Texas Hunting Forum

Bird Taxidermy Training

Posted By: Kimber1911

Bird Taxidermy Training - 01/26/16 04:40 AM

Does anybody offer training on how to mount birds?

I would love to learn how to mount birds it's something that I always had interest in learning.

I do not want to learn to open up my own business. Just simply mounting birds for myself and a couple of friends.

Thanks in advance
Posted By: victor454

Re: Bird Taxidermy Training - 01/26/16 06:05 AM

I did bird mounting about 40 years ago. Lessons came in the mail about once a month. Don't remember the name of the school. Pretty easy though.
Posted By: Trophy Case Taxidermy

Re: Bird Taxidermy Training - 01/26/16 06:28 PM

Matt smith. Blue ribbon birds. Look him up
Posted By: breadman

Re: Bird Taxidermy Training - 02/10/16 10:00 PM

Posted By: BDB

Re: Bird Taxidermy Training - 02/17/16 06:31 PM

offer to help out a local bird taxidermist in your spare time. When I thought my home improvement business was about to go under( its fine today, and that was late 90's) I got into taxidermy. I met the late Carlos Adams at the state convention and he lived near me. I offered up my time for his expert training. Was going good until his untimely death. Although I no longer mess with taxidermy today what I did learn from him was great. I would assume you will be skinning lots of birds at first like I did. Then prepping the skin/feathers/hide. Then mounting...then finish work. I was in the mounting stage when Carlos died.

Just make it clear you will not be competing for business from him/her. And you will send as much business there way as you can.
Posted By: spudmonkey

Re: Bird Taxidermy Training - 03/08/16 01:08 AM

If anyone can get in touch with Matt Smith please let him know I still want my two mounts. He has not responded to any texts, emails, or calls so if anyone can reach him it would be appreciated.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum