Texas Hunting Forum

Fried crappie...

Posted By: Guy

Fried crappie... - 07/05/18 10:08 PM

Made these yesterday. Dipped in eggwash then in breadcrumbs with pepper and Tony’s. I think this is my favorite way to fry them.

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/05/18 10:50 PM

chef
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/05/18 11:54 PM

best eating fish in TX
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/06/18 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: ETexas Hunter
best eating fish in TX anywhere

Fify
Posted By: Stub

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/06/18 01:06 AM

food
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/06/18 01:26 AM

Would food
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/06/18 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw
Originally Posted By: ETexas Hunter
best eating freshwater fish in TX anywhere

Fify

FIFY

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/06/18 02:47 AM

Did another batch tonight, that I eggwash and breadcrumbed with the others last night. So these sat 24 hours before cooking and were just as good. That is good to know, now I can prep a day before for a fish fry. Did this once before with flower, after 24 hours they were hard after frying..
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/06/18 02:55 AM

Absolutely love fried crappie!

Eat it pretty regularly this time of year..

I haven't gone as much this and when I have gone we can't keep the whites off the hook.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/06/18 04:06 PM

Great eating fish..... food
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/06/18 06:38 PM

I actually got tired of crappie back in the spring. We caught them every day and ate them 3 or 4 times a week…….

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/07/18 12:23 AM

Managed a few today. Think I'm gonna do a dip in sour cream, bread crumbs, and hot grease.. smile ani

Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/07/18 12:28 AM

Looks great! I like mine sliced thin breaded in cornmeal.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/07/18 01:05 AM

We cooked up some we caught Wednesday for our 4th of July meal. Of course I remembered the pics after the food had already been hit.

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/07/18 08:20 PM

Did a little better today. Gonna fry’m up for my mom tonight.

Posted By: BDB

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/08/18 01:55 PM

I've never understood the romance with cornmeal for a fish batter. I learned this from Florida fisherman years ago when I lived there...take 50/50 mixture flower and Italian bread crumbs...however much you want to make. Add salt and pepper if you want. Then LOTS of red/cayenne pepper and add to it. You want the red pepper to the extint that the batter has a red hue to it. Take your fillets with no wash or nothing... the wetness of fish will let the batter stick to them. Shake in large zip lock or plastic bowl with lid. Fry away. I'll add Slap Ya Momma after they come out the grease if I want a cajun flare to them. They are light and tasty.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/08/18 06:14 PM

Everybody has nine thousand recipes. I personally like the Louisiana corn meal. Both those above look great.

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/08/18 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: BDB
Take your fillets with no wash or nothing... the wetness of fish will let the batter stick to them.

Yeah but that is boring. Are you allergic to flavor or something? rofl

Dinner tonight, first some tatars..

Mess of crappie and sandbass kicker...And couple scoops of source cream... woot

Mix and season...

Bread and into the hot greese!! smile ani

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/08/18 11:24 PM

Damn that looks good...
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/09/18 12:16 AM

Yum ! That looks good.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/09/18 01:17 AM

Never used sour cream before. Will need to try it
Posted By: Cast

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/09/18 12:59 PM

Buttermilk on steroids! Genius
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/09/18 03:34 PM

Ive never understood the dip it in mustard/sour cream/etc. To me it doesn't change the flavor of the fish at all and I get plenty of breading just seasoning them and then dredging in fish fry. Have made our own but find zatarans crispy southern to be about the best ive had.

I also like to make a thin beer batter and dredge in panko bread crumbs.

There are a bunch of different ways to cook fish I guess everyone has their favorite. Last few times we have cooked fish we had a crappie mixed in with several 14-24 inch channel and blue cats(seems like we can never catch more than 1 or 2 crappie in a sitting), the crappie are easily discernable from the catfish and I was surprised when everyone at the house preferred the catfish to the crappie.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/09/18 04:55 PM

Walleye is better than crappie. peep
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/09/18 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Walleye is better than crappie. peep

Bass is better than walleye! trout

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/09/18 05:59 PM

Isn’t Walleye a yankee fish?

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/10/18 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Ive never understood the dip it in mustard/sour cream/etc. To me it doesn't change the flavor of the fish at all

You must have dead tastebuds.

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/10/18 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
Ive never understood the dip it in mustard/sour cream/etc. To me it doesn't change the flavor of the fish at all

You must have dead tastebuds.

Far from it but I did fry up some nice crispy little catfish and blackened some bass last night and it was legit! Oh and without any marinades mustard sour cream or buttermilk.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/10/18 01:27 PM

Oh and without any marinades mustard sour cream or buttermilk.

That's the way I like it. I have tried the fru fru stuff and besides the ones soaked in Louisiana Hot Sauce, I cant tell that it does much to the fish flavor, maybe I don't have sophisticated taste buds lol.. To me, its just about like keeping wild animals on ice for a week to remove the wild taste. Proper cleaning, rinsing and storage is the key to having a good clean piece of fish to cook. I cook a lot of specs, reds, stripers, and crappie, and have yet to have any complaints.

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/10/18 10:49 PM

Are you guys trying to one down me on the crappie? roflmao

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/11/18 11:42 AM

Ive never understood the dip it in mustard/sour cream/etc. To me it doesn't change the flavor of the fish at all and I get plenty of breading just seasoning them and then dredging in fish fry. Have made our own but find zatarans crispy southern to be about the best ive had.

There are a bunch of different ways to cook fish I guess everyone has their favorite. Last few times we have cooked fish we had a crappie mixed in with several 14-24 inch channel and blue cats(seems like we can never catch more than 1 or 2 crappie in a sitting), the crappie are easily discernable from the catfish and I was surprised when everyone at the house preferred the catfish to the crappie.

I think catfish have more taste to them than crappie...……….

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/11/18 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: LonestarCobra

Oh and without any marinades mustard sour cream or buttermilk.

That's the way I like it. I have tried the fru fru stuff and besides the ones soaked in Louisiana Hot Sauce, I cant tell that it does much to the fish flavor, maybe I don't have sophisticated taste buds lol..

Most of time I fry crappie it is just with a little seasoning, and very little oil.

I’m one downing you guys. clap

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/11/18 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: LonestarCobra
Proper cleaning, rinsing and storage is the key to having a good clean piece of fish to cook.

I agree completely. This and not over cooking it. Same with duck.

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/11/18 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: snake oil
They do it's called a whang and I don't care for it. Give me crappie, perch, and dare I say bass. peep
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/12/18 01:50 PM

You take that back!
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/12/18 02:01 PM

go over to the Fishing Forum and post a bass recipe!!! clap clap duel
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/12/18 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: easton1025

I, too, like to live on the wild side. popcorn

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/12/18 02:55 PM

Large Mouth Bass. You need to be specific. grin popcorn

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/12/18 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: shea.mcphail

I, too, like to live on the wild side. popcorn

About 10 years back now I filleted 2 10 pound bass. My mom caught them fishing live perch under a bobber, when I netted them I asked if she wanted em and she said sure lol lots of bad looks at the cleaning table that day.

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/12/18 05:24 PM

roflmao roflmao roflmao

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/12/18 05:31 PM

They shoot fawns over there...

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/12/18 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw

You take that back!

We had so much crappie back in the spring that I got tired of them. Still love them though.

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/12/18 06:43 PM

You take that back!

We had so much crappie back in the spring that I got tired of them. Still love them though.

I love catfish but crappie is definitely my favorite. I'm not sure I could ever have too much crappie but I would like to try.

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/12/18 10:44 PM

I love catfish but crappie is definitely my favorite. I'm not sure I could ever have too much crappie but I would like to try.

Don’t listen to those guys they just trying to one down ya. grin

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/13/18 02:57 PM

Don’t listen to those guys they just trying to one down ya. grin

I know. I cried a little on the way home yesterday. crying
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/13/18 03:32 PM

Bass have worms.

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/21/18 10:38 PM

My daughter open a bag of tortilla chips, I said “Hey wait a sec, the bag over there is not empty”. She said its the end of the bag, and the chips are broken. So I mashed them up, ...

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/22/18 12:06 AM

banana
Posted By: Stub

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/22/18 12:26 AM

My daughter open a bag of tortilla chips, I said “Hey wait a sec, the bag over there is not empty”. She said its the end of the bag, and the chips are broken. So I mashed them up, ...

Guy this first pic looked like you found some dog nuggets in the yard and chipped them up wtf
Then the last pic of them looks out of site good food

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/22/18 08:18 PM

Oh man they were awesome! I was out of sour cream, so I used egg wash. banana
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/23/18 03:39 AM

Do yourself a favor. Get a couple of bags of Funyuns, crack them open & squeeze air out. Smash them up real fine and batter your fish in Funyun crumbs & fry. 100 times better than panko crumbs.

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/24/18 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

Do yourself a favor. Get a couple of bags of Funyuns, crack them open & squeeze air out. Smash them up real fine and batter your fish in Funyun crumbs & fry. 100 times better than panko crumbs.

Use to love funyuns, going to have to give that a try.

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/24/18 03:22 PM

Wonder how Julio's Freaking Hot Chips would be? food

Re: Fried crappie... - 07/24/18 05:15 PM

Never been too crazy about Funyuns. I like Cheetos, what about Cheetos? nidea loser8

Re: Fried crappie... - 08/05/18 08:28 PM

Caught and cooked these yesterday. I'm starting to like cornmeal. I put just enough oil to cover bottom of pan, all it needs, and I just discard the oil. Minute and a half on each side, prefect...

Re: Fried crappie... - 08/05/18 09:34 PM

Hot dang. No trees in view, finding them brush piles. You got 8 poles out like the pros do now? Saw that on TV the other day for a crappie tourney.
Posted By: majekman

Re: Fried crappie... - 08/05/18 10:40 PM

food

Re: Fried crappie... - 08/05/18 10:54 PM

Had some today. Can't beat cornmeal. up

Re: Fried crappie... - 08/05/18 11:47 PM

Cooked crappie for 8 last night. I deep fry mine with cornmeal I don’t use any wash. I take them strait from the ice water to the seasoned cornmeal and into the grease. I’ll put my fish up against anyone’s. I’m using electric these days instead of gas. I like it much better unless I have to cook for 20 or more.

Re: Fried crappie... - 08/06/18 03:18 PM

I feel the same way, I have a 2 basket one gallon counter top fryer at the house, it cooks fries, tots, fish, chicken strips etc. a few nights a week and is way more convenient and easier to use than gas. Set the thermostat, the light turns off when it up to temp and get busy. Cant believe I never used one before this one.

Re: Fried crappie... - 08/07/18 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Hot dang. No trees in view, finding them brush piles. You got 8 poles out like the pros do now?

Flooded timber. I been using jigs all summer, but last few trips trying minnows, has not helped. 2 poles max. roflmao

Re: Fried crappie... - 08/07/18 12:49 AM

Scalebuster and redchevy, what is a good brand of counter top electric?

Re: Fried crappie... - 08/07/18 10:40 AM

I’ve had this one the longest.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FARBERWARE-2-5L-DEEP-Fryer-Stainless-Steel/165690605

Re: Fried crappie... - 08/07/18 11:06 PM

Thank you sir.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum