Texas Hunting Forum

Selling Taxidermy Mounts

Posted By: Ox190

Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 01/24/10 11:57 PM

Is it illegal to sell Duck mounts? And if not is there a market for it? I have a friend who no longer has room for all of his and he has a very large selection.

Posted By: LadyTaxi

Re: Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 01/25/10 12:58 AM

it is not legal

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 01/25/10 02:21 AM

You can sell them if they were farm raised and you have all the paperwork.

Posted By: population-control

Re: Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 01/25/10 10:07 AM

You can give them away but you can't trade or take money for wild ducks that were killed. It sucks because pen raised ducks usually dont have the color as wild ones. I mounted a mallard i killed and gave to my preacher to put in his office, this is legal.

Posted By: Ox190

Re: Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 01/25/10 02:48 PM

Sucks for him, I guess he will have to store them or give them away. A lot of these are his dads, who no longer wants them, and he duck hunted for 50 years on his family farm in Ellis County. When I said large selection I should have said HUGE collection.

Posted By: BillingtonRanchTaxidermy

Re: Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 01/25/10 05:48 PM

You can donate the collection to an educational institution like a school, college or museum, but you cannot sell them nor barter for them. Totally antiquated wildlife law for sure, but try and argue with beaurocrats. It's useless and I don't see a change on this law coming up anytime soon.

Posted By: Sprman

Re: Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 01/27/10 05:40 PM

If he ever want's to give some away, i'll gladly take some for decoration in the deer camp!! clap

Posted By: Jasb

Re: Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 01/27/10 06:20 PM

Yup I'll take some.....can you trade them?

Posted By: FamousAmos

Re: Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 01/27/10 06:42 PM

I know a man who cleared out a game room and advertised a whitetail deer head for sale. Game wardens came to his house and confiscated his mounts. This was 10 years of so ago in Granbury.

Re: Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 01/28/10 03:51 AM

I'm pretty sure you can sell deer mounts and the such just not migratory birds.

Posted By: HornHunter

Re: Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 01/28/10 04:32 AM

If you have a wood duck, would be happy to take off your hands..I have a spot for him in my house..

Posted By: Brushwolf

Re: Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 01/28/10 02:36 PM

Unless it was Pen raised with papers you can't ..

Posted By: Sprman

Re: Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 01/28/10 08:34 PM

Unless they were given away..

Posted By: bigdavehunting

Re: Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 01/31/10 09:03 PM

Sell the log it's on and say the bird is free. The bird comes with it. The log or wood is one of a kind. worth 100- 200 dollars.

Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 01/31/10 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: bigdavehunting
Sell the log it's on and say the bird is free. The bird comes with it. The log or wood is one of a kind. worth 100- 200 dollars.

Good Idea!

Re: Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 01/31/10 10:43 PM

Good luck with that.

Posted By: DeeCee

Re: Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 01/31/10 11:37 PM

Not such a good idea!

Re: Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 02/01/10 12:31 AM

As long as the guy buying it knows he's buying the log. It is what it is. I talked to a guy with a badge that drove a green truck one time and we had a conversation about something like this one time, and the just of the conversation was, it is what it is, a piece of wood. Now if your selling whats on the wood? you can't do that. You get a reciept for the base (wood what ever) don't mention the bird. Besides, Its free he's giving you whats on the wood. good luck with my free information. It is what it is. A piece of wood

Posted By: TAT

Re: Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 02/01/10 01:01 AM

sounds like its time to sale your wood!!! haha i made a funny.

Re: Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 02/01/10 03:18 AM

Do what you gotta do Dave. I will not set myself up for failure!

Re: Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 02/01/10 03:38 AM

neither will I, but that is what I was told by the guy driven the green truck. I don't buy or sell ducks or turkeys when I shoot them they go on the wall. No turkeys but I do save the beards.

Re: Selling Taxidermy Mounts - 02/01/10 03:20 PM

I hear you, but one of these days I do want to do a flying turkey.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum