Texas Hunting Forum

Young deer processing

Posted By: Texasbdog

Young deer processing - 11/29/17 01:59 PM

I had a buddy that shot a nubbing buck thinking it was a doe. He gave me the deer, now how should I have it done?
I hate to have it ground into burger and thinking about having mostly steaks. Thoughts?
Posted By: PMK

Re: Young deer processing - 11/29/17 02:30 PM

backstraps & tender loins out whole, hams into tenderized steaks, rest into hamburger or sausage (patty, link, dried, summer, buck sticks, etc. whatever your preference is)
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Young deer processing - 12/01/17 09:36 PM

You cant cut a whole cow into steaks nor can you a deer... well I guess you can call anything a steak but that's not how we do it.

Cut steaks out of the steak parts and do what you want with the rest, but ground is probably what will serve it best.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Young deer processing - 12/01/17 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
You cant cut a whole cow into steaks nor can you a deer... well I guess you can call anything a steak but that's not how we do it.

Cut steaks out of the steak parts and do what you want with the rest, but ground is probably what will serve it best.

Bingo. You can slice them better when they are partially frozen. Some ham muscles are larger than others.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Young deer processing - 12/03/17 05:45 AM

Even on the small ones I pull the back straps and tenders for cooking whole or meal size portions. The hams separate into individual muscles then can use as roasts or cut into steaks and tenderize. shoulders neck and trimmings into burger or sausage. Those young deer sure are good eating.
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Young deer processing - 12/04/17 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Even on the small ones I pull the back straps and tenders for cooking whole or meal size portions. The hams separate into individual muscles then can use as roasts or cut into steaks and tenderize. shoulders neck and trimmings into burger or sausage. Those young deer sure are good eating.

^^^This man knows what he's talking about^^^
Posted By: djs303

Re: Young deer processing - 12/11/17 04:53 AM

On a young deer like that you can cut the shoulders into small chunks and use it to make stew or carne guisada. I would separate the muscle in the hindquarters and make some steaks and roasts.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Young deer processing - 12/12/17 01:24 AM

No sense paying a processor by the pound for steaks or front shoulders, they are just too easy to handle yourself.

Deer shoulders I have got in the habit of throwing on the grill at low heat or electric roaster if I am short on time and cooking til the meat falls off. Then its cubed, shredded, frozen if I don't need it and ready to go when I do. There just isn't a whole lot of meat there to mess with.

Backstraps and tenderloins are best for whatever you want steak for. Grind the hams into burger or sausage.

Thats just me though, do what you want.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Young deer processing - 12/12/17 02:48 AM

You can put those shoulders in a crock pot as well. Tenderized steaks and or marinated fajitas.
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Young deer processing - 12/25/17 02:25 PM

Save straps, 2 tenders, debone the rest of deer, will make great burger, steaks are not really big enuff for large portions, unless you just want to....
young deer grind up easy, debone easy. Some others would say, nubbins are great camp meat! but then your local GW is not wild about in camp processing. Unless you eat the whole deer, and depose of the carcus, bones and all, with no tel tale sign of a deer.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Young deer processing - 12/29/17 05:49 PM

As stated

Back straps whole or sliced 1: thick for steaks
Loins whole
Hinds steaks
neck front shoulders and misc pieces Stew and or chop meat
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum