Texas Hunting Forum

Texans dont know how to cook a brisket.

Posted By: nate33

Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 03:37 PM

I have yet to see a brisket cooked right in Texas. The common way is to cook them till it is like eating brown oat meal -------- If I want oat meal I will buy it and cook it. I want meat.
I BBQ it on low heat for 3 hrs -------- take it off, instead of cutting it vertically, cut it horizontally ( that means left to right, not up and down). Use a sharp knife and cut it into paper thin slices . The meat will be rare, and people will rave how good it is and never believe it is brisket.
If anyone wants to know how to do red beans and rice just pm me.
Posted By: General Guts

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 03:39 PM

popcorn
Posted By: cbump

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 03:40 PM

I prefer oven brisket to smoked.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 03:42 PM

Yep you nailed it!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 03:45 PM

popcorn
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 03:51 PM

peep
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 03:52 PM

food
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: cbump
I prefer oven brisket to smoked.
I've gotten to this point, myself. I love smoked turkey, chicken, and sausage, but brisket usually comes out so dry...and it's either undercooked, or way overcooked. There doesn't seem to be an in between. To be fair, however, I have not tried 407, or a lot of the new BBQ places that have popped up around the metroplex in the last 5 years.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: nate33
I have yet to see a brisket cooked right in Texas. The common way is to cook them till it is like eating brown oat meal -------- If I want oat meal I will buy it and cook it. I want meat.
I BBQ it on low heat for 3 hrs -------- take it off, instead of cutting it vertically, cut it horizontally ( that means left to right, not up and down). Use a sharp knife and cut it into paper thin slices . The meat will be rare, and people will rave how good it is and never believe it is brisket.

worthless
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 04:30 PM

I grew up in Arkansas. Pulled port is what we called barbecue.

Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub

worthless

Rare chewy brisket sounds delicious!
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 04:33 PM

How unfortunate.

But I understand, I have never had good red bean and rice.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 04:37 PM

Heresy. You'd HAVE to slice it razor thin to be able to choke a tough cut of meat like brisket down if only cooked for 3 hours. Briskets should have a smoke ring and melt in your mouth after 12+ hours in the pit. texas grill
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 04:41 PM

HSO!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 04:43 PM

BBQ and briskets can best be described by the different regions of the US. Just because you don't like it the way it is done in Texas, doesn't mean most Texans also don't think it is great. When I was in Georgia at Fort Benning we went to town and landed up at a BBQ joint. Those poor bastards didn't even get to eat brisket, all they had was chicken, ribs and pork. If you think that was bad, the beans were pork and beans out of a can and the potato salad was like spiced up mashed potatoes. The latter seems to be the norm today, unless it is at home and homemade, most potato salad sucks.

Our likes and dislikes in tastes of food are based on what we grew up with. In the 1960s we were headed overseas, we stopped at some small town to eat, pecan pie was on the menu. That was a mistake, not sure what it was but it wasn't a pecan pie like we make them in Texas. Another example, ordered a grilled cheese sandwich in Newark NJ, who in the hell makes a grilled cheese sandwich with swiss cheese??? And the idiot didn't even know how to toast the bread???

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: dkershen

Heresy. You'd HAVE to slice it razor thin to be able to choke a tough cut of meat like brisket down if only cooked for 3 hours. Briskets should have a smoke ring and melt in your mouth after 12+ hours in the pit. texas grill

I do not cook/smoke a lot of briskets, when I do they are usually pretty tender and juicy. And the great thing about it is you can enjoy nice thick slices like a man up laugh

Posted By: don k

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 04:54 PM

That is a good looking Brisket Stub. And I like the presentation.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 05:02 PM

Also Nate33... we all cook them the correct way in Texas because we take it serious, and it's the law.

In late 1975 Governor Dolph "Brisket" Brisco signed into law the Smoked Meats Proper Means and Methods Statutes that all God fearing Texans abide by. This was in response to fears that recent immigrants from Californian and the East Coast would commit meat and meat by-product atrocities during the numerous bi-centennial celebrations scheduled the following year. flag So please keep your Yankee under-cooked meat fetish to yourself or BP will have to stop by your place and cite you for misdemeanor beef abuse.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 05:16 PM

Don’t be silly Dave, what he is doing to a brisket constitutes a felony.
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: dkershen

I do not cook/smoke a lot of briskets, when I do they are usually pretty tender and juicy. And the great thing about it is you can enjoy a nice thick slices like a man up laugh

food
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: don k

I have a thread on the recipes forum for presentations. It would look great on there.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Don’t be silly Dave, what he is doing to a brisket constitutes a felony.

Agreed, that Yankee needs to go home.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 05:39 PM

Posted By: Grizz

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 05:50 PM

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 05:57 PM

Soooo....do you boil your brisket first like Yankees do their ribs....

Boil it until there is no flavor left, put on grill and mop with BBQ sauce....voilà...yankee BBQ!
Posted By: postoak

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 06:08 PM

How is it possible to cut meat "paper thin" or "razor thin" -- unless you have some sort of meat slicing machine?

Anyway -- isn't brisket a cheap cut of meat? Why even bother?

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: postoak
Anyway -- isn't brisket a cheap cut of meat? Why even bother?

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 06:17 PM

When my buddies and I were catering we would start the pit about 6:00 PM and throw the brisket's on the grill until browned all the way around. We then pulled them off the grill, seasoned and double wrapped with heavy duty foil. Then it was back in the pit until the next day, turning them once in 4 hours. Many times we just left them in the pit while we were driving to the location. When we unwrapped and served they were falling apart, no need for a knife. These black things they are calling brisket now just don't cut it. We would cook 10 15 lb brisket's at a time.

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
When my buddies and I were catering we would start the pit about 6:00 PM and throw the brisket's on the grill until browned all the way around. We then pulled them off the grill, seasoned and double wrapped with heavy duty foil. Then it was back in the pit until the next day, turning them once in 4 hours. Many times we just left them in the pit while we were driving to the location. When we unwrapped and served they were falling apart, no need for a knife. These black things they are calling brisket now just don't cut it. We would cook 10 15 lb brisket's at a time.

That's called roast, or pulled beef. roflmao

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 06:48 PM

Pulled beef..... clap

Just don’t pull the sausage...... bolt

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 07:04 PM

I guess we cannot cook pork butt either hammer

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 07:09 PM

Why didn’t you just pull it...... popcorn

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Is that a Pud joke confused2 rofl
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 08:08 PM

I'm sorry but your opinion is incorrect.

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Is that a Pud joke confused2 rofl
peep
Posted By: don k

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 08:58 PM

You people crack me up. Must be the heat.

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 09:06 PM

up
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Scott W

I'm sorry but your opinion is incorrect.

And thats only like 5 or 6 beers. Plus you risk cutting a finger off.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/09/18 11:52 PM

lmao some people wouldnt know a good brisket if it walked up and bit them on the [censored]

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/10/18 12:16 AM

You people crack me up. Must be the heat.

Me too....it’s the heat....alcohol has nothing to do with it...

cheers
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/10/18 03:34 AM

You must have lost your ever lovin mind!

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/10/18 11:54 AM

Showem and tellem bobcat1, that looks delicious food
Posted By: machine73

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/10/18 12:28 PM

As a reformed Yankee, I must confess Texas does it right.

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/10/18 12:46 PM

I’d take a slice of Bobcat’s brisket any day over a thin raw slice

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/10/18 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: 68rustbucket
I’d take a slice of Bobcat’s brisket any day over a thin raw slice

Amen
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/10/18 01:57 PM

Them's fightin words right there.........

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/10/18 07:28 PM

troll
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/11/18 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I grew up in Arkansas. Pulled port is what we called barbecue.

I'll have to go with Oxner on this one. Southern BBQ is always pork with beans and coleslaw. Texas BBQ is beef brisket. tater salad, and pinto beans. I dearly love both and eat the snot out of them.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/11/18 01:08 PM

i like it when people dont have a clue what they are talking about...every once in awhile you run into somebody who'll knock you in the mouth with truth.

Posted By: ronlhodges

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/11/18 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: NewGulf
i like it when people dont have a clue what they are talking about...every once in awhile you run into somebody who'll knock you in the mouth with truth.

Now that right there is what I call good looking BBQ Brisket Texas Style !

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/11/18 02:24 PM

up

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/11/18 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: ronlhodges

food food
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/22/18 07:56 PM

Go home yankee

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/22/18 09:03 PM

Yum Yum Yum!
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/22/18 09:16 PM

lmao some people wouldnt know a good brisket if it walked up and bit them on the [censored]

I ride with NG.
Posted By: decook

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/22/18 09:18 PM

Honestly guys, I think ya'll got trolled
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/22/18 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: decook

especially with the pic of pork that Stub posted..... bolt

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/22/18 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Cool Mo D

I ride with NG.

Truth^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Watched a guy pour a ton of BBQ sauce on sliced brisket and started bragging how good the brisket was hammer

If it is good you don't need nuthin on it, just chow down up

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/22/18 11:22 PM

Zactly Stub!
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/22/18 11:36 PM

4 hours on the smoke and 8 hours in the oven @ 250F
always works for me.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/23/18 04:10 AM

Thats about all the OP is good for.

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/23/18 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Thats about all the OP is good for.

Yup....was still a fun post in spite of the troll.....
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/23/18 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Cool Mo D

I ride with NG.

Truth^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Watched a guy pour a ton of BBQ sauce on sliced brisket and started bragging how good the brisket was hammer

If it is good you don't need nuthin on it, just chow down up

Amen Bro......

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/24/18 01:19 AM

Maybe a little salt and pepper, then fold it in a slice of white bread. I like the heel
Posted By: decook

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 06/24/18 12:04 PM

I'll say one thing tho, this thread brought the The Best Brisket Ever thread.

We can be thankful for that.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 08/28/18 05:42 PM

How many PMs did you get? Can't you publicly share the recipe? We'd all like to know the secret.

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 08/28/18 05:46 PM

Per nate33's post the brisket, though knock-your-socks-off-fantastic, at my last party was done wrong. <scratching head> So now I'm conflicted for how to prepare the brisket for my next party, Labor Day... the "wrong" way or nate33's way.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 08/28/18 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose

How many PMs did you get? Can't you publicly share the recipe? We'd all like to know the secret.

Sapper brought you back to this thread from the OT, didn't he?

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 08/28/18 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw

Ha, you know it.
Posted By: Cinch

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 08/29/18 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: ronlhodges

Yup food
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Texans dont know how to cook a brisket. - 08/29/18 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
Originally Posted By: Choctaw

Ha, you know it.
I couldn't let this horrible thread go unnoticed by those in the off topic roflmao
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum