Texas Hunting Forum

Smoked Pork Loin... wish i took pictures!

Posted By: Hunter_Man

Smoked Pork Loin... wish i took pictures! - 10/20/09 07:43 PM

So I decided to smoke a pork loin i found at HEB on sale this past weekend. The following is my recipe. it came out FAN-TAS-TIC!!!

i'll be makine another in the next few weeks and will definately take pictures.

First, i made a brine...
3/4 cup kosher salt
3/4 cup sugar
5 bay leaves ground up
2 cups hot water (to dissolve sugar and salt)
3 TBSP peppercorns, slightly crushed.
12 cloves garlic, crushed with side of knife

combine all in bowl, then add 3 cups cold water.
soak pork loin in mixture overnight.

the next morning, i took the pork loin out of the brine, and lightly covered it in my favorite bbq rub.

this part is the key....

cover the entire pork loin with 2 layers of APPLEWOOD SMOKED bacon... this will self baste the pork loin

On my smoker, i got the heat up to 235 degrees. I used pecan wood, with some applewood chunks i had in the beginning.

i placed the pork loin in a circle on a single sheet of aluminum foil on the smoker. i did not open the smoker for 2 hours.

after 2 hours, i opened the smoker and was in awe of the beauty held within smile perfectly browned bacon on a lovely piece of pork. i loosely covered the pork at this point on the smoker so it wouldn't be over smoked in flavor.

3 hours later (5 hours total) the internal temp reached 161 degrees, and was done.

Holy Batballs Batman, this thing was amazing. i had company over sunday and was nervous about how it was going to come out. it was FILLED with juices, had a 1/8 inch pink smoke ring, and disappeared within 30 minutes!

I had never thought about smoking a pork loin, but i'll be doing it once a week now. best dang pork i've ever eaten.

like i said, next time, i'm taking pictures!

Posted By: levergun

Re: Smoked Pork Loin... wish i took pictures! - 10/21/09 04:06 PM

Sounds great, going to try it this weekend!! Thanks for posting.

Posted By: Hunter_Man

Re: Smoked Pork Loin... wish i took pictures! - 10/22/09 01:59 PM

let me know how it comes out, and post some pictures for me!

Posted By: KOP

Re: Smoked Pork Loin... wish i took pictures! - 10/24/09 04:09 PM

My brother inlaw cooked a pork loin recently that was great. He cut the loin long ways very thin unrolling it untill it was like a pie crust rooled out on the table. then he put budan that he had taken out of the casing on it and rolled it all up togethar. I dont know how long he smoked it but it was the best pork loin I have ever eatan.

Posted By: levergun

Re: Smoked Pork Loin... wish i took pictures! - 10/25/09 06:17 PM

came out great, sat it down inside and went out to shut everything down and the family tore into it before I could get pics...too funny...maybe next time. Was gone in no time!!

Posted By: rtp

Re: Smoked Pork Loin... wish i took pictures! - 10/29/09 03:25 PM

Ohhh, I love smoking me some pork tenderloins. HEB has them on sale again this week. I just smoked a couple last weekend and I am taking them to the lease with me tonight.

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Smoked Pork Loin... wish i took pictures! - 11/06/09 04:07 PM

There's a difference in a pork loin and a tenderloin. I prefer the bonless loin. I made Canadian bacon a couple of times with one, when I was into making my own egg McMuffins.

I'm now into taquitos for breakfast. They're easier.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum