Texas Hunting Forum

Black Panthers in Texas???

Posted By: Alec Castonguay

Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 03:56 AM

Ok i have seen several posts about people seeing black panthers. Then half the people say its not true and the other half say they have seen them. Well what is it? Is there any proof? i would love to see it. I am really interested in this topic and think it would be pritty cool if there really were black panthers in texas. Just would have to start bringing a pistol with me.

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 04:02 AM

no black panthers in texas.... there are cougars that look blakc when viewed from a distance or in a shadow.... If there were black panthers, they wouldve showed up on someones game cam by now in a clear and genuine picture.

Posted By: nichols

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 04:06 AM

No black mountain lion/cougar. But it is possible for there to be a black jaguar or another big black cat that has escaped captivity in Texas

Posted By: Parker

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 04:53 AM

Seen pics of them in Washington, DC.

Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 06:24 AM

Isn't the symble for the City of Fort Wort the black panther? Maybe they use to be common and no longer are?

Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 10:25 AM

I dont know about yall but I saw this one just north of Houston off of 290.

Posted By: bassackwards dav

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Sirrah243
Isn't the symble for the City of Fort Wort the black panther? Maybe they use to be common and no longer are?

It was just panther city not black panther. texas

Posted By: ijohnston

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 01:14 PM

I have seen one in Cotulla Tx on the ranch we hunt. Only seen him/her once. I am a strong believer there are more.

Posted By: Bob in TX

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 01:24 PM

Geeez.........

This is basic biology. There is no melanistic phase in cougars, hence, no black mountain lions, period. Can there be other species of escpaped large cats out there, yes. There can also be dark colored jaguarundi's or melanistic bobcats mistaken for lions, or the one in a million black phase jaguar sneaking over the border.

As far as black cougars go, it is not a matter of opinion.

And no, there has never been one shot or trapped. Why...because they don't exist.

Posted By: rkcurbow

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 01:41 PM

Non-Believers are just jealous, because they have never seen one.

Posted By: blacksabbath22-250

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob in TX
Geeez.........

This is basic biology. There is no melanistic phase in cougars, hence, no black mountain lions, period. Can there be other species of escpaped large cats out there, yes. There can also be dark colored jaguarundi's or melanistic bobcats mistaken for lions, or the one in a million black phase jaguar sneaking over the border.

And no, there has never been one shot or trapped. Why...because they don't exist.

X2

Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: blacksabbath22-250
Geeez.........

X2

You might as well tell me that there isn't a Santa Claus. My Christmas is ruined.

Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 02:16 PM

Maybe if I shoot a cougar, I'll get a full body mount and dye it black. I could have fun with that posing it in front of my buddies game camera. He claims to have seen one around his place in Edwards county. Of course he drinks a lot.

Posted By: TX4Ever

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 02:56 PM

I have personally seen a cougar size cat that was black in the East texas area just south of Canton, My grandparents told me there us to be a few and for sure i have seen them.

Posted By: fishhound

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 04:34 PM

I know a guy who said he got one on game cam. I'll see if I can get a picture.

I've had a mountain lion eating my chickens. Gonna post a thread about that.

Posted By: NDN98

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 05:09 PM

bang

Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 05:24 PM

Geeez.........

X3

There is supposed to be a very rare blck gene in the everglades sub-species. I am not sure that one has ever been documented in the wild though.

Posted By: jaymz

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 05:28 PM

Posted By: E.C.O.

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 05:50 PM

Geeez.........

Geeeez..........
Read the OP and the Title.. He is not talking about black mountain lions, he is talking about black panthers.

Posted By: Buck_N_Hook

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 06:22 PM

I here that there might be some Black Panthers traveling to the Polls in November so yall might be ready for that.

Posted By: Toddthar

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 06:28 PM

Believe it or not I have seen one between Blum and Whitney at my Aunt and Uncles place 2 summers ago and my dad saw one between Whitney and Peoria

Posted By: rstewlandman

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: jaymz

you want pics of BS, i got your pics of BS....

Posted By: obryankl

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 06:34 PM

Am I the only one that gets tired/annoyed by all this crap? I know cats are elusive and all, but how is there so much talk from the morons saying they've seen 'em, yet no pics to prove it?

Posted By: rstewlandman

Re: Black Panthers in Texas??? - 10/21/10 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: obryankl
Am I the only one that gets tired/annoyed by all this crap? I know cats are elusive and all, but how is there so much talk from the morons saying they've seen 'em, yet no pics to prove it?

why are there Big Foot Forums..... confused2

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum