Texas Hunting Forum

Best taxidermsit in houston ?

Posted By: BBD84

Best taxidermsit in houston ? - 04/16/15 02:31 AM

Ok so my Taxidermist of he past 20 plus years quit on me and Im looking for a great taxidermist in the Houston area. I get between 3-10 mounts done a year for me and the family and only want quality work please. Ill pay for great work and decent turn around time. Let me know who yall use and pictures of there work if you have them. Thanks
Posted By: Texan Taxidermy

Re: Best taxidermsit in houston ? - 04/16/15 12:41 PM

www.texantaxidermy.net
Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: Best taxidermsit in houston ? - 04/16/15 01:56 PM

I partial to Major Creations in Cypress for my deer mounts. The guy that leases next to me also uses him for his corporate outfit, they get 15-20 done each year. When I brought my second deer in last year, which was killed late in the season, the taxi was well into his 600's on whitetail mounts and even with this volume I typically get mine back on average of 8 months. Here's a few they have done for me:

Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Best taxidermsit in houston ? - 04/16/15 04:15 PM

The best in the area is Mike Simpson's shop Conroe Taxidermy. Hands down. End of story. JMHO.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Best taxidermsit in houston ? - 04/16/15 07:21 PM

Mike Baird at B&B Taxidermy just off of HWY 290 is my choice and a ton of others.
http://www.bbtaxidermy.com/
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Best taxidermsit in houston ? - 04/16/15 09:13 PM

Alief Taxidermy
Bobby Petersen
http://alieftxtaxidermy.com/

Discounts for cash sales
Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Re: Best taxidermsit in houston ? - 04/17/15 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Southtexas36
I partial to Major Creations in Cypress for my deer mounts. The guy that leases next to me also uses him for his corporate outfit, they get 15-20 done each year. When I brought my second deer in last year, which was killed late in the season, the taxi was well into his 600's on whitetail mounts and even with this volume I typically get mine back on average of 8 months. Here's a few they have done for me:

That's who I use as well! up
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Best taxidermsit in houston ? - 04/18/15 12:42 PM

I haven't seen any of SouthTexas36's work done but what I have seen of Goldsteins they do Wonderful Work up
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Best taxidermsit in houston ? - 04/18/15 02:21 PM

I'm very anal about my mounts and who does them. I've found that there are a lot of them out there that can do a deer, or a duck, but struggle with a variety of animals. Bobcats are where I find it easiest to separate the good from the bad. What amazes me is that they post pictures of their work on their websites and not even realize who silly they look.

There are only a few really good taxidermist out there and when you see their work, you can easily spot the difference. Their mounts look alive and you can tell what the expression of the animal is. It doesn't look dead!!!!! I feel this is a gift that most just don't have.

Having found a great taxidermist back in CA where I'm from, and one here in East Texas, it's always fun going in to visit with them and see the work that people bring in from other taxidermist to get fixed. Crazy things like smiling deer and the tail of a grizzly on it's right butt cheek, and a rams horns set so far back it looks like they are going to fall off to eyes bulging out and of course, the most obvious, no nostrils.

Look at their shop. A neat and organized shop tells you everything you need to know about the care and attention to detail that will go into your mount.

Find out where they get their hides tanned. It is impossible to tan a hide at the shop and get anything close to the quality you get from a professional tannery. Who do they buy their forms and eyes from? If they are buying cheap, or even worse, making their own forms, walk away.

There is a fine line between getting your mount back in a timely manner and a guy who doesn't have any work who can get it done in a couple of months. Like most specialty fields, if you are good at it, you are busy and it's going to take time to get to you. I would rather wait a year to get my mount that I will enjoy looking at for the rest of my life then to get it back in 2 months and want to hide it so nobody will see how bad it looks.

Accept recommendations with a grain of salt. If you are really picky, then you have to take the time to go to the shop and see the work in person. What one person feels is quality, I tend to see tons of flaws and avoid comment.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Best taxidermsit in houston ? - 04/19/15 01:19 AM

Tri-state does decent work. They have a gallery and are located close to the I-10 Carter's.
Posted By: okierifleman

Re: Best taxidermsit in houston ? - 04/23/15 01:04 PM

Eddie is right, cats are what separate the men from the boys. Most cats you see look fake and goofy. It takes a true artist to make a cat look real. It is really true with anything else in taxidermy though. There are a lot of taxidermists who produce average work. Anyone can throw a cape on a form, but there are few who can make them look alive. Good taxidermy is all in the finish work. Most of these shops have several people doing finish work and it shows. I see a lot of work on here that is so average. While that may work for some people, and the price may be right, but it doesnt work for me. I have to look at that thing for the rest of my life, and life is too short to look at sub-par mounts. There is some really good work on here as well. FF/Birdman is one of the best duck guys I have ever seen, that is the way a duck mount is supposed to look. Whoever you use, you should want to know who is going to mount it and who is going to do the finish work. Most true artists don't want anyone else doing their work for them, because no one can do it as well as they can.

BBD84, I am going to PM you my guys info and if you ever want to stop by the house or my office and check out his work just give me a shout.
Posted By: Duck Em' Woodie!

Re: Best taxidermsit in houston ? - 04/24/15 05:44 PM

go see David Majors in Cypress, Texas
Posted By: BBD84

Re: Best taxidermsit in houston ? - 04/26/15 11:43 PM

These 2 are going to BB thanks for yalls help. I have over 30 shoulder mounts to full bodys as of now and BBs quality is as good or better as I could tell compared to all the others mentioned IMO. Thanks again
Posted By: rborn

Re: Best taxidermsit in houston ? - 04/28/15 01:12 AM

Yeah, I use B&B if I harvest near Houston, their quality is great.
Posted By: rbw1

Re: Best taxidermsit in houston ? - 04/28/15 03:23 PM

Another vote for Conroe .
Posted By: Sprman

Re: Best taxidermsit in houston ? - 05/04/15 12:34 PM

I've used David at Major Creations for my whitetails and they always look awesome. My neighbor has done over a dozen with him. Just picked up my coyote skull from Texan Taxidermy and it looks pretty damn good!

B&B looks pretty good as well. They are right around the corner from my house almost. Let me know when you are over that way.
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: Best taxidermsit in houston ? - 05/06/15 02:29 PM

Ditto for Major Creations in Cypress.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum