Texas Hunting Forum

Duck Prices?

Posted By: FowlDreams

Duck Prices? - 01/12/15 05:23 PM

I haven't had a bird done in a couple years. But I used to pay $250 for very good work. Now it seems all the good work is $350+. Just wondering if anyone knows why the increase? Or if anyone has a recommendation for a good bird guy for around $250 that would be great. But I don't necessarily want to go cheap and get cheap work. Thanks.
Posted By: cmc

Re: Duck Prices? - 01/12/15 05:44 PM

I don't know of a good one that's $250 and honestly I'm not trying to be a a$& here but they charge that cause they can. If people will pay $350 and their work is good then the price is $350. There are a few that are above the average guy and you can see it the second you walk up on the bird, if just having a mounted duck is what people want then $250 will get you that but if you want a quality bird that is anatomically correct and looks alive then it's gonna take $300-$350 at least.
Posted By: RedTx

Re: Duck Prices? - 01/15/15 12:06 AM

Let me ask you a question do you like to get paid well for your work or so-so. I probably have any where from 10-14 hours in any given bird by the time its done. So if i charge $350 per bird i making $25/hr and that doesnt even count in to my over head, supplies, etc.

If my work could fetch $350 a bird that what I would get, the same as if you could get a raise you would take it. Its no different.

I did this bird not too long ago for something I traded for, which equated to about $230.

Posted By: Roc

Re: Duck Prices? - 01/15/15 03:15 AM

$325 plus shipping but no tax. Birdman Studios. One great thing is no down payment required. I never got why people charge one. Just make people at time of service or trash the bird like he does. Also one of the best taxidermist nationally.
Posted By: waterfowlwonders

Re: Duck Prices? - 01/15/15 11:24 AM

Bird taxi's usually ask for half down because by law we cannot sell the mount if the customer doesn't pick it up or finish paying for it. By getting a down payment we can at least cover our supplies and a small part of the time involved. Federal law days that you can't sell a migratory bird, period. If we purchase a pen raised bird from a game farm, we can sell those provided the farm we buy the bird from sends the proper paperwork with the bird.

Any bird taxi who doesn't ask for a down payment is taking a business risk as a result.
Posted By: NTX Waterfowl

Re: Duck Prices? - 01/15/15 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Roc
$325 plus shipping but no tax. Birdman Studios. One great thing is no down payment required. I never got why people charge one. Just make people at time of service or trash the bird like he does. Also one of the best taxidermist nationally.

He has, as you well know, the sheer volume that if he has a no-show or non-payment on a bird he could take the hit. For me, doing 40-60 birds a year, if several people decide not to pay I'm stuck with a bird I cannot legally sell and I'm out materials and most importantly time.

As to the original question, look at several websites, see the birds in person, and if you are happy then go for it. There is no shortage of taxidermists in the area and there are many price points and skill levels out there.

Like RedTX, I don't think all of us doing around $250 are complete cr@p but I could be biased.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Duck Prices? - 01/16/15 02:45 AM

You get $250 worth of work from Jeremy Holmes on here for about $150. I believe his handle is Fallen Feathers.

A lot (and I mean a lot) of guys here at Cabela's get their birds mounted from the Birdman in Trinidad, Colorado. I have seen his work and it is outstanding....and you pay for it. I have also seen Avian Arts work from Texas and his work is great (again, you pay for it).

In my experience, most mounts get dusty/dirty and messed up a little with moves and such over time. If I had a very special bird that I wanted to look A+ outstanding, I would go with either of those guys (Birdman or Avian Arts), but for my everyday mounts, I chose Jeremy (Fallen Feathers) in Sherman, Tx. He has mounted 8 waterfowl for me and I am very pleased.
Posted By: nacgoat08

Re: Duck Prices? - 01/28/15 04:07 AM

Originally Posted By: RedTx
Let me ask you a question do you like to get paid well for your work or so-so. I probably have any where from 10-14 hours in any given bird by the time its done. So if i charge $350 per bird i making $25/hr and that doesnt even count in to my over head, supplies, etc.

If my work could fetch $350 a bird that what I would get, the same as if you could get a raise you would take it. Its no different.

I did this bird not too long ago for something I traded for, which equated to about $230.

Now that is a pretty slick looking mount...kudos sir
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum