Texas Hunting Forum

Do It Yourself Euro Mount

Posted By: TexAg Mike

Do It Yourself Euro Mount - 11/08/14 06:09 PM

Can anyone give a pretty detailed explanation on how to do a Euro mount on your own? We got a nice 10 yesterday and want to do it ourselves. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!
Posted By: mbavo

Re: Do It Yourself Euro Mount - 11/08/14 07:02 PM

I skin the head,flesh it out,cut out the eyes,try to get the brain out,and cut off all the meat you can.
Then put it in a big pot of water on just a gentle boil.be sure not to submerge the horns in water. I put about a cup of powdered arm and hammer clothes soap and just a small squirt of the clear dawn liquid soap with bleach into the water. It takes a pretty good while to loosen all the flesh and connective tissue 45 min to an hour. Then take it out and let cool. Once it cools you can begin scraping the little bits of flesh and connective tissue off. When you have it good and clean it's time to bleach the skull. I make a paste out of magnezium powder and peroxide. Brush it all over the skull, just don't get any on the antlers. Let it sit over night. It will form a crust that will just rinse off with water. Rinse it and let it dry. You can repeat the bleaching part if it is not white enough after the first time.

Re: Do It Yourself Euro Mount - 11/08/14 07:04 PM

Oh, and congrats on the buck !
Posted By: TexAg Mike

Re: Do It Yourself Euro Mount - 11/08/14 08:54 PM

Thanks a ton for the explanation and description, we'll post what the finished product looks like!!!!

Re: Do It Yourself Euro Mount - 11/08/14 09:36 PM

You are welcome. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Hope it turns out good. Looking forward to pics.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Do It Yourself Euro Mount - 11/13/14 04:04 PM

I did my own a couple of years ago and it's on the yellow side. Any way to get it white? When I did it I used peroxide.
Posted By: Bulldog4949

Re: Do It Yourself Euro Mount - 11/14/14 04:02 AM

You MUST degrease to maintain a white skull.

Degreasing is the most over looked step of doing a euro mount. Period
Posted By: thecoach

Re: Do It Yourself Euro Mount - 11/14/14 09:42 PM

Degrease after the you're done?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum