Texas Hunting Forum

Funeral Cost

Posted By: Brother in-law

Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 12:35 AM

What should one preplan to pay?
Two ways
Classic
1. Basic burial, lot, casket, Digging hole/cover, small graveside service, no headstone just a plaque

2. The nobody cares cheapest cremation

Recently doing some pre planning with family and want to see an average. No elaborate service needed
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 01:03 AM

I’m being cremated. I DO Want to be a burden on someone to keep up with my ashes.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
I’m being cremated. Want to be a burden on someone to keep up with my ashes.

Yep. Don't care after that.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 01:08 AM

5 to 15k
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 01:08 AM

Donated to medical research.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 01:10 AM

I can tell you cremating a 15 week miscarriage will cost you about $800 with urn.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 01:21 AM

Chop me up, feed me to the hogs and shoot them from a helicopter on the hunt of a lifetime

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
I can tell you cremating a 15 week miscarriage will cost you about $800 with urn.

Damn. Sorry man.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 01:37 AM

It's a shame he's a beto supporter.

Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 01:40 AM

Funeral- 7k about average but they’ll try to up-sell you on everything.
Cremation- 1500$ or so if you go the Big Lebowski route.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 01:46 AM

I just wrote a check to cremate my best friend. No frills, comes with 10 original death certificates, $1450.00.

Heartbroken doesn’t cut it.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 01:48 AM

When I was selling them about 20 years ago, cheapest casket was $900 and that was basically a pine box with some sort of fabric covering. Lots were anywhere from $1000 to $5000 depending on if you were buying in an area already developed, or buying in an area the funeral home owned but hadn't started to bury people in yet. Then there's the vault (bottom half goes in ground, then casket, then vault lid), service, embalming, etc. $5000 was gonna get you out cheap and without a headstone. Nowadays, I think you're looking at about $8000 preplanned, depending on what part of the state you're in.

I'm going to have a service. I am not going to be cremated.

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by NORML as can be

Terrible

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 01:50 AM

$1450 for a $5 fire is re-dam-diculous
Posted By: Greg

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 01:54 AM

8-10k
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 01:55 AM

$930.
Posted By: texasag93

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 02:43 AM

Feel you brother.

Ours was 37 weeks, cost us $52... no urn. The undertaker did it as a service. He did not talk to me. I assume he had a similar event.

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law

Terrible

I know he recorded it in October of this year, He quit smoking cause His Lungz are giving out from the abuse. See the deep breaths he takes? I can feel it creeping up on me I quit smoking Cigarettes a few years ago and that helped buy me some time, But I'm not getting any younger.

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 03:20 AM

He’s almost 90!

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 03:34 AM

He doing good for 90 and that life
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 04:32 AM

When dad passed in 2018, we had him cremated and a service at the funeral home. I think it was around $5,000.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 04:34 AM

Contact MDMorrow on here, this is his business
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 05:18 AM

We paid about $7,500.00 back in May without the plot, and it was a pretty simple/basic funeral. Others are right, they will try to upsell you and get you to buy unnecessary stuff. We saved about 500.00 by going to a wholesale casket company vs buying from the funeral home. Make sure someone is there that isn’t making emotional decisions when planning the funeral.
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 05:28 AM

There are lots of variables do you have a plot already, is the place that you will be buried perpetual care like Restland? If you have the plot already you can plan on $5,000 to $12,000. If you don’t have a plot already there is the cost for that. You do not have to buy the the casket from the funeral home, if you are a large person a casket cost more, the only time you see the casket is during the visitation and for a short time during the service, who cares about the quality of the lining or comfort you’re dead.

We buried my stepdad on Nov 10th of 2016 at the National Cemetery, they provided the plot, we provided the casket, and it still ran around $7000 I believe.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by texasag93

Feel you brother.

Ours was 37 weeks, cost us $52... no urn. The undertaker did it as a service. He did not talk to me. I assume he had a similar event.

angel angel
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 11:56 AM

Condolences and comfort to the loss on this thread.

Just out of curiosity, how much does an old-fashioned stand up granite headstone cost these days? No one in my family in my life has ever had one, but on a recent drive up through the panhandle I noticed more than one headstone company in a few little towns.
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 12:52 PM

I have no idea how much a stand up granite head stone is but I do know most of the cemetery’s in larger cities won’t allow them if it is a perpetual care cemetery. They want to be able to mow over the head stones with much ease as possible.

My wife’s is all paid for with the exception of the opening and closing and that has gone from $500 to $800 in the last 10 years and she being buried above ground.
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law

Terrible

Never understood why people think that he could sing. He sounded horrible then and now and I guess you had to be high to think he could sing. Plus being a Beto fan surprised a lot of people.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 06:25 PM

A-Cremation in Mesquite

$695 all in (no urn)

They are great. I used them twice. When your loved one passes, just call the number, they will send someone to get the body. They will call you when to come pick up the ashes nicely boxed up to do with what you want.

Like my Sister said when I asked her what she wanted, she said "I don't care, the best part of me will be gone".
Posted By: Undercoverdog

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 08:54 PM

I learned more about cremation than I want to know this year, about 800$ no frills.

You can legally scatter ashes anywhere in Texas except for waterways,that is rivers,Lakes and streams.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 09:08 PM

Posted in another thread - Mom prepaid for cremation. $900 and they even had her ashes spread off the coast of Oregon for no charge. Sent us a certificate of spreading with exact GPS coordinates.My siblings and I paid for a Memorial service at church - less than $500.
Posted By: Undercoverdog

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
I’m being cremated. I DO Want to be a burden on someone to keep up with my ashes.

I know an older woman that has admitted to having ashes of 3 husbands and a daughter on a shelf in her closet. angel
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 09:24 PM

I have told my wife and daughters many times to take the tour of Bryant Denny stadium and sprinkle a little of me on the field.
It’s like I’m explaining how to split the atom. They’re gonna mess it up, I know it.

They ask stuff like, will they let us ? I say no.
Do it secretly. Like Andy Dufrane from Shawshank redemption.
Posted By: nak

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/13/20 09:26 PM

Just tell the family not to claim the body. The county will have a contract with a medical school or a crematorium.
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/14/20 03:25 PM

I'm thinking of donating my body to forensics. They put your body in a field and watch how it decays and how long it takes for certain weather conditions.

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/14/20 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Undercoverdog
I learned more about cremation than I want to know this year, about 800$ no frills.

You can legally scatter ashes anywhere in Texas except for waterways,that is rivers,Lakes and streams.

oops bolt
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/14/20 03:49 PM

Spread my brother over Lake Somerville.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/14/20 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

oops bolt

Me too. A big oops.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/14/20 03:57 PM

My dads in 2016 was around 7 grand. We already owned the lot and his headstone was already there, just had to put the info on it.
Posted By: MO

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/14/20 09:31 PM

East Texas , 825$ cremation bill boards everywhere.

My Mom and Mother in Law's funerals were about 10 K.

Mo
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Funeral Cost - 12/14/20 11:03 PM

Holler at me. I'll hook you up with a great final expense policy! Or term, iul, gul etc!
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Funeral Cost - 01/12/21 01:23 PM

Wife and I have opted for cremation. Since I’m 11 years older than her, I told her to toss my ashes out on our place South of Bowie.

A bachelor buddy told a couple of us to have him created and his ashes spread out in a lake. I told him we would flush his ashes down the toilet and sooner or later, they would wind up in a lake.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Funeral Cost - 01/12/21 01:32 PM

I just paid for a cremation last week. $1300 with 20 death certificates.

Re: Funeral Cost - 01/12/21 01:44 PM

It was $930 for me.

Re: Funeral Cost - 01/12/21 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.

oops bolt

Me too. A big oops.

Who would have thought there was even a law on that. Seems dumb to me.

I’m changing my answer. Get all the guys (and gals!) together and have a big ol THF bonfire and light me up while y’all throw down some serious pasture partying. The next day toss a handful of my ashes around somebody’s garden. The next season, have Skinnerback cook at another get together so all my friends can eat me. I’ll watch from above, creeper style, while I giggle about having the last laugh roflmao
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Funeral Cost - 01/12/21 02:48 PM

My Mom's funeral in Nov 2019 was $10,900 and my Dad's was around $9000 in 2014.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Funeral Cost - 01/12/21 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by nak
Just tell the family not to claim the body. The county will have a contract with a medical school or a crematorium.

I've had a nagging worry that my idiot sister-in-law forgot to go by and pick up my brother's ashes. Oh well.

oops bolt

Me too. A big oops.

Of course you can guess what my wife's parents instructions are. rolleyes
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Funeral Cost - 01/12/21 02:51 PM

We priced it recently and was around $10k and $1k for the plot.

We were looking at around $20k for both me and my wife and we're going to start paying for it even though we are only 36.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Funeral Cost - 01/12/21 04:07 PM

I'm going in PK, I don't care what they say. bolt
Posted By: kevin24

Re: Funeral Cost - 04/07/21 01:34 PM

You can't even die because it cost an arm and leg.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Funeral Cost - 04/07/21 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by nak

I've had a nagging worry that my idiot sister-in-law forgot to go by and pick up my brother's ashes. Oh well.

oops bolt

Me too. A big oops.

Of course you can guess what my wife's parents instructions are. rolleyes

And I would follow the instructions. up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Funeral Cost - 04/07/21 02:23 PM

I can’t afford to die.....and to make matters worse, I’m worth more dead than alive.... bang

Re: Funeral Cost - 04/07/21 05:05 PM

i still have my brother in law's ashes in my garage. haven't made it to college station to spread him confused2

Re: Funeral Cost - 04/07/21 05:29 PM

$88,500

https://www.mmamania.com/2020/6/3/2...-check-pay-george-floyd-funeral-expenses
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Funeral Cost - 04/07/21 06:55 PM

Cremation planned for me.

Funny story... when my dad passed, I was at his house when the funeral home came to pick him up. This is in Carencro, LA (right by Lafayette) and the two guys that came to pick him up introduced themselves as Boudreaux and Thibodeaux, real names. We all had a big laugh at that tough moment.

Charlie
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Funeral Cost - 04/07/21 06:59 PM

i still have my brother in law's ashes in my garage. haven't made it to college station to spread him confused2

My son is a cameraman for 12th Man Prod., usually first base camera. If you want him spread down the first base line, LMK. smile

Charlie
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Funeral Cost - 04/07/21 07:00 PM

Not exactly on topic, but when I was in Marine Boot Camp, there was a fellow from Lafayette named Thibodeaux. The DI called out his name as “Thy bow dee ax”. Being from Louisiana, under normal conditions I’d have laughed. But I didn’t.

Re: Funeral Cost - 04/07/21 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieCTx

My son is a cameraman for 12th Man Prod., usually first base camera. If you want him spread down the first base line, LMK. smile

Charlie

up
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Funeral Cost - 04/07/21 09:28 PM

My dad has a plot that was donated to him decades ago at Umbarger cemetery where he used to teach. He already has the headstone in place from when mom passed and just needs the death date added. He told us to please do a cremation and to bury him by mom with a post hole digger. (that's how we interred mom's ashes.). We'll respect his wishes, but I hope it's years before we get there.

As for me, I've left instructions for cremation, a good feed for the friends and family, and then find a bush that looks like it could use some potassium and phosphorus to use my ashes on.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Funeral Cost - 04/07/21 09:30 PM

Cremation for me

Re: Funeral Cost - 04/07/21 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Cremation for me
Posted By: jacobmartin

Re: Funeral Cost - 04/08/21 12:22 PM

Yeah, that's really bad. Everything is so expensive now. I'm thinking about moving to a census town from the noisy city where I live.
Posted By: ross9

Re: Funeral Cost - 04/08/21 12:30 PM

A friend of mine paid $1000 for his father's cremation last year. His father died because of covid-19-induced complications. It was horrible. This virus is like a horseman of the apocalypse. Next week is my aunt's funeral. She was 87 yo, and doctors said she died because she was old, not because of the virus or any disease. She lived in Australia and, unfortunately, I can't be at her funeral, and I feel really bad because of this. The only way to be at her funeral, even not physically, is to call funeral streaming services. This service helps people like me, who can't attend the funeral because of personal or other reasons.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Funeral Cost - 04/08/21 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by copperhead
I'm thinking of donating my body to forensics. They put your body in a field and watch how it decays and how long it takes for certain weather conditions.

There’s a body farm outside of town here on the Freeman Ranch.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Funeral Cost - 04/08/21 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
I can’t afford to die.....and to make matters worse, I’m worth more dead than alive.... bang

I tell my wife this same thing all the time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum