Texas Hunting Forum

Old recipe tweaking

Posted By: chalet

Old recipe tweaking - 12/25/17 11:26 PM

On the hunt for a new dutch oven recipe for next friends and kids critter hunt weekend. Last few times it has been critter gumbo with squirrels, rabbit, couple leftover and dove and maybe some duck thrown in. Thats not a bad thing, in fact usually a hit.

Pulled this out of my 1970 Remington Sportsman WildGame Cookbook. Interestingly enough, out of about 150 pages and "hundreds of savory ways to prepare all kinds of game", only 10 pages are dedicated to venison. Mostly small game including coons, muskrat, pigeons, woodchuck, all your upland and migratory birds, etc. Think that says a lot about the shift in hunting focus the last 50 years.

Anyway, there is a couple things I plan to change. #1 not sure about the biscuit topping, albeit I am a big fan of cornbread -which it mostly appears to be. Not a fan of peas and thinking little red wine instead of beer. Also, will basically stew it in a dutch oven all afternoon, take it off and add the topping, then bake til done. Will probably try it with some of the last deer I killed next time at the lease, then maybe assorted small critters the next kid hunt.

Just wondered if anybody else does this, and if so what you'd do to this one.

Re: Old recipe tweaking - 12/25/17 11:28 PM

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Old recipe tweaking - 12/26/17 12:31 AM

Pass.

Re: Old recipe tweaking - 12/26/17 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Forget the wine, use a cup of Heineken and stir in a can of refried beans before you add the cornbread. That's what it is, cornbread. Never heard anybody call that a biscuit.

Fixed it for you Bill. Thanks.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Old recipe tweaking - 12/27/17 05:52 PM

All I know is stewing cubed venison for 1-2 hours will not result in something tender that people would want to eat unless the cubes are very small. I make carne guisada with venison often and it takes a solid 4 hours to get it to the point you start wanting to eat it.

Re: Old recipe tweaking - 12/27/17 06:34 PM

That depends on the cut and the deer. Trying to clean out my freezer and chopped up a couple packs of deer "steaks" I packed up last year. Think they were off a doe. Cubed those small and cooked for about an hour with a couple pounds of ground venison and made a pot of goulash. They were very tender when I cut and not chewy when it was done.

I agree though, if you are short on time ground meat is a better way to go.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum