Texas Hunting Forum

No Bearskin Blanket?

Posted By: JB1316

No Bearskin Blanket? - 05/10/18 05:15 PM

Im getting a little obsessed with the idea of doing a Black Bear hunt in the next few years. I hear the meat is great, and a throw or blanket made of Black Bear would be pretty cool to break out every winter while relaxing at night. It's weird though, I can hardly find anything online about bear skin blankets though. All i find online are rugs when looking into pricing and general aesthetics. Is there a reason people always make these into rugs and not blankets? The only thing I can think would be keeping the head on the skin - but I cant see my wife going for that in our home so that idea doesnt really apply to my situation. Im not really thinking full on comforter for the king size or anything, just a throw I can leave on the couch that's got another level of badassery to it.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: No Bearskin Blanket? - 05/10/18 06:57 PM

Maybe the weight would be prohibitive of a blanket?
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: No Bearskin Blanket? - 05/10/18 09:32 PM

Should be toasty on a cold winter night...
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: No Bearskin Blanket? - 05/10/18 09:57 PM

A simple tanned bear hide (with the head even) might suit your needs just fine.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: No Bearskin Blanket? - 05/12/18 11:36 AM

I haven't seen it in years, I'm sure one of my cousins has it, but my grandfather had a bear skin with a Hudson Bay point blanket cut to shape and stitched to it with some quilting. Probably overkill. That thing would roast you.

Re: No Bearskin Blanket? - 05/13/18 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
I haven't seen it in years, I'm sure one of my cousins has it, but my grandfather had a bear skin with a Hudson Bay point blanket cut to shape and stitched to it with some quilting. Probably overkill. That thing would roast you.
Yea, something like that or even a lighter microfiber liner I think would be awesome. Just weird to not see anything like that when googling around.Maybe Benbob is on to something though - the weight being a bit much. not sure how much a bear skin weighs but it's probably not as light as your casual couch blanket...
Posted By: nyalubwe

Re: No Bearskin Blanket? - 05/13/18 10:56 PM

I killed a big one a few years ago and instead of having it mounted on felt like a rug, I had the taxidermist sew a Vellux blanket instead of felt to back it with. Trimmed it the same as felt and voila! As someone mentioned its real toasty on a cold Montana winter night, but as someone else mentioned..it is heavy, so you dont do a lot of rolling around under it.

Re: No Bearskin Blanket? - 05/14/18 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: nyalubwe
I killed a big one a few years ago and instead of having it mounted on felt like a rug, I had the taxidermist sew a Vellux blanket instead of felt to back it with. Trimmed it the same as felt and voila! As someone mentioned its real toasty on a cold Montana winter night, but as someone else mentioned..it is heavy, so you dont do a lot of rolling around under it.

That's just what Im looking for. Very cool. How much would you guess it weighs?
Posted By: snake oil

Re: No Bearskin Blanket? - 05/15/18 04:01 PM

Mine with the head on probably weights 35+ lbs...........
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum