Texas Hunting Forum

What if it goes bad?????

Posted By: TiggerV

What if it goes bad????? - 12/14/17 10:32 PM

I am trying my 1st European mount. And while the deer is no monster, I am still proud of him. My question is, is once I have gotten started, and I decide I am over my head or don't want to work on it, is there anyone out there who will take over my project?
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: What if it goes bad????? - 12/15/17 02:43 AM

C'mon man. It's not brain surgery. You will figure it out and be just fine. Try not to submerge the antlers when boiling. In fact you would do well to wrap the bases in foil to prevent loss of color. GL
Posted By: red bluff

Re: What if it goes bad????? - 12/15/17 03:17 AM

My first ones were done in earthen pots it takes a long long time and you have to protect it from dogs and such but it's really easy.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: What if it goes bad????? - 12/18/17 03:10 PM

Worse case scenario, put it on a brick or two and let mother nature do it for you.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: What if it goes bad????? - 12/18/17 11:33 PM

just posted Skull Bleaching recipe.
Posted By: jrfan

Re: What if it goes bad????? - 12/19/17 06:53 PM

I buy a kit from Vandyke's. It has everything you need, including instructions. They also have in house taxidermists for "tech support". What I have learned from doing several of my own, is to get as much material as possible off prior to boiling. Do not over boil. You can cook it too long, which is the reason I remove as much as possible first.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What if it goes bad????? - 12/19/17 08:49 PM

Ive boiled the heads in water with the bases submerged with no discoloration, just don't put anything in the water like bleach etc.

Easiest one I ever did was an axis my little cousin shot. They stuck the head in a bucket of water and left it in direct sun for a day or two in the summer. I cut the hide off and the rest pretty much fell off the bone. If you have a weak stomach European mounts will test you.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum