Texas Hunting Forum

Looking for answers abput tanning

Posted By: kro

Looking for answers abput tanning - 08/05/15 06:03 PM

Does anyone know a poor mans way of tanning hides to keep the hair still on ?
Posted By: breadman

Re: Looking for answers abput tanning - 08/06/15 12:35 AM

I learned from UTUBE video`s lots of different ways , chose the one you can afford and have axcess to the stuff you need , I've done quiet a few and they turned out pretty good for a poorman home tan.
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: Looking for answers abput tanning - 08/25/15 05:20 PM

If it's a hide I don't particularly care how it's gonna turn out, just a wall hanger, etc. I just "rawhide" it by covering it in Salt and stretching it until completely dehydrated. Did a buck skin like this and it's been on the wall for years with no slipping or smell.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Looking for answers abput tanning - 08/25/15 05:33 PM

you shouldn't do that to yourself... it could cause skin cancer... before you know it youll be wearing skinny jeans
Posted By: turkeykillet

Re: Looking for answers abput tanning - 08/29/15 11:45 AM

It depends on what you are going to do with it. If its something you want to keep for a long time and be proud of you will have to flesh and probably salt dry it. If you are this far already you might as well send it to a tannery. Most tannery's don't charge to much to tan a hide. It's the prep cost the taxidermist charge that are pricey.Moyle only charges $45 to do a whole deer hide. I've done a lot of my own hides but after you pay for the chemicals and all your time its just not worth it.
Posted By: kro

Re: Looking for answers abput tanning - 08/29/15 05:04 PM

thank you everyone for your thoughts
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum