Posted By: redfish76

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/08/11 07:21 PM

If they are out in a field, I'll let it go. It's not going to hurt me or my dogs, there's no reason to kill it.

How are you so sure, it isn't going to hurt you or your dogs? Or kids? Now, I know that killing every snake you see isn't going to put a dent in their population, but they are a real threat to dogs and children, and even adults. I know that I try to be pretty careful when I'm out in the field, and still the snake usually sees me first. Who knows how many I've walked right by who never alerted me to their presence?

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/08/11 09:32 PM

No kids, and no plans to ever have kids, so I'm safe on that one. The dogs don't get to leave the yard, which is why I kill them in the yard, but wouldn't if I saw one in the back part of the pasture. I assume I have walked past many while hunting or working in the pasture, but I never see them. Out of sight, out of mind. I just don't worry about them. Don't bother with snake boots or carrying a pistol to shoot them either. I just don't see them as a threat. The wife thinks I'm nuts.

Posted By: Cborden

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/08/11 11:14 PM

I have hunted rattlers for years and yes gassing a den is harmful.Ever notice after doing so that there isn't snakes there next year or the year after? But I am with Dustin,if there is anyone around the Granbury or Stephenville area that needs to get rid of a few shoot me a pm..When it stays warm for a few days the snakes will start coming out of the den to sun..

Posted By: MELackey

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/08/11 11:40 PM

The wife thinks I'm nuts.

She's not the only one.

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/09/11 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Cborden
I have hunted rattlers for years and yes gassing a den is harmful.Ever notice after doing so that there isn't snakes there next year or the year after? But I am with Dustin,if there is anyone around the Granbury or Stephenville area that needs to get rid of a few shoot me a pm..When it stays warm for a few days the snakes will start coming out of the den to sun..

Just a thought but maybe, just maybe, they aren't there anymore because you took them all out of the den nidea

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/09/11 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Cborden

Just a thought but maybe, just maybe, they aren't there anymore because you took them all out of the den nidea

thats what i was thinking.

Posted By: rater1979

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/11/11 01:11 AM

If anyone is willing to drive about 2 hours north of Stephenville, I think I may have a pretty good place on Bridgeport Lake (Jack County. If not too far, PM me.

Posted By: texaspatriot.308

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/12/11 02:51 AM

kinda like asking if there are illegal aliens in your hometown.

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/12/11 06:18 AM

I will probably kill the first one i see, if it is big enough just so I can have the skin for the wall and try a little meat, after that, I don't really care. They have not messed with me yet and I am not gonna mess with them, unless I have no choice. If it was around my house it is a different story...had a six foot western diamondback in my parents neighbors yard a few years ago, the blue jays were going crazy and alerted my neighbor. animal control came out and got it

Posted By: Cappy_TX

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/12/11 12:44 PM

Sorry ... don't recall who sent this pic but I did NOT take them up on an invitation to hunt their property.

One of the ways I got to live to age 69 (so far) was to avoid intentional acts of stupidity. Doesn't mean I haven't slipped a few times, but on those occasions I was just lucky I'd guess. wink

A "good snake". Notice the rat shot hole in the head? ...

We do have snakes here on our property in the wetlands area. Not Cottonmouths, but Diamondback Water Snakes. I know they are harmless unless agitated. You'd never convince my wife, grand kids and three dawgs that the snakes are harmless. Me too. So I convert most every one I see to really "good" ones if I have a gun handy.

Posted By: bentman

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/12/11 02:38 PM

let me know when you can make it to coleman i havve a few snakes waitin on you

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/13/11 03:52 AM

Sent PMs.

We went today out at my lease but came up empty handed. I did look in one hole and see a coon though so I did find something lol

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/13/11 11:36 PM

No you sell them to be killed!

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/13/11 11:40 PM

I kill every one of them I see.

Re: Anyone with rattlesnakes on their land - 02/14/11 11:47 PM

I'm with Purvis.
I hate vermin even more than snakes.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum