Only need a small one with a scoop and bush hog for odd jobs around the camp
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 04:56 PM

Man....did you just open up a can of worms. popcorn
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Man....did you just open up a can of worms. popcorn

Yessir! I might as well get it started. You can't go wrong with a John Deere.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 05:06 PM

Haha I have to do something to stir it up a little . I’m looking at a Deere sub compact 1025
Posted By: Kevin_M

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 05:17 PM

A buddy of mine has the 2032R and he loves it. They're kinda pricey though but then again, they all are.
Posted By: Fatdaddy

Branson
Posted By: Fatdaddy

Kubota
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 05:29 PM

How small?

How big is your camp property? What all would you need/like it to be able to do?

Maybe think used or refurbished?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 05:29 PM

John Deer will stand behind all their equipment except their manure spreader. banana
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 05:38 PM

Check Mahindra out
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 05:39 PM

The best tractor for the money is;
the one that is paid for.
does what you need it to do.
has easy access to parts and or service.
supported by a good local dealer.

Color paint makes little difference.

Define small tractor
35hp or less, or under 65hp, or under 100hp.

How much weight do you need to lift with the FEL?

If you aren't experienced with tractors talking with member Navasot would be a good idea.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 05:41 PM

Someone else's
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 05:42 PM

I have a John Deere 3038e. That dude is a work horse. I probably run it a little harder than it was meant but it just keeps on grinding. I've been very impressed with it's power for a small tractor. So far no issues that I didn't cause grin
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 05:50 PM

My advice would be: Buy bigger than you think you will need. I have a 60hp workmaster and a 5065 deere cab tractor. I regret not buying the 75 when I bought the new one.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by hunting.nut
Kubota

X2 go with a Kubooty!

We have a 70 horse kubota m6800 , except for oil changes, and rebuilt the hydraulic cylinders that tractor is bullet proof.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by pokerj2
My advice would be: Buy bigger than you think you will need. I have a 60hp workmaster and a 5065 deere cab tractor. I regret not buying the 75 when I bought the new one.

Ditto what is in quote. Just like a boat go bigger than what meets your current needs.

"A little tractor can do little jobs, a big tractor can do all jobs."

I found out the hard way bought a 35 hp Kubota, had to sell and got a 52 hp with a bucket much happerier now.
Made money selling the smaller one so no issue there. Take care of it and park in barn if possible to maintain value.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rustler
The best tractor for the money is;
the one that is paid for.
does what you need it to do.
has easy access to parts and or service.
supported by a good local dealer.

Color paint makes little difference.

Define small tractor
35hp or less, or under 65hp, or under 100hp.

How much weight do you need to lift with the FEL?

If you aren't experienced with tractors talking with member Navasot would be a good idea.

also how fast do you want to work? A lot of the smaller to medium size (25-40 hp) tractors will do pretty much of what most people need for a small job tractor, the larger the hp, typically the faster you can do things. GPM flow rates usually go up with more hp also, again, speed of hydraulics.
I'm a fan of Kubota but I have a "good" local dealer(s) where I can get parts and service if needed. That in itself speaks volumes for whatever brand you opt to go with, a good dealer interface is HUGE to most people.

I won't speak ill of all the other brands, they have good point and bad points to all of them. Its just Kubota has been a solid performer for me for over 30 years and multiple tractors and sizes without any major issues.
Posted By: huck18

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 06:40 PM

Best bang for the buck is:

Kioti
Mahindra
Bransom

Check out all their models in your size/price range and see which one you like best.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 07:11 PM

The best advice already given here is to call on Navasot. He is the resident expert.

I have a 50 hp Kubota and have not had a single issue in my 5 years of ownership. Really, most of the brands are going to do what you need and pretty reliably. JD, Kubota, Mahindra, Kioti, TYM, NH, and even Bobcat now is back into the utility tractor space - best news, shopping is fun!
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 07:33 PM

Buy an older used tractor in good mechanical condition, dont worry about faded paint or scratches/dents. That is the best one for the money.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Someone else's

A very wise man.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Thekitch

Define scoop!
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 08:00 PM

I could have bought any 50 HP tractor I wanted. I bought Mahinda couple years back. Its seems to be what I like. Also lots of dealers.

My second would have more than likely been a Kubota.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 08:31 PM

I have a 15+ year old JD, 40 HP, bought new. About 35 hp; don’t really remember. It’s done everything I’ve asked of it. I use it as a utility tractor but also put in food plots. No complaints other than the plastics on my rocky place.

Best advice I got when I started looking? A tractor without a FEL is only half a tractor. A FEL without 4wd is useless. Don’t get turf tires.

I would stay away from the Chinese made junk or non name brands.. No way to get parts or repairs.
Posted By: pdr55

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nathan at Fork
Buy an older used tractor in good mechanical condition, dont worry about faded paint or scratches/dents. That is the best one for the money.

Yep!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 09:39 PM

That's what I do.
Like most things, the older stuff was built better.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/01/20 11:39 PM

This is a good idea with some limitations.

I have re-built several of them, John Deere, Case, and a few IH and Fords for some of old the locals around here that wanted a new tractor, but didn't like what the modern market offered. Most of them were mid 70's to mid 80's year models. I did full rebuilds on the whole tractor for them and painted a couple of them as well, they were like new. They end up with more than they are worth usually, but they trust them and know they can get them repaired locally if they ever need it. The big disadvantage to this is that not many were built with front wheel assist and/or shuttle shift, and today's users normally want these.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by hunting.nut
Kubota

^^^^^^
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 12:04 AM

Branson seems to have a good value in the 20-30hp range.
Posted By: glens

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 02:05 AM

Most new have emission crap on um. Don't idle um or big problems. Mahindra's don't. Or the 2018 38 hp hydro doesn't.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Thekitch

Is this for you or a group on the lease? Some people treat other people like it is their own, other treat it like they do not care.

A used one can be great, but if you are mechanically challenged, your cost for the tractor can quickly go from reasonable to expensive.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 11:02 AM

I would find one that doesn’t have plastic everything. The sun will dry rot all of it before the tractor wears out.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 02:16 PM

Lack of plastic was one of the reasons I bought a Kubota. And mine was a pre-DEF model, thank goodness. If I was buying another new tractor, I would definitely consider Mahindra if they really do have a non-DEF system that doesn’t have its own set of problems.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 02:45 PM

Kubota!
Posted By: cm250

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 03:43 PM

Kubota x’3. Any John Deere less than 85 horse is a Yanmar with green and yellow paint. bang
Posted By: Ruger1980

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 04:26 PM

Get an old school John Deere 4420. Big enough for most jobs and bulletproof. You can fix almost anything yourself
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 04:40 PM

https://www.billstractor.com/defaul...;s=Stock&d=A&fr=xCustomInventory
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 04:53 PM

Kubota here. One my 2nd one. 1st one was used and abused and still got many years of service out of it.

Did a lot of research, and looked at a lot of mid-sized tractors before I bought my new Kubota. Here is my synopsis... I ranked and equated each major brand to auto makers to give you an idea of reliability and resale. This is just my opinion.

1. Kubota = Honda/Toyota
2. Mahindra = Hyundai
3. John Deere = Ford
4. New Holland = Chevy
5. Case = Dodge

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 05:02 PM

wow, I didn't know Bill's was still around. There used to be a Bill's in Liberty Hill when I was looking for a tractor, I gave it serious consideration and poof, they were gone.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 05:10 PM

Kioti any good?

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Txhunter65
Kioti any good?

I seriously consider both JD and Kioti before buying Kubota. Honestly, the Kioti was the most well equipped for the money. For roughly the same price as I paid for my gear drive MX, the comparable Kioti came with hydrostatic trans, rear remotes, and third function on loader. The downside was dealer network and if any issues, I was going to have to get it back to Fort Worth for service. With Kubota and JD, there are much closer dealers.
Posted By: HLo

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 06:46 PM

We had a Case and had constant problems. Switched to a Kubota and hope it lasts a long time with even 1/2 the problems as the Case. would be an improvement! Resale of JD and Kubota is pretty darn good! Our Case, not so much.
Posted By: huck18

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Txhunter65
Kioti any good?

Kioti tractors have the most bells and whistles for the price. I was able to get a Kioti (DK4710 SE) with a hydrostatic transmission, front 3rd function valve, 4x4, link pedal, for about the same price as a Mahindra without the 3rd function, hydrostat, etc... They also move more hydraulic fluid than any of the others in their class. So far I have no complaints with the Kioti.
Posted By: Ktexas14

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 07:23 PM

My dad bought a Yanmar. It has served pretty well the past couple of years with light use.

Supposedly yanmar made engines for JD and sometimes whole tractors sold as JD for years.
Posted By: Phlash

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 09:59 PM

9N or 600 series Ford. You can still get parts. I've been running a 1958 Model 631 for the last 35 years. Had to replace gas tank, gauges, tires and a 12v alternator since I put it into service. We run a 709 JD mower behind it through low heavy brush along fencelines and roads.

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 10:03 PM

In a way, I kinda wish I still had my Ford 651 and 951 diesel ... but they did their job well for many, many years, it was time for them to move on along when I sold them. For a good little tractor around small jobs, hard to be a properly maintained 8N, 9N or Jubilee.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 10:39 PM

Dang...nobody recommends Navasot anymore?

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by NewGulf

Page one, he got a mention banana
Posted By: Redneck Messiah

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 11:10 PM

the small JD's are just Yanmars, you might as well look at those
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 04/02/20 11:15 PM

Mahindra has been real good for me. The 59 horse power has done any and everything I could ask. I built roads with it through the Val Verde County brush that a still visible today on google earth.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 06/11/20 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by LonestarCobra

I also dont get on as much as I did back a few years ago. I need to tag my email in my sig to be sure I dont miss anyones message like I did recently
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 06/11/20 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Navasot
Originally Posted by LonestarCobra

I also dont get on as much as I did back a few years ago. I need to tag my email in my sig to be sure I dont miss anyones message like I did recently

welcome

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 06/11/20 09:12 PM

roflmao
Posted By: pdr55

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 06/11/20 09:16 PM

You still doing goats ? roflmao

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 06/11/20 09:58 PM

Still selling them at least
Posted By: don k

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 06/11/20 10:58 PM

I bought a Mahindra. I have put 175 hours on it in less than a year. So far very impressed. Had help with Navasot with pricing from a local dealer. He is a good guy to work with.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 06/12/20 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
John Deer will stand behind all their equipment except their manure spreader. banana

That's BS right there.
Posted By: GUTIT

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 06/12/20 01:21 AM

I own a custom hay baling and land management company along with my construction company. Two New Hollands, a John Deere 4440 and a Massey 165. The New Hollands are 4wd, cab AC with Fel and 120 hp. 4440 is tough but doesn’t have the “comfort” features the New Hollands have. Had a fuel level sensor go out on one New Holland and that is all. Run them 10-12 hours a day during hay season. No issues.
JD is just Ol Faithful and I can repair anything on it in my shop.

I run JD balers and cutters.

Bobcat ams Kubota for skidsteers.

Have had most all other brands and these are what have proven to me to be the best for what I use them for and the price.

For anything under 50 Hp, the little orange and red ones seem to do fine if they are not used hard. Lighter frame and not made for heavy work.

Just an opinion from a man that has owned tractors all his life.
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 06/12/20 03:04 AM

I have a Mahindra dealer not far from my lake house and a good one to boot. Thats why I bought a mahindra. I bought a 50 hp, which is about right for what I do at my deer lease around my place at the lake.

Mahindra is a heavy tractor, was originally International as I understand. I got a good deal and really happy with it. I'd sell my bass boat before I'd get rid of my tractor.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 06/12/20 03:49 AM

Kioti is pound for pound the best tractor in the compact class. I’ve got a CK4510 with hydro and love it. Would have liked to bump up to the DK for a little bit bigger frame size. The controls - pedals and loader joystick are the most thoughtfully laid out. I absolutely hate the way Kubota has the “rocker” pedal on their hydros and the location of the stick up on the FEL bracket.

With that said - they’ll all get the job done - what matters most is having a local and good dealer. Luckily I do, but so far 300 trouble free hours this past year and haven’t needed them.

Also - if you’ve got the $$$ get a cab. Wish I went that route because I had forgotten how dang hot it was shredding pastures in upper 90 degree weather with no breeze. Also wasps.
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 06/12/20 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by topwater13
I would find one that doesn’t have plastic everything. The sun will dry rot all of it before the tractor wears out.

^^^ This here, I've replaced the plastic on my JD's twice and they need it again. The all metal Mahindra I got from Navasot has been trouble free for a few years now.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 06/12/20 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by yotehater

^^^ This here, I've replaced the plastic on my JD's twice and they need it again. The all metal Mahindra I got from Navasot has been trouble free for a few years now.

I’ve worked a 59 HP mahindra that was bought from Gavin, hard and it’s been extremely solid tractor. Only way I’d own a JD tractor outside of a combine would be if I also owned dealership.

Personally JD has destroyed the industry with the lack of the right to diagnose and work on your own tractor. If it wasn’t already high way robbery on parts as it was.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 06/12/20 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by yotehater

That’s part of why I like Kioti - all metal
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 06/12/20 01:26 PM

Do you want new or used? I didnt read through all of the comments so if you already answered i apologize.

I have two mid-'80s model Fords, a 5610 and a 6610. Less than 1500 hours on each of them. Both have front end loaders and rear remote hydraulics. They are great machines and always start when i need them. Very little electronics, and simple to work on even for me.

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 06/12/20 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cochise
Also - if you’ve got the $$$ get a cab. Wish I went that route because I had forgotten how dang hot it was shredding pastures in upper 90 degree weather with no breeze. Also wasps.

Completely agree with this - if I were to do it over, I would have a cab. To beat the heat, I will usually shred in the early morning or evening. Yes it is cooler, but often the trade off is mosquitoes. There are times when I just have to quit cuz they are so bad at these times of the day. Wasps, hornets, bumble bees, etc. - also all reasons for a cab.

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 06/12/20 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Personally JD has destroyed the industry with the lack of the right to diagnose and work on your own tractor.

I agree, that part is ridiculous. I have over 20 JD Industrial engines running water pumps, and having the dealer come repair a problem has been an issue. I have found the dirt moving guys are better than the farm guys at these, the worst part is that 9L JD engine is a beast, and they last a long time (I just rebuilt the first one and it went 21,210 hours), but when you do need their computer they have slow response times and it is very expensive. The big mistake I made was switching to Cummins on these since I have their Insite software and don't have to wait on them. I have never had a bigger piece of cr@p engine than these things.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 06/12/20 02:53 PM

Your neighbor's tractor!
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 06/12/20 02:54 PM

Glad we have a consensus. roflmao

I've had 4 tractors.

Favorite - JD
Good deal for money - TYM- built tractors (look them up - they make a lot)
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 06/12/20 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

Check Mahindra out

IMO Mahindra is the best buy for under 40HP. I have no experience with anything larger.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 06/12/20 04:57 PM

I have a 40hp Mahindra that has been quite reliable.

Next week I am buying a 65hp John Deere with cab. It is NOT cheep!
Posted By: cm250

Re: Best tractor for the money ? - 06/12/20 07:21 PM

Was raised on a dairy farm, when work was done there, helped neighbors. Have used and driven everything from Minneapolis Molines, JD’s, International’s,Massey Ferguson’s, to Sames( yes it is a brand or used to be) this was 25-40 hrs ago when tractor were tractors and made to last. Newer ones, well built to look pretty and look good in your yard. Some better than others. Have an old 966 international, and a 2005 Kubota M5700 4x4 with FEL, and an old Massey Ferguson To-30. Have served me well. Just my 2cents
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum