Texas Hunting Forum

Fallow in velvet?

Posted By: Simple Searcher

Fallow in velvet? - 07/28/15 03:03 AM

Anyone done a fallow mount while still in velvet? I would love to see some pictures.
We have a nice one that we're thinking of shooting this year, he is in velvet now an looks awesome.
Just wandering if we should hunt him now or after he rubs off.
Posted By: TnT Taxidermist

Re: Fallow in velvet? - 07/28/15 12:39 PM

Velvet Fallow make a beautiful mount. Most people would say to wait till they are hard horned because the velvet is hard to preserve and get a natural look using traditional taxidermy methods. I freeze dry my velvet antlers in house and can preserve the velvet just like it was the day you shot the animal. I do not have any current pics of velvet mounts but do have about 4 sets of velvet fallow antlers in various stages of growth going into my freeze dry machines next month and should have them mounted by early fall. By freeze drying your velvet antlers you will ensure that your trophy will look just like it did when he was alive. The velvet will not loose any color as it would if it was injected and you will have absolutely zero shrinkage in your antlers. Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions, but if it was me, I'd shoot him in full velvet, you'll have a one of a kind mount that will look amazing.

Re: Fallow in velvet? - 07/28/15 10:50 PM

Excellent information, thanks. I have heard of freeze drying but never really thought about it much. I checked out your web site and forwarded the information onto the ranch owner.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Fallow in velvet? - 08/06/15 03:42 AM

Taylor did my velvet axis and it turned out phenomenal. Much better than my traditional preserved velvet axis.
Posted By: jhprice2

Re: Fallow in velvet? - 08/07/15 01:58 PM

TexFlip,
your axis turned out outstanding!
The Euro Mount with velvet definitely stands out!
TNT taxidermy great work!
when you kill something in velvet and your want it preserved is it crucial to get it to a taxidermist asap?
or do you at least need to put the horns in a freezer to keep them from splitting or drying out?
Posted By: TnT Taxidermist

Re: Fallow in velvet? - 08/10/15 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: jhprice2
TexFlip,
your axis turned out outstanding!
The Euro Mount with velvet definitely stands out!
TNT taxidermy great work!
when you kill something in velvet and your want it preserved is it crucial to get it to a taxidermist asap?
or do you at least need to put the horns in a freezer to keep them from splitting or drying out?

It is defiantly important to get the antlers cold as soon as possible after the animal is harvested to prevent the velvet from slipping. If you can get them into a walk in cooler and then to the taxi asap you should not have any problems. If it will be awhile before you can get them to the taxi, it is best to freeze the antlers, they will be fine in a freezer until you can get them to your taxidermist

Re: Fallow in velvet? - 08/11/15 01:02 AM

Good info
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum