Texas Hunting Forum

Sandy Hook families settle for $73M

Posted By: NORML as can be

Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 04:58 PM

Is G.M. responsible for crash deaths now?

The families of nine victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School have agreed to a $73 million settlement of a lawsuit against the maker of the rifle used to kill 20 first graders and six educators in 2012.

Remington, which made the Bushmaster AR-15-style rifle used in the massacre, also agreed to allow the families to release numerous documents they obtained during the lawsuit including ones showing how it marketed the weapon, the families said Tuesday.

https://news.yahoo.com/sandy-hook-families-agree-settlement-154237948.html?.tsrc=fin-notif
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 05:10 PM

What happened at that school is absolutely disgusting and a tragedy. I cant imagine what those families have gone through with loosing a love one. With that being said, I do not like that a firearm manufacture is being held responsible for this.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Black02z28
What happened at that school is absolutely disgusting and a tragedy. I cant imagine what those families have gone through with loosing a love one. With that being said, I do not like that a firearm manufacture is being held responsible for this.

Especially after the FBI knew the shooter and had numerous tips of his instability. rolleyes
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 05:30 PM

Slippery slope.
Posted By: leswad

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 05:32 PM

This is a BS settlement! Don’t know why they are not appealing this?
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 05:51 PM

In one of Remington’s ads, it features the rifle against a plain backdrop and the phrase: “Consider Your Man Card Reissued.”

I bet that marketing genius doesn't work there anymore.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 05:58 PM

Dang. This is bad news. Set's a precedent for every family that's lost a loved one to gun violence to start suing left and right. Is Remington gonna just get out of the black rifle business now? This is the equivalent of waiving a white flag to the anti-gunners.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 06:00 PM

In Other news, I just won 10 Million from Blue Bell because eating their product made me fat.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by dkershen
Dang. This is bad news. Set's a precedent for every family that's lost a loved one to gun violence to start suing left and right. Is Remington gonna just get out of the black rifle business now? This is the equivalent of waiving a white flag to the anti-gunners.

So reading more on this... I expect all gun manufacturers to stop selling in CT. Let's hope it doesn't spread to other states.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
In Other news, I just won 10 Million from Blue Bell because eating their product made me fat.

The problem is the gallon container, need some regulation to just sell pint size. grin
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER

Pool together and go after the weed companies for giving us the munchies.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 06:37 PM

It’s by liberal design. Can beat the 2nd so destroy the local supply via lawsuits or epa, then close borders to importation
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 07:00 PM

There will come a day when all guns are banned and we only get meat from the store or is plant based and 3D printed at home.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 07:32 PM

I doubt that I will be here that long.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 07:41 PM

Sorry for the loss; but I would have appealed till it couldn’t be done anymore.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
It’s by liberal design. Can beat the 2nd so destroy the local supply via lawsuits or epa, then close borders to importation

Dangerous precedent…
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 07:52 PM

Remington is bankrupt and gone. Is the new company on the hook for this?
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 07:53 PM

Could be a settlement with nothing to gain.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 07:54 PM

When is Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson going to pay up?
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 07:55 PM

Nope, settlement with insurers to pay what was available - 73 mil.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Black02z28

100% agree.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 08:11 PM

https://www.theblaze.com/news/remington-settles-with-sandy-hook-parents

the floodgates are open.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 09:23 PM

Remington doesn't really care. They will just pass this judgement on to the consumers to absorb.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Paluxy
Remington is bankrupt and gone. Is the new company on the hook for this?

Most likely what ever insurance they where carrying
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by TCM3

never.
they have the signatures
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

Thanks for the link. If the argument was that marketing made Remington liable, was there any proof that the shooter even knew of the marketing? If I remember correctly, he stole the gun from his mother, killed her, then went to the school. She bought the gun, I believe. From the link:

“In their case, the families and their attorneys contended that Remington violated Connecticut law and fair trade practices by promoting illegal behavior and specifically marketing their firearms to violence-prone young men.

The legal strategy was considered groundbreaking since it appeared to successfully circumvent a longstanding law, known as the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA), which protects firearm manufacturers from litigation after violent incidents involving their products.

"Driven by profit goals set by parent company Cerberus, Remington changed its previously sober approach to marketing firearms in favor of an aggressive, multi-media campaign that pushed sales of AR-15s through product placement in first-person shooter videogames and by touting the AR-15’s effectiveness as a killing machine," lawyers stated in the press release.”

This makes no sense to me, unless the insurance companies decided to settle and not bankrupt Remington. Usually insurance companies try to avoid payouts, but the article says all four insurers agreed to pay the maximum. Wow.

Terrible precedent.
Posted By: Harkriscar

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 11:40 PM

What’s the difference in auto manufacturers advertising their 500 horsepower cars and marketing them promoting their speed and performance? Guess if you drive your Mustang at 120mph and mow down an old lady, it’s all Ford’s fault?

So Ford needs to put lawn mower engines in their Mustangs, and Remington can make slingshots. Crazy world.

But let’s certainly not hold any individual responsible. That’s divisive.
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 11:46 PM

IMO, they will never take the guns because they love folks killing each other more and getting paid for it. What they are doing , just like the great O, they are generating gun sales ......................You threaten a little , create huge guns sales , folks kill each other .

Its a big club and you aint in it...... George Carlin.
Posted By: GNTX

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/15/22 11:50 PM

Just watched CBS Evening news and they ran the story. No surprise, EVERY person they interviewed was someone that would applaud the settlement. Not a single interview with someone who would raise the issues raised in this thread such as car manufacturers being held liable for drunk drivers.

Disgustingly biased liberal media at its best.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/16/22 03:33 AM

Driven by profit goals set by parent company Cerberus, Remington changed its previously sober approach to marketing firearms in favor of an aggressive, multi-media campaign that pushed sales of AR-15s through product placement in first-person shooter video games and by touting the AR-15’s effectiveness as a killing machine," lawyers stated in the press release.

I take this to mean Remington paid to have their firearms appear in video games where people are killed in virtual reality. Remington WAS NOT being sued for manufacturing the firearm, but for how they packaged and marketed it to a very specific audience.

Interesting.

Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/16/22 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

never.
they have the signatures

Yup. All the vaxers, willingly, signed away their ability to sue and allowed those companies to inject them with an experimental substance.
Posted By: Harkriscar

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/16/22 04:10 AM

Wow. So a rifle is an effective killing machine? Dang. Who would have thought that?
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/16/22 05:15 AM

Precedent has been set.. EPA is over reaching just as far.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/16/22 12:14 PM

bs

i'm buying a Remington today.

Tesla's screwed

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/16/22 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Harkriscar
Wow. So a rifle is an effective killing machine? Dang. Who would have thought that?

Based on what appears in the news report, it was Remington's decision to include the Remington name and rifle model in video games as a way to boost sales. Evidently the jury decided this was grounds for holding them accountable for a kid who was evidently influenced after playing video games to make the Bushmaster his weapon of choice. IMO, it would be like Ford allowing their name and vehicle model to be used in video games where people are run over and killed. You can't use a brand or model in such a manner without permission of the manufacturer so evidently Remington knew what was happening. Not saying it's right or wrong but trying to identify the logic being followed by the plaintiff's attorneys.

If all of this is true, the only issue I see is firearm manufacturers being much more careful in how they allow others to use their trademarks.
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/16/22 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Based on what appears in the news report, it was Remington's decision to include the Remington name and rifle model in video games as a way to boost sales. Evidently the jury decided this was grounds for holding them accountable for a kid who was evidently influenced after playing video games to make the Bushmaster his weapon of choice. IMO, it would be like Ford allowing their name and vehicle model to be used in video games where people are run over and killed. You can't use a brand or model in such a manner without permission of the manufacturer so evidently Remington knew what was happening. Not saying it's right or wrong but trying to identify the logic being followed by the plaintiff's attorneys.

The jury didn't decide anything, this was a settlement.

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/16/22 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by SherpaPhil
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

The jury didn't decide anything, this was a settlement.

Good catch. Yes, the parents decided to take Remington's offer. It's up to us to decide which side felt the most uneasy about letting a jury hear the case. Personally, I think gun owners came out better this way with gun makers getting a wake up call about how they market their offerings in a messed up world. Thankfully, it appears Remington was not held accountable for making and selling the Bushmaster. It's the day when gun makers can no longer afford to make and sell firearms that we need to worry about most.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/16/22 11:41 PM

In the minds of most people Remington admitted to being guilty by offering the settlement.

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/17/22 02:41 AM

After learning the details of this case, I have to wonder if ammo makers should at least sanity check how they've been marketing their offerings.
Posted By: ThreeFingerPete

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/18/22 04:00 AM

Just Remington letting us all down again.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/18/22 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by pegasaurus

Originally Posted by reeltexan

never.
they have the signatures

Yup. All the vaxers, willingly, signed away their ability to sue and allowed those companies to inject them with an experimental substance.

Well, it goes quite a bit deep than that:

"Ronald Reagan Created the National VICP. In 1986, Ronald Reagan signed the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act (NCVIA) into law, and this law created the VICP. The VICP protects the pharmaceutical company from liability related to vaccines. If someone suffers from a vaccine injury, they can't bring a lawsuit against the manufacturer. Instead, they must make a claim to the government, and then, they may receive compensation through this program."

Literally billions of dollars have been quietly paid to victims under this program. They all know that the damages and death are going to occur.

Marc
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/18/22 12:43 PM

There is not enough money.
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Sandy Hook families settle for $73M - 02/18/22 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
There is not enough money.

Ox, don't worry. FJB will print more.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum