Texas Hunting Forum

Building Private Range

Posted By: RedRaider13

Building Private Range - 08/27/15 06:44 PM

Anyone have tips for building private shooting range? We shoot out at our family ranch a lot, but are thinking of upgrading our set up to a more permanent setup. Specifically shooting bench designs, targets, backstops ect.
Pictures always appreciated
Posted By: billybob

Re: Building Private Range - 08/27/15 07:34 PM

I'm interested also....poured a slab when I had a concret truck out there. We will have metal square tubing for 2 uprights and weld support for an aluminum roof. Backstop is a tank berm 180 yards away. Other than that I've been using 2" pvc uprights with a 2x2 wood frame for targets.

Re: Building Private Range - 08/28/15 03:29 AM

I recently bought some steel targets from A1targets.com they are a lot of fun. How large of a slab is that billybob?
Posted By: billybob

Re: Building Private Range - 08/28/15 09:17 AM

I believe it was 5x10. I've got 1 stand up steel hostage target and they are fun and keep you proficient with a CHL
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Building Private Range - 09/03/15 08:11 PM

I stay away from steel myself and lots of shooters love them. I drive 2x2's in the ground and use cardboard from shipping flats for my target backer boards. Watch out for neighbors and if you are open to the public or private ranges are unregulated in Texas EXCEPT you must have qon million liability policy about $700 per year. Good luck and straight shooting.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Building Private Range - 09/03/15 10:36 PM

Start with a bulldozer and build the highest back stop that he can make. On the pistol side build the two side walls. Shooting paper is never as fun as shooting steel. Buy ar500 only. Never, never, did I say never, shoot steel without glasses---no matter what, something is coming back. Good luck.

Re: Building Private Range - 09/04/15 04:03 AM

Be careful with the Bulldozer idea that you do not pond water in the area where you want your target. I used a large front end ,loader, to move plowed dirt to the berm area. I do not do steel at my place. I probably lose some customers and glasses do not protect the the whole body.

Re: Building Private Range - 09/04/15 10:52 AM

Yes, do not build a pond with the bulldozer; build a shooting range. Use a little front end loader if you have a lot of time and no bulldozer. And don't shoot steel if you plan to have 50% of the fun. And glasses are meant to protect you eyes-if you plan on shooting yourself in the guts or toe; wear full body armor.

Re: Building Private Range - 09/09/15 01:27 PM

agree with huntmaster

Re: Building Private Range - 09/10/15 05:11 AM

How about shooting benches? What does everyone use?

Re: Building Private Range - 09/10/15 07:42 PM

There are all types of benches, many home made. I will say a lot of the sniper type guys I've seen shoot, from all different departments, like bringing their own shooting mats and shooting off the dirt mound. Once again you can build up your shooting mound with a bulldozer.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum