Texas Hunting Forum

skull whitening with 3% hydrogen peroxide?

Posted By: Duck Buster

skull whitening with 3% hydrogen peroxide? - 01/15/18 05:58 PM

Has anyone on here done it? How long do you let them soak?I only have access to 3% peroxide, Is it worth trying? I can't get stronger hydrogen peroxide to ship to rural alaska without ridiculously expensive hazmat fees.

If not, do the whitening kits online work on skulls 2 weeks after fleshing and cleaning? is there a timeline to be able to use those?

I cleaned my mountain goat, lynx, and wolf skulls yesterday. Wanting to whiten them, but never done that process before. Looking for some advice.

Thanks.
Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: skull whitening with 3% hydrogen peroxide? - 01/15/18 07:33 PM

I would thoroughly degrease them before beginning the whitening process. Degreasing alone will whiten the skulls. I use 12% on the whitening and let that set for about 24 hrs.

Re: skull whitening with 3% hydrogen peroxide? - 01/15/18 09:14 PM

Thanks,

I had already de-greased them. I was hoping they would look white enough afterwards They were still just very brown/dark for my liking. Didn't look bad, but wanted them lighter.

I have them soaking in the 3% solution for about 3 hours now, and they are already remarkably whiter. I think I will let them set until tomorrow morning and pull them out before I go to work. If I can figure out photos, I will kpost some before/afterwards.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: skull whitening with 3% hydrogen peroxide? - 01/15/18 10:13 PM

where do you get the 3 % ?
Got a boars head I want to do

Re: skull whitening with 3% hydrogen peroxide? - 01/16/18 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: ccoker

It’s the generic grade hydrogen peroxide you can get at your local grocery store in the medicine section. Buy in bulk if you can, you’ll need to cover the entire skull.

Salons use 12% to bleach hair. If you can find that, it’s just supposed to work faster.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: skull whitening with 3% hydrogen peroxide? - 01/16/18 03:14 AM

oh.. yeah, we have that..
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: skull whitening with 3% hydrogen peroxide? - 01/16/18 05:10 AM

Originally Posted By: ccoker

Check on Amazon, you can buy it by the gallon. They even have 35% percent, but I have only used the 12% but have read on some forums that the 35% is safe to use. If you have a Sally Beauty Supply or any other beauty supply house in your area, you can get it there.

Re: skull whitening with 3% hydrogen peroxide? - 01/16/18 07:53 PM

Here are the skulls after fleshing and before de-greasing. Wolf on the left, Mountain goat with horns set on, and lynx on the right

Wolf skull after 3% solution for 8 hours. My gun was a little off and I hit her in the nasal cavity, and then the zygomatic arch on the right. Ended up having to put one through the lungs to kill her.

Mountain goat skull after 3% solution for 8 hours. I will reattach horns once dry.

Lynx skull after 8 hours. This one lightened up the least.

I personally don't like skulls bleach white. I like them to look more "natural", so I didn't soak them as long, as these were my desired shade.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: skull whitening with 3% hydrogen peroxide? - 01/17/18 02:38 AM

They look good. up
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: skull whitening with 3% hydrogen peroxide? - 01/18/18 08:53 PM

I use 40% from Amazon.
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: skull whitening with 3% hydrogen peroxide? - 01/18/18 08:54 PM

Posted By: Bulldog4949

Re: skull whitening with 3% hydrogen peroxide? - 01/24/18 03:12 PM

I use 35%. 3% won’t do much at all!!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: skull whitening with 3% hydrogen peroxide? - 01/24/18 08:42 PM

I have used whatever wallmart or dollar general sells, probably 3%. Mix it in a paste with baking soda and let it sit on there an dscrub it a bit with an old tooth brush or similar. Also mixed 1/2 peroxide 1/2 water and boiled it works really well. You do not need any special peroxide whatever people buy to clean cuts etc. will work fine.
Posted By: Charlieb68

Re: skull whitening with 3% hydrogen peroxide? - 02/12/18 03:16 AM

Do you have a beauty supply store in your area. I buy the powdered peroxide from beauty supply mix to a paste and coat the skull for 24 hours then hose it off and dry it for 24 hours. Seems to always be perfect.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: skull whitening with 3% hydrogen peroxide? - 03/04/18 07:06 PM

I would just delete Cloriox .....
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum