Texas Hunting Forum

How Can I Clean These Up & Mount Ideas

Posted By: gaharris

How Can I Clean These Up & Mount Ideas - 07/08/14 02:53 PM

I recently found this pair of locked together antlers, on our ranch, in a creek half buried in the mud. They are seriously discolored and look almost grey and chalky.
I was wondering how I could get them cleaned up and looking closer to their natural look and/or any suggestions as to how I could mount them.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Posted By: deerfever

Re: How Can I Clean These Up & Mount Ideas - 07/08/14 04:43 PM

I would degrease and whiten the skulls. Then stain the horns back to color with potassium promaginate.
YouTube the staining process. Wrap the skulls up so the stain does drop one them.
Posted By: MAP

Re: How Can I Clean These Up & Mount Ideas - 07/08/14 11:58 PM

If your going to mount the skulls I'd take it to a taxidermist and have the skulls whitened and horns stained. I think a really nice mesquite wood table top base would look great. Mount them with one skull attached to the wood base and the other skull "free floating". Heres a link to some mesquite pedestals to give you an idea

http://www.texaswildwood.com/
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: How Can I Clean These Up & Mount Ideas - 07/09/14 12:30 AM

There are a couple of guys in Kerrville/Ingram that do antler repairs. They have the antler repair and staining down to an art form. I have had them do two antler repairs and you can not tell they did the repairs or the difference in the color.
Posted By: SweetTea

Re: How Can I Clean These Up & Mount Ideas - 07/09/14 04:03 AM

Not sure but that's an awesome find
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: How Can I Clean These Up & Mount Ideas - 07/15/14 01:03 AM

I agree with MAP. At least take them or contact a "real" Taxidermist, get their thoughts. That is too cool a find to mess up.

or just wash them off and leave as is.

good "patina".....ha ha
Posted By: MAJKF

Re: How Can I Clean These Up & Mount Ideas - 12/22/14 08:59 PM

eeks333

awesome find. sucked to be those two bucks.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: How Can I Clean These Up & Mount Ideas - 12/22/14 10:25 PM

Cleaned up and a double shoulder mount for a corner wall mount would be amazing!
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: How Can I Clean These Up & Mount Ideas - 12/28/14 04:04 PM

The beauty of this is the natural state in what you found them. I would brush clean them with soap and water and then find a nice base to display them just the way they are. If you change them or modify them in any way, it's no longer what you found. Kind of like taking an antique rifle and making it look new. You've lose the value of it and what makes it special by changing it.

Eddie
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum