Posted By: Cool Mo D

Dry Pintos - 11/19/17 02:47 AM

Crock pot or not?
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Dry Pintos - 11/19/17 08:47 PM

Pressure cooker.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Dry Pintos - 11/19/17 09:21 PM

Crockpot, I set it up the evening before with the beans and water, let them soak overnight. Crank up the crockpot in the morning, and they will be ready for lunch with fresh baked cornbread.

I like to season my pinto beans with a tablespoon or 2 of one of the chili seasoning mixes that is in the cabinet.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Dry Pintos - 11/19/17 09:25 PM

food food chef
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Dry Pintos - 11/19/17 09:55 PM

Don't forget a couple ham hocks in the crockpot!
Posted By: bp3

Re: Dry Pintos - 11/19/17 10:19 PM

Pressure cooker also. food
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Dry Pintos - 11/20/17 12:13 AM

Thicken up the potlikker at the end with a can of refried beans. Put cilantro or picco de gallo at the end.

They are a lot like sex. The worst I ever had was wonderful.
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Dry Pintos - 11/20/17 02:26 AM

Soak in water overnight. Next day, cook 1 lb of homemade bacon, remove bacon when browned and add a chopped onion and some minced garlic and cook until onion is nearly translucent. Add bacon and onion/garlic/bacon grease to beans and cover with about an inch of water. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and add a bay leaf, salt, pepper, chili powder and paprika to taste. A bit of Worcestershire never hurts. When I slice my briskets on the slicer I always end up with some brisket "ends (pieces from the point that are too small to slice) so I'll chop up one of those pieces and add it to the beans as well. Everyone loves them.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Dry Pintos - 11/20/17 02:04 PM

I soak overnight, next morning I brown a 1/2 pound of bacon to just almost done. I rinse beans, put in crockpot and add 1 tbsp fiesta fajita seasoning, 1/2 tbsp of each of following: Garlic powder, onion powder, salt (optional), Black pepper, chili powder. Throw in the bacon, one chopped onion a tbsp of minced garlic and a can of rotel and a couple or three bottles of water. let run on high for an hour or two, then turn to low for a few more hours. For the last hour I add fresh cilantro and a package of little smokies.

My pot of beans aren't a side dish, they are the main course. When you come in from an all day quail hunt in the cold wind, this with a little cornbread and maybe some fried taters and onion, will get you right.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Dry Pintos - 11/20/17 03:56 PM

yep, we just started using the crock pot for beans and they come our great!

My wife prefers the clearer liquid type beans, with some bacon cooked in, pretty simple but they are just beans to add as a side dish or great with cornbread.

I prefer cooking them on down a bit more with much more meat. I usually brown a lb of breakfast sausage, 1/2 - 1 lb bacon, whole chopped onion, several cloves of crushed garlic, black pepper, onion & garlic powder and once the beans are about done, add a can of Rotel, then cook way on down to a very thick consistency. Like CCbirddogman, it's a meal in itself.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum