Texas Hunting Forum

Busted out the Dutch Oven

Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Busted out the Dutch Oven - 12/06/17 06:09 PM

Got a nice little sow last weekend. The ham was the perfect size for the dutch oven so I thought I'd give it a shot. Came out perfect!

Injected with Tony's Roasted Garlic
Seasoned with Tony's Original, Course black pepper, and garlic powder
Tossed in some whole red potatoes, japs, onion, 2 bulbs worth of garlic cloves (I do love garlic), and some bay leaves

Stuck it in the fire, added some top coals, and let her bake for about 1.5 hrs. I gauge the done-ness by smell. Came out pretty good!

Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Busted out the Dutch Oven - 12/06/17 06:18 PM

clap Heck yes.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Busted out the Dutch Oven - 12/06/17 06:27 PM

chef
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Busted out the Dutch Oven - 12/06/17 06:28 PM

That looks awesome....... food
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Busted out the Dutch Oven - 12/06/17 06:30 PM

Looks fantastic!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Busted out the Dutch Oven - 12/06/17 06:45 PM

Never cooked anything like that in a dutch before, looks great.

I have always had problems with too much heat on the bottom burning stuff like biscuits, pie/cobbler, cake etc.

With something like that or a roast etc. do you not worry about it and just put plenty of heat on it or did you clear coals from the bottom or just plunk it in the coals?

Thanks

Re: Busted out the Dutch Oven - 12/06/17 07:00 PM

I just set it right on top of the coals and added some to the top. about half way through i did clear the bottom and top coals and let it kind of simmer. I really don't think there's a science to it, when it starts to smell really good it's about done IMO. I did stick a thermometer in it to make sure it was cooked all the way but other than that, I always just kinda guess at it and more often than not it comes out better than expected.

Haven't tried a cobbler yet, I imagine it'd be a little more involved.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Busted out the Dutch Oven - 12/06/17 07:26 PM

well done ... it's been too long since I have messed around cooking on a campfire in a dutch oven. used to take a small to medium size deer shoulder roast and do very similar to what DuckCoach did above with a little liquid whatever was available (water, coke, dr. pepper, beer, etc.)

My dad had a sure fire cobbler recipe that was so simple using canned fruit pie filling, box yellow cake mix and butter but yes, it's very easy to burn it, especially the bottom if not careful. flat nosed shovel worked great for both leveling out a spot in the coals and scooping coals on the lid. 1 box yellow cake mix, 1 large can of fruit pie filling, about a 1/2 cup butter and a little cinnamon if available. prep coals & bed, place dutch oven in bed, dump pie filling in, spread dry cake mix on top of pie filling and spread evenly, cut butter into even size pieces and arrange over the top of the dry cake mix, sprinkle with cinnamon (if avaiable). put lid on and put hot coals within the lip of the lid ... time all depended on how hot the fire was, 10-45 minutes.

Re: Busted out the Dutch Oven - 12/06/17 07:29 PM

^^^ My dad makes his just like this. Will definitely try it soon
Posted By: Cast

Re: Busted out the Dutch Oven - 12/06/17 07:30 PM

Get a cast iron trivet to put under the roast and keep the bottom from burning.
Posted By: kdub

Re: Busted out the Dutch Oven - 12/06/17 07:40 PM

That looks awesome! cheers
Posted By: majekman

Re: Busted out the Dutch Oven - 12/06/17 07:58 PM

Drooling food
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Busted out the Dutch Oven - 12/06/17 10:12 PM

clap
Posted By: Stub

Re: Busted out the Dutch Oven - 12/06/17 11:23 PM

oh Hell yes buddy, that look delicious food
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Busted out the Dutch Oven - 12/07/17 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Stub
oh Hell yes buddy, that look delicious food
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Busted out the Dutch Oven - 12/13/17 10:35 PM

Yes sir! Did the same the other day in the crockpot with a medium sow. Excellent chow.
Posted By: Pigsicles

Re: Busted out the Dutch Oven - 12/14/17 11:56 AM

I have been using cast iron for years at camp and love doing a roast with veggies in a Dutch oven.
I recently replaced a old Weber with a new one that has the center section cut out that works perfectly for a cast iron skillet or Dutch Oven and have been cooking lots of different things in both. Breakfast of bacon, sausage and eggs, Fajitas, Grilled sandwiches have all been great in the skillet. Roasts and desserts in the Dutch Oven.
Temp is very easy to control which is really the bottom line for good cast iron cooking
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Busted out the Dutch Oven - 12/18/17 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Pigsicles
I have been using cast iron for years at camp and love doing a roast with veggies in a Dutch oven.
I recently replaced a old Weber with a new one that has the center section cut out that works perfectly for a cast iron skillet or Dutch Oven and have been cooking lots of different things in both. Breakfast of bacon, sausage and eggs, Fajitas, Grilled sandwiches have all been great in the skillet. Roasts and desserts in the Dutch Oven.
Temp is very easy to control which is really the bottom line for good cast iron cooking

Nice idea please make sure and share some pics of your recipes. Also did you cut that grill out like that?
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Busted out the Dutch Oven - 12/21/17 06:12 PM

food
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Busted out the Dutch Oven - 12/25/17 01:53 PM

Looks pretty tasty there! got a deformed buck just before xmas here, he's cooling out in the cooler now, we fixing tonight to start boning him out, wonder if we could substitute that pig for a small roast or more tender piece for the dutch oven. All years of hunting never used venison in dutch oven, either on smoker, skillet frying up steaks, or smoking jerking on smoker.

Figured heat is too much for better cuts of meats? Just hard to beat potatoes, carrots in combo there...

Merry Xmas to all.....

Hunt safe....
Posted By: easttexasdiver

Re: Busted out the Dutch Oven - 01/21/18 11:19 PM

food
Posted By: Scurvy Dog

Re: Busted out the Dutch Oven - 01/22/18 05:08 PM

Good stuff!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum