Texas Hunting Forum

European mounts in garage

Posted By: Eland Slayer

European mounts in garage - 07/31/18 03:00 AM

Is it okay for European mounts to be kept in a garage (non-air conditioned) long-term? Will they deteriorate at all from the temperature/humidity fluctuations?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: European mounts in garage - 07/31/18 03:05 AM

We kept them in a large enclosed metal barn in a very humid climate. It was hot as heck in the summer and cold in the winter. Some of them were in there 7+ years and stilled look good. Direct sunlight or rainfall I would think would be the worst thing for them. Some of the ones that were about the same age that were hung up on a windmill tower in the heat, rain, sun and high humidity looked horrible. Really chalky and cracked. They looked like they had been there 20 yrs when they had only been there 7 or less.
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: European mounts in garage - 07/31/18 06:15 PM

I live near the coast and have a bunch hanging up in an insulated metal shop. Some have been there 10+ years without issue
Posted By: DavidC.

Re: European mounts in garage - 07/31/18 09:35 PM

Bring em inside!
DC
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: European mounts in garage - 09/07/18 05:37 PM

Your darn right they will deteriorate! I had some in my garage for about 3 years. These south Texas temperatures will make the skull very brittle and dry the heck out of them. If the skull hits the concrete, you will be sweeping up a thousand mini pieces of skull.
Posted By: Dansmith30cal

Re: European mounts in garage - 12/09/18 12:15 AM

If they are bleached they will turn brown in a year or 2. You can always paint them white and they seem to hold up alot longer.
Posted By: Dansmith30cal

Re: European mounts in garage - 12/09/18 12:15 AM

If they are bleached they will turn brown in a year or 2. You can always paint them white and they seem to hold up alot longer.
Posted By: Erny

Re: European mounts in garage - 12/18/18 01:08 AM

I have several in a shed. Have no issues.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum