Texas Hunting Forum

who adds powdered milk to sausage?

Posted By: magspa

who adds powdered milk to sausage? - 01/21/18 02:31 PM

If so do you notice much difference? Planning to make some smoked venison/pork snack sticks and kielbasa might try adding powdered milk this year. Do you notice a difference in taste of final product?
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: who adds powdered milk to sausage? - 01/21/18 05:30 PM

The powdered milk is supposed to act as a binder and help keep the sausage from drying out. I remember my grandparents adding Carnation instant milk to some of the sausages. But they also added a powder they got from the butcher, but I cannot remember what it was. The milk powder has to fine, like cornstarch, not the flake type of powdered milk. I had the sausagemaker's recipe book, but I can't find it, so everything is kind of what I can remember.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: who adds powdered milk to sausage? - 01/21/18 06:30 PM

I never have, never needed to.
Posted By: Kentucky Native

Re: who adds powdered milk to sausage? - 02/07/18 03:30 AM

Some processors add up to 3.5% by weight of powdered milk to help retain moisture and reduce "shrinkage"...evaporated water equals lost revenue when you sell by the pound.

I don't like the taste powdered milk adds and find it leaves the final sausage mushy.

If you're worried about the final product becoming dry, add some humidity when you're smoking, or try a soy powder additive.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: who adds powdered milk to sausage? - 02/07/18 01:12 PM

I'll use it making kielbasa or polish sausage.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum