Texas Hunting Forum

DIY euro mouint

Posted By: txhunter1010

DIY euro mouint - 11/14/17 02:41 PM

So after I get all the hide and meat off the skull, what is used to preserve or whiten the skull? And what is put on the antlers to keep them shiny and dark looking? Thanks
Posted By: oldstyle244

Re: DIY euro mouint - 11/16/17 09:17 PM

I have only done hogs myself, once it is good and clean, use peroxide paste (grab at Sallys) for the skull, it will whiten it up. Not sure about the horns.
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: DIY euro mouint - 11/20/17 09:39 PM

This is how I do euro. It's not the only was it's just my way.

Skin the head and take off as much meat as you can, remove the lower jaw.

Fire up your turkey fryer and put on a wash tub of water with either dawn dish soap or oxyclean added to the water. Bring the mixture to a boil and add the head. Boil for about 30 minutes and check it you may need up to an hour.

Power wash the head and remove the brain. Pay particular attention to the cracks and crevices. It's easier to get the brain out if you force water through the hole were the ocular nerve passes through the skull.

Mix 40% peroxide with water to a ratio of 50/50 and bring to a low boil.

Wrap the bases of the antler plus about 6 inches of the antler in cling wrap and seal the ends of the wrap with electrical tape.

Boil the head in the peroxide solution for 20 or 30 minutes and remove then rinse.

let the skull dry overnight.

Apply a coat of mop and glow to the skull and boiled linseed oil to the antlers.

That's my way of doing it.

Good Luck.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum