Texas Hunting Forum

Oysters

Posted By: NewGulf

Oysters - 02/25/18 12:10 AM

bought a gallon today and frying some now and smoking the rest tomorrow.....############# damn pb and i cant post pics. soap
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Oysters - 02/25/18 12:27 AM

The worst I ever had were wonderful. Love them fried.
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Oysters - 02/25/18 12:43 AM

Chargrilled or on the half shell all day long
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Oysters - 02/25/18 01:12 AM

I need to be down there testing them for you. food
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Oysters - 02/25/18 05:19 AM

Never met one I didn’t like.... cheers
Posted By: Stub

Re: Oysters - 02/25/18 12:26 PM

Sounds good up
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Oysters - 02/25/18 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Me too.....

Re: Oysters - 02/25/18 02:07 PM

eating what fried oysters were leftover last night for breakfast...dang theyre good
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Oysters - 02/26/18 01:00 AM

I've never had any leftover fried oysters. Like crawfish, they are all eaten the first time...

Re: Oysters - 02/26/18 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: StretchR
I've never had any leftover fried oysters. Like crawfish, they are all eaten the first time...

we dont get a meals worth...we get them by the gallon..2 gallons yesterday
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Oysters - 02/26/18 06:03 AM

Dont do oysters tried them a couple different ways just didn't like the taste. I like most other shellfish though.

Re: Oysters - 02/26/18 09:15 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Dont do oysters tried them a couple different ways just didn't like the taste. I like most other shellfish though.

Good more for us......
Posted By: PMK

Re: Oysters - 02/26/18 03:01 PM

ya'll can have my portion too ... I got food poisoning off smoked canned oysters 40+ years ago, every time I have tried since, too many flashbacks and my stomach turns upside down barf. Wish I could, used to eat dozens of fried oysters that my mom made, loved em.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Oysters - 02/26/18 03:07 PM

Where is the nearest place to Point Blank that I can get good oysters? On 190 between Livingston and Huntsville...

Re: Oysters - 03/03/18 03:55 PM

Best we have ever had was at Scuttlebutts on Corpus Christie island...

Re: Oysters - 03/03/18 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Where is the nearest place to Point Blank that I can get good oysters? On 190 between Livingston and Huntsville...

HEB carries them by the pint. My Walmart has them.
Posted By: majekman

Re: Oysters - 03/04/18 03:21 AM

I love em but only time I eat em is in season and only from Copano and Mesquite bays north of Rockport. Some of the tastiest oysters I’ve ever had and I’ve eaten em all over the Coastal states and several places in other countries
Fat and salty sweet....this season they’re especially good because of colder than normal water temps.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Oysters - 03/10/18 11:21 PM

I can eat more fryed oysters than anyone.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Oysters - 03/10/18 11:45 PM

LOL better bring your lunch! Record for oysters is 42 dozen....in 8 minutes which was a tie. The winner won the overtime with 44 dozen. Good luck.

Re: Oysters - 03/11/18 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Walkabout
LOL better bring your lunch! Record for oysters is 42 dozen....in 8 minutes which was a tie. The winner won the overtime with 44 dozen. Good luck.

i can eat a lot of oysters but i would never attempt that lol
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Oysters - 03/11/18 01:04 AM

Only fresh shucked on ice for me
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Oysters - 03/11/18 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Only fresh shucked on ice for me

That's my preference but I'll take 'em anyway I can get them..... food

Re: Oysters - 03/11/18 02:29 PM

I put a pint in my last turkey, sausage gumbo.
Posted By: Pigsicles

Re: Oysters - 03/14/18 11:30 AM

I love oysters pretty much any way they can be used. One unique way that I am very fond of is to heat a small cast iron skillet on the smoker/grill and using Mesquite chips or pellets. Place oysters with their liqueur in the skillet and gently cook them. Remove and serve on a Waverly wafer and squeeze a fresh lime wedge on top and add a dash of Tabasco sauce on it.
The combination of flavors is excellent and of course it is recommended to serve with a cold adult beverage or 3.

Re: Oysters - 03/14/18 12:47 PM

I was craving, so I bought a pint to eat raw. Ate a couple and decided they were not real good raw. I'll fry them up and try again.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Oysters - 03/14/18 01:05 PM

Fried is by far my favorite way, but I like smoked too. To me raw they just don't have any flavor, it doesn't bother me but not something would order or prepare for my tastes.
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Oysters - 03/14/18 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Pigsicles
I love oysters pretty much any way they can be used. One unique way that I am very fond of is to heat a small cast iron skillet on the smoker/grill and using Mesquite chips or pellets.

We did something similar when oysters weren't too expensive fresh, in the shell. With an oven mitt and a shucking knife, we would open and spread oysters on the half shell on a smoky grill, mesquite or hickory. Cover the grill for a few minutes, then pull the oysters off and eat from the shell with hot sauce. Was pretty good!

Re: Oysters - 03/14/18 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Fried is by far my favorite way, but I like smoked too. To me raw they just don't have any flavor, it doesn't bother me but not something would order or prepare for my tastes.

I dip mine in red sauce......Raw that is.
Posted By: Nitro27

Re: Oysters - 03/14/18 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

When you do find that one
you won't forget it
Posted By: Pigsicles

Re: Oysters - 03/14/18 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: StretchR
Originally Posted By: Pigsicles
I love oysters pretty much any way they can be used. One unique way that I am very fond of is to heat a small cast iron skillet on the smoker/grill and using Mesquite chips or pellets.

We did something similar when oysters weren't too expensive fresh, in the shell. With an oven mitt and a shucking knife, we would open and spread oysters on the half shell on a smoky grill, mesquite or hickory. Cover the grill for a few minutes, then pull the oysters off and eat from the shell with hot sauce. Was pretty good!

My rendition came from a little coastal town in Mexico that would take them in the shell and cook them over coals and serve them with the lime and hot sauce.

Now for the best charcoal / BBQ cooked oysters on the 1/2 shell has to be from Parrains in Baton Rogue. Man I could eat those all day, or at least till they ran out of beer.

Re: Oysters - 03/15/18 01:25 AM

Oyster poor boys aka fried is my favorite.
Posted By: JIMSR

Re: Oysters - 03/15/18 01:27 AM

Oyster shooters...!!!! up
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Oysters - 03/15/18 02:15 AM

I'm surprised on one has mentioned one of my favorites - oyster soup.

Use Emeril's recipe. Use milk with the oyster liquor, not water. Also, a little bit of cayenne pepper spices it up.

http://emerils.com/120700/oyster-soup
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Oysters - 03/15/18 02:29 AM

the pint oysters at the grocery suk bad, they are for soups, gumbos.

Buy in the shell on ice, fresh, buy an oyster knife and watch youtube how to shuck them its not hard once you get it going. ONLY way to go

you can fry the leftovers

Re: Oysters - 03/15/18 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By: BayouGuy
I'm surprised on one has mentioned one of my favorites - oyster soup.

Use Emeril's recipe. Use milk with the oyster liquor, not water. Also, a little bit of cayenne pepper spices it up.

http://emerils.com/120700/oyster-soup

i love oyster stew and its been way to long since ive had any food

Re: Oysters - 03/18/18 06:44 PM

I fried up that pint after they sat in buttermilk overnight. Hand cut fries too. Good.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum