Texas Hunting Forum

Go-to venison?

Posted By: HiBanksDeer

Go-to venison? - 01/16/18 10:47 PM

What is your go-to venison and what's your favorite way to prepare it?
Mine is Red Deer back strap, seasoned, and seared in a skillet for just a bit until it's truly rare, sliced and served. Oh! Can't forget the ice cold Shiner to wash it down.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Go-to venison? - 01/16/18 11:22 PM

Kubys sausage.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Go-to venison? - 01/16/18 11:27 PM

Chinese bell pepper steak.
Posted By: Kthnx

Re: Go-to venison? - 01/16/18 11:34 PM

In no specific order but things I find myself doing often

1) chicken fried
2) seasoning up pan sausage into Italian sausage for spaghetti
3) pan sausage on a beagle with a fried egg
4) sliced up cutlets for chili
5) meatloaf with spinach and cheese inside
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Go-to venison? - 01/16/18 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Kthnx
In no specific order but things I find myself doing often

1) chicken fried
2) seasoning up pan sausage into Italian sausage for spaghetti
3) pan sausage on a beagle with a fried egg
4) sliced up cutlets for chili
5) meatloaf with spinach and cheese inside

I imagine that pan sausage tastes kinda funny on a beagle.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I know you meant bagle.
Posted By: Kthnx

Re: Go-to venison? - 01/17/18 12:20 AM

Hahaha I certainly did
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Go-to venison? - 01/17/18 12:52 AM

Deer heart Guiso. Cooking some up right now!!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Go-to venison? - 01/17/18 02:10 AM

Favorite would be seared tenderloin but since that makes up a whopping 1% of the deer it’s a one meal per deer meal. Most commonly used would be ground.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Go-to venison? - 01/17/18 02:48 AM

Black buck stir fry. Simple, quick and easy.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Go-to venison? - 01/17/18 03:02 AM

Fried with gravy.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Go-to venison? - 01/17/18 04:01 AM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Fried with gravy.
up
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: Go-to venison? - 01/17/18 01:23 PM

Depends on the cut. Rear quarters get made into jerky, cut up for kabobs, or cubed for stew / jerky. Shoulders get ground for sausage or anything I’d use ground beef for. Backstrap & tenderloins get seared hot and fast. Everything else gets ground up for breakfast sausage.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Go-to venison? - 01/17/18 04:01 PM

White Tail Deer - backstrap sliced 3/8" thick then tenderized with a meat hammer. Seasoned & ckicken fried with cream gravy. Served with garlic mashed potatoes and either corn/green beans/butter beans/pinto beans.

Have a bunch of other favorite ways to cook backstrap but I guess chicken fried is still my go to. Carne quisada with rice/beans/home made flour tortillas is right there with chicken fried...but so is filet minyon's. roflmao Back strap sliced 3/4" thick and tenderized with a fork. Marinated 24-48 hrs in my special marinade, then wrapped with a piece of thin cut bacon/seasoned/put on the smoker (indirect heat). Glazed with strawberry preserves at the end. Served with my barracho beans and ice cold beer.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Go-to venison? - 01/17/18 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
White Tail Deer - backstrap sliced 3/8" thick then tenderized with a meat hammer. Seasoned & ckicken fried with cream gravy. Served with garlic mashed potatoes and either corn/green beans/butter beans/pinto beans.

Have a bunch of other favorite ways to cook backstrap but I guess chicken fried is still my go to. Carne quisada with rice/beans/home made flour tortillas is right there with chicken fried...but so is filet minyon's. roflmao Back strap sliced 3/4" thick and tenderized with a fork. Marinated 24-48 hrs in my special marinade, then wrapped with a piece of thin cut bacon/seasoned/put on the smoker (indirect heat). Glazed with strawberry preserves at the end. Served with my barracho beans and ice cold beer.

food Mmm if I ate with you for a week i'd weigh 400 lbs.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Go-to venison? - 01/17/18 08:32 PM

grin
Posted By: greenen

Re: Go-to venison? - 01/18/18 07:08 PM

No matter how I make it my favorite is always fried in the skillet.
Posted By: chesterc

Re: Go-to venison? - 01/18/18 08:03 PM

Lately we're hitting the ground meat pretty hard. Works great in spaghetti sauce, in chili, and also as a burger (no seasoning, no additions, just form up a patty and cook it in a skillet or over a fire, absolutely delicious).
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Go-to venison? - 01/18/18 08:15 PM

these days unless i cook it off the bone it goes into ground meat... we use ground meat at the house 5 nights a week so it just makes things better and healthy...

My favorite is taking the tenders right off the deer giving them a rinse roll them in beer then a light seasoning and cook a few minutes on each side over a wood fire..

If you at camp you can take a stick and put it right down the middle and hang over the fire... make sure to cook through but it does not take long at all if you got a decent fire or coals built up... there is no better cut of meat on a deer and ill even take the time to grab them out of most big sow hogs
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Go-to venison? - 01/18/18 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: chesterc
Lately we're hitting the ground meat pretty hard. Works great in spaghetti sauce, in chili, and also as a burger (no seasoning, no additions, just form up a patty and cook it in a skillet or over a fire, absolutely delicious).

Same here usually cooking for 7 so big meals are best with ground meat....

I do the same with burgers but add an egg or two depending on how many im making to help hold the patties
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Go-to venison? - 01/18/18 08:57 PM

We have a lot of favorite things with venison, including meat loaf, spaghetti sauce, etc.... But one of my favorites is mixing a couple pounds of ground with a roll of Owens hot sausage, and cooking it over a grill. It's great this way on a hamburger bun, or as a big breakfast sausage with a couple over easy eggs and some potatoes !
Posted By: PMK

Re: Go-to venison? - 01/18/18 11:04 PM

the list is endless almost ... but my favorite is German fried with skillet fries and cream gravy.

we have also gotten to really like taking tenderized steaks, a quick bath in zesty Italian salad dressing, dust with black pepper, garlic & onion powder then grilling for a couple minutes per size for fajitas.

hard to beat a butterflied stuffed backstrap (cream cheese, chopped jalapeno & onion, seasoning) wrapped in bacon into the smoker.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Go-to venison? - 01/19/18 01:26 AM

Back strap on the grill rare to med rare with Montreal steak seasoning.

6 inch piece of back strap seasoned and wrapped in bacon and smoked with cherry wood to med rare

ill eat either of these any day of the week
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum