Texas Hunting Forum

Cooking a Thunder Chicken

Posted By: B Razorback

Cooking a Thunder Chicken - 04/12/18 06:10 PM

Well I got lucky and somehow drew a tag my first time in Northwest Arkansas. They are only giving me 3 days to hunt this weekend, but I think I should be able to get it done (found a couple birds last week). This post is probably going to jinx me, but does anyone want to share their wild turkey recipes? It'd be appreciated!
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Cooking a Thunder Chicken - 04/12/18 06:19 PM

Instead of a chicken and sausage gumbo, I took some wild turkey I had and replaced the chicken with the turkey.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Cooking a Thunder Chicken - 04/12/18 10:52 PM

Breast it, cut it in slices and fry it like chicken. Only way I eat it.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Cooking a Thunder Chicken - 04/12/18 11:06 PM

I cooked a plucked one just like you would a thanksgiving turkey. I came out fine.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Cooking a Thunder Chicken - 04/13/18 02:36 AM

Have plucked and smoked them, and do usually one that way sometimes. Most of the time I fillet out the breast, skin and pull the thighs and legs for turkey soup, turkey pot pie, Jambalaya, Gumbo.... Breast fillets grill, smoke, strips and fry. Lots of ways to cook a turkey
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Cooking a Thunder Chicken - 04/13/18 04:07 AM

I fry in small strips. Take a breast and cut strip/nugget size against the grain. Remove any tendons to reduce chewy pieces. Dip in egg/milk and then flour. Pan fry in 1 inch of oil. Season with salt and pepper. I love the taste. Kids eat it if smaller pieces like fritters.

Also great in stir fry. Just get the tendons out and against the grain is key for tenderness.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Cooking a Thunder Chicken - 04/13/18 09:11 PM

Here is mine.
Posted By: texfork

Re: Cooking a Thunder Chicken - 04/14/18 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: bobcat1
Breast it, cut it in slices and fry it like chicken. Only way I eat it.

This is the best way for me .
Posted By: MoTex

Re: Cooking a Thunder Chicken - 04/26/18 12:47 AM

Grind it into turkey burger and make chili!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum