Texas Hunting Forum

Nopalito recipe

Posted By: BigPig

Nopalito recipe - 05/27/18 03:19 AM

Skinnerback, I know you’ve got to have a recipe or this. Who else does?

I hit a 24hr taco joint a couple nights a week at work, and one of my favorites is their nopalito. That the flat parts of a prickly pear cactus
Posted By: Stub

Re: Nopalito recipe - 05/27/18 10:41 AM

BP if you need any Cactus Pads I got a bunch of big fat juicy ones in my Cactus garden, mine do not have the big needles the have very small ones.

Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Nopalito recipe - 05/27/18 11:10 AM

Buy the pre-cleaned pads at Fiesta or other Mexican grocer. Slice 1/2" thick and coat with olive oil and season like fajitas. Pan fry 3-5 minutes a side in bacon fat with onion. Serve on fresh corn tortillas.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Nopalito recipe - 05/27/18 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

I hit a 24hr taco joint a couple nights a week at work, and one of my favorites is their nopalito. That the flat parts of a prickly pear cactus

I go through a big jar of Dona Maria nopalitos a week, they're the best I've found, pick them up at Walmart. Save the juice and use it on a variety of items. Pretty good over a salad. I save the juice on nopalitio, jalapeno's, olives and pickles. Works great on everything!

Pour a 30 ounce jar, juice and all into a big pot of beans and some sliced jalapeno's.

Re: Nopalito recipe - 05/27/18 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Buy the pre-cleaned pads at Fiesta or other Mexican grocer. Slice 1/2" thick and coat with olive oil and season like fajitas. Pan fry 3-5 minutes a side in bacon fat with onion. Serve on fresh corn tortillas.

Clean and wash the pad then slice and dip in a little salt, allot of the old timers eat it that way. A saying among native Americans was, "With cactus you can survive, with cactus and mesquite you get fat".

Re: Nopalito recipe - 05/27/18 02:59 PM

Here ya go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Ufyv7pliY

Re: Nopalito recipe - 05/27/18 03:07 PM

Another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYXVFadCHAA

Re: Nopalito recipe - 05/27/18 03:17 PM

Hadn't seen this before but I want to try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg-QbJEpX9Y
Posted By: Cast

Re: Nopalito recipe - 05/27/18 04:33 PM

Casa Torrez has great cactus and pork dish. My fave there.

Re: Nopalito recipe - 05/27/18 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

I go through a big jar of Dona Maria nopalitos a week, they're the best I've found, pick them up at Walmart. Save the juice and use it on a variety of items. Pretty good over a salad. I save the juice on nopalitio, jalapeno's, olives and pickles. Works great on everything!

Pour a 30 ounce jar, juice and all into a big pot of beans and some sliced jalapeno's.

Never thought about them in a pot of beans. Now you are going to make me fat

Re: Nopalito recipe - 05/27/18 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub
BP if you need any Cactus Pads I got a bunch of big fat juicy ones in my Cactus garden, mine do not have the big needles the have very small ones.

I think I’m going to plant me some. The pears in them are pretty good too.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Nopalito recipe - 05/27/18 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub

I think I’m going to plant me some. The pears in them are pretty good too.

We make a bunch of prickly pear jelly every year. Have the strain it through a cheese clothe to get the seeds but it's awesome.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Nopalito recipe - 05/28/18 03:32 AM

While you at it, this fall if we have any mesquite beans, gather up a bushel of them. Then research mesquite bean coffee. It takes a little work to dry roast them and then grind them up for "coffee" but if you like it, it worth every minute. My grandpa loved his mesquite bean coffee.

Re: Nopalito recipe - 05/28/18 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
While you at it, this fall if we have any mesquite beans, gather up a bushel of them. Then research mesquite bean coffee. It takes a little work to dry roast them and then grind them up for "coffee" but if you like it, it worth every minute. My grandpa loved his mesquite bean coffee.

I have heard of this. The coffee is supposed to be sweet. But is there caffeine?
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Nopalito recipe - 05/28/18 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

I have heard of this. The coffee is supposed to be sweet. But is there caffeine?

roflmao You and your caffine fix.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Nopalito recipe - 05/28/18 05:56 PM

Try prickly pear margaritas. Darn good.
Posted By: 7mag

Re: Nopalito recipe - 05/29/18 02:15 AM

My momma use to make them this way for breakfast.Fry em in a light oil. Scramble some eggs and pour over with chili colorado. Lawd have mercy. With corn tortillas and a side of coffee. I loved em
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Nopalito recipe - 05/29/18 04:30 PM

Oh heck yeah!! Love nopalitos, fresh or from a jar. I’ve just been buying the jars lately. I don’t really have a recipe, just throw them in with whatever I’m in the mood for. My favorite nopalitos tacos are brisket/bacon/potato/onion/jalapeno/nopalito (especially after a morning hunt). Brisket/egg/nopalito. Breakfast sausage/bacon/nopalito. Papas con chorizo with nopalitos, and chorizo & egg with nopalitos. roflmao

Re: Nopalito recipe - 05/30/18 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Oh heck yeah!! Love nopalitos, fresh or from a jar. I’ve just been buying the jars lately. I don’t really have a recipe, just throw them in with whatever I’m in the mood for. My favorite nopalitos tacos are brisket/bacon/potato/onion/jalapeno/nopalito (especially after a morning hunt). Brisket/egg/nopalito. Breakfast sausage/bacon/nopalito. Papas con chorizo with nopalitos, and chorizo & egg with nopalitos. roflmao

Those are just your favorites??? roflmao

I like pastor and nopalito.

Re: Nopalito recipe - 05/31/18 05:12 AM

I made pastor tonight! Also made some achiote chicken tenders that turned out to be something special right off the disc and on a corn tort! They were gone quick!!
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Nopalito recipe - 05/31/18 05:20 AM

I made pastor tonight! Also made some achiote chicken tenders that turned out to be something special right off the disc and on a corn tort! They were gone quick!!

And no pictures. Damn it!!!! cheers

Re: Nopalito recipe - 05/31/18 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Beez

And no pictures. Damn it!!!! cheers

I’ll post some up later brother. Water heater busted and flooded room. bang
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum