Texas Hunting Forum

What's the Secret.....Pot Roast

Posted By: Jgraider

What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/17/18 12:36 AM

What's the secret to a succulent, juicy pot roast? Mine seems too dry every time. Is there a trick to keeping venison roast juicy as well?
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/17/18 12:39 AM

Pressure cooker. Thank me later.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/17/18 12:45 AM

If in the oven, use a cooking bag.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/17/18 12:47 AM

Crockpot, on early and long time cooking. We did a 5 pounder that fell apart last week.

1 (28 oz) can Las Palmas Red Chile Sauce or enchilada sauce
3 beef bouillon cubes
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon oregano leaves
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper

5 pound beef chuck roast, trimmed of most visible fat

In a 7-quart slow cooker, add chile sauce, bouillon, chili powder, cumin, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper. Add chuck roast. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/17/18 12:48 AM

Onion soup mix and water. Don't peek.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/17/18 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw
Pressure cooker. Thank me later.

This....then brown in the oven......

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/17/18 01:22 AM

I started one on my gas grill to get grill marks and make my gravy brow. It came out fine but more trouble tan it was worth. I still brown them in a pot on the stove.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/17/18 01:38 AM

Put your heavily seasoned chunk of meat in a roasting pan with a few garlic cloves, bay leaves and about two tablespoons of olive oil. Cover tightly with heavy duty foil and slow roast in the oven at 275 degrees for 4-5 hours.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/17/18 02:05 AM

This is pretty much how I do mine and it's dang good. Browning your roast is the way to go. up I don't use the onion soup mix anymore I cook my onions down dark in butter and season at the end, like it better. I've cooked a lot of venison and feral pork roasts this way that everybody liked.

Posted By: mbavo

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/17/18 03:33 AM

Put roast in crock pot.
Sprinkle 1 pack of dry powdered ranch dressing packet on roast.
Sprinkle 1 pack of dry powdered au jus packet on roast.
Put about 6 or 8 Peperoncini peppers on top of roast.
Place one stick of butter on top of roast.
Put lid on crock put and cook 5-6 hours on high or 8-9 hours on low.
Posted By: mbavo

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/17/18 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Crockpot, on early and long time cooking. We did a 5 pounder that fell apart last week.

1 (28 oz) can Las Palmas Red Chile Sauce or enchilada sauce
3 beef bouillon cubes
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon oregano leaves
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper

5 pound beef chuck roast, trimmed of most visible fat

In a 7-quart slow cooker, add chile sauce, bouillon, chili powder, cumin, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper. Add chuck roast. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.

This sounds great.
Gonna give it a try!
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/17/18 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: mbavo
Put roast in crock pot.
Sprinkle 1 pack of dry powdered ranch dressing packet on roast.
Sprinkle 1 pack of dry powdered au jus packet on roast.
Put about 6 or 8 Peperoncini peppers on top of roast.
Place one stick of butter on top of roast.
Put lid on crock put and cook 5-6 hours on high or 8-9 hours on low.

I've made the Mississippi Pot Roast before and was good. Different, but good.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/17/18 03:58 AM

My wife adds the potatoes, carrots, cabbage, in the pot with the meat. Cooks all together.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/17/18 04:01 AM

Sear the roast before it goes into the crock pot.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/17/18 05:59 AM

Old Bay seasoning is the secret believe it or not
Posted By: snake oil

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/17/18 12:57 PM

Crotch pot always comes out fall apart tinder..
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/17/18 01:02 PM

If you want it shredded up like above make it easy on yourself. Get a brisket or whatever cut of meat you want to use, cut it into inch or 1.5 inch cubes remove the big pieces of fat put in a crock pot or dutch oven cover with water add a bunch of chopped onion and salt and pepper and simmer till it is tender. Its like gringo carne guisada and is awesome.

I know im different but what I say above is what we call pot roast. A roast baked in the oven with carrots and taters etc. is just a roast to me.
Posted By: StretchR

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/17/18 01:49 PM

I season and sear the roast in cast iron skillet first. My seasonings of choice are coarse salt and "Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning mix. Then I layer celery, peeled and chunked carrots, and 2-3 large sweet onions (quartered or smaller chunks) in the bottom of a covered baking dish. I add about 1 cup liquid (water & 1/2 teaspoon beef base or red wine) to cover the bottom of the dish about 1/2" or so. Finally, I add the browned roast (chuck, shoulder, 7-bone, etc... not rump) and cover, cooking at 300-325 for about 4 hours. At 2.5 hours I flip the roast and add medium whole potatoes (peeled or not). The roast is done when a toothpick slides in with gently to no pressure.

For gravy, I make a medium roux in the skillet, then drain the broth from the beef and the vegetables to flavor. I'll add a little heavy cream at the last minute, then serve the gravy on the side.

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/17/18 02:13 PM

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1013826/Re:_Cook_my_pot_roast#Post1013826

Originally Posted By: RobertYuras
Be a hero and cook my pot roast. Your wife will summon to your every need and your kids will obey after they have some of this easy, delicious recipe:

3 lb CHUCK ROAST
3 gloves of garlic, minced
One packet of Lipton Beefy Onion soup mix
One sweet onion, chopped
Sea Salt
Pepper
One can of vegetable broth
one cup of water

In your coated Iron pot:
heat olive oil in bottom of pan till hot, throw in garlic and onion to begin sweating.

Salt and Pepper roast liberally on both sides.

Toss roast into pan and brown on both sides

Mix one packet of beefy onion soup into the can of vegetable stock, plus one cup of water.

After roast is good and brown, add soup mix onto roast:

Cook at a medium boil for 2 hours, then add baby carrots and 5-6 red potatoes, halfed.

Cook another hour and a half at a simmer, or until meat just falls apart.

Enjoy:

up
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/18/18 04:09 PM

Good presentation Bill. For got the cabbage, sorry.
Posted By: TooLow

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/18/18 04:15 PM

food

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/18/18 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
Good presentation Bill. For got the cabbage, sorry.

That was an old thread by Robert Yuras. He was one of the most active on the recipe forum.
Posted By: GMG1

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/21/18 09:22 PM

Sous Vide! Chuck roast @ 132 degrees for 48 hours with what ever seasoning you like, I call it poormans prime rib.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/25/18 06:04 PM

If it is too dry, try braising. You add about a 1/2" of water in the pan and turn the meat maybe once every 20 minutes. Cook covered. First sear the met on all sides a few minutes in oil to get that seared meat taste. Add onions, etc.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 07/25/18 06:16 PM

Cube the meat into about 2 in cubes, I like to sear mine on the grill.
Dutch gold potatoes, they are a little pricey but damn the natural buttery flavor they have is amazing.
Sliced purple onion, carrots, whole mushrooms, fresh garlic, onion soup mix, worcestershire sauce, A1 sauce, cream of mushroom soup.

Build in a croc pot as follows: meat, potatoes, carrots, worcestershire sauce, A1 sauce, garlic, onions, mushrooms, and cream on mushroom soup. Set on low 8 hours/high 4 hours.
Posted By: HankTheTank

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 08/02/18 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Jgraider
What's the secret to a succulent, juicy pot roast? Mine seems too dry every time. Is there a trick to keeping venison roast juicy as well?

From my experience, choosing the right cut of meat is a big part of it. I use the leanest, toughest cuts for low and slow cooking methods (like shoulder roast, bottom round, and shanks). Shanks have become a delicacy when used for Osso Bucco in my house. Talk about succulent. Chuck roast makes some awesome stew or chili (as in Bowl of Red chili).

Lean, tough cuts are full of connective tissues (largely collagen) which has a higher melting temp than fats. Over the long cooking time, those connective tissues break down into gelatin leaving the meat moist and velvety in texture. Braising can add additional moisture. With less lean/fattier and more tender cuts done low and slow, the fat renders out too soon leaving a hunk of tough, dry meat at the end.

Basically, figure out where a particular cut fits in the spectrum and adjust the cooking temperature and time accordingly.

So...
Lean, tough --> cook Low and Slow = Moist, tender, and delicious
(Ex: shoulder roast, chuck roast, bottom round, shanks)

Fattier and/or more tender --> cook Hotter and Faster = Moist, tender, and delicious
(Ex: Straps, tenderloins, top blade steak, tip sirloin (aka 'football roast'), top round)

Good luck, hope this helps.
Posted By: J W M

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 08/03/18 04:52 PM

I agree. Crock pot....LOW & SLOW.
Always works for me!
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: What's the Secret.....Pot Roast - 08/05/18 05:35 PM

This one is different but very tasty. Brown in skillet, put in crockpot with Lipton onion soup mix. Pour a can of cranberry sauce, I prefer the one with partial cranberries. Cover and don't peek for 5-6 hours. Surprisingly delicious.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum