Texas Hunting Forum

Smoke Pork

Posted By: Buddy

Smoke Pork - 11/14/17 08:16 PM

Looking to smoke some pork, would you do a shoulder or butt? and to brine or not to brine it prior to smoking? Will smoke on my Weber smoker. Then will shred for sliders and tacos, to be served with slaw and cold beer.

Thanks for recommendations in advance
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Smoke Pork - 11/14/17 09:44 PM

Butt smoked and wrapped. I have one in the freezer to do when I get in the mood.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Smoke Pork - 11/14/17 10:00 PM

Shoulder/butt is the same thing, unless you are talking about the two halves, and then they are still pretty much the same thing. Apply a liberal amount of Bad Byron's Butt rub and smoke that sucker to 200-205.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Smoke Pork - 11/14/17 10:24 PM

Butt....225 degrees until falling apart tinder....low and slow... food
Posted By: PMK

Re: Smoke Pork - 11/14/17 11:21 PM

butt, generously rub with your favorite rub (I use salt, black pepper, garlic & onion powder as basic rub), smoke at 200-225 until bone slips out freely (internal temp 200-205) ... let rest for 20-30 minutes before shredding. To speed things along, smoke for 4-6 hours then tightly wrap in peach color butcher paper or aluminum foil until internal temp hits 195+ (it will continue to rise during the 20-30 minute rest) ...

if doing the wrapping method, I save some of those juices to pour over after shredding.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Smoke Pork - 11/15/17 03:30 AM

I don't brine a pork butt. My experience is there is enough fat to keep the meat moist.
Posted By: Pigsicles

Re: Smoke Pork - 11/15/17 12:06 PM

Just did a pork shoulder from a sow I shot Sunday.
Brined it overnight, basted it with Dales Seasoning and dusted with Salt, Pepper, Garlic powder.
Smoked on Traeger at 225 for 4 hours using Hickory pellets and misting every hour with Apple juice.
Sealed it in foil pan with more Apple juice and cooked for 5 hours at 250 till internal temp hit 200.
Perfection!

Posted By: Stub

Re: Smoke Pork - 11/15/17 12:18 PM

I like the Butts, put a lot of rub on and let it sit in the fridge for 2 days to let the rub marinate then do as suggested above.
Good luck and enjoy up

Re: Smoke Pork - 11/15/17 01:41 PM

Thanks for the tips guys, will give it try Friday and see how it goes.
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: Smoke Pork - 11/15/17 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Pigsicles
Just did a pork shoulder from a sow I shot Sunday.
Brined it overnight, basted it with Dales Seasoning and dusted with Salt, Pepper, Garlic powder.
Smoked on Traeger at 225 for 4 hours using Hickory pellets and misting every hour with Apple juice.
Sealed it in foil pan with more Apple juice and cooked for 5 hours at 250 till internal temp hit 200.
Perfection!

. Good looking pork shoulder there
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: Smoke Pork - 11/15/17 09:58 PM

Brining isn't necessary, but it's fine to do.
What everyone else said above, low and slow til IT of 200-205
Posted By: Chickenman

Re: Smoke Pork - 11/17/17 01:38 PM

Rub it with yellow mustard before seasoning it.

Re: Smoke Pork - 11/20/17 06:08 PM

results from the smoked pork I did over the weekend

brined it 12 hours in apple cider, water, and using some of the run I had prepared, and a tablespoon of red pepper flakes. Patted it dry and cover in run, smoked for 3.5 hours slow with hickory, then wrapped with foil for 6 hours. Let it sit in cooler for 1.5 hours and proceeded to shred, it came out great. Want to thank all of you for your suggestions and tips. Just using my old Brinkman smoker, have had it at least 30 years now.

Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Smoke Pork - 11/27/17 11:27 AM

up food
Posted By: Black Horse

Re: Smoke Pork - 12/15/17 11:34 PM

Yes indeed! I like big butts and I cannot lie....I love smoking pork!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum