Texas Hunting Forum

Deep fried turkey

Posted By: n_rut

Deep fried turkey - 11/14/17 01:15 AM

Gonna try a few fried turkeys, and have a few questions. How many minutes (cook time) per pound of the turkey? What's the desired cooking temp. of the peanut oil throughout the entire cooking time? And last but not least, your favorite methods of seasoning, injecting, and preparing the bird itself before frying. Let's hear it and thanks in advance.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Deep fried turkey - 11/14/17 01:33 AM

Do you have the fryer already? If not go the oilless fryer

Re: Deep fried turkey - 11/14/17 01:59 AM

Yes sir, I have everything but the birds.
Posted By: djs303

Re: Deep fried turkey - 11/14/17 02:40 AM

Heat peanut oil to 325°F (allow 45 minutes). I inject with Tony Chachere's Injectable Creole Style Butter Marinade Drain and pat marinated turkey dry(this helps with keeping the oil from boiling over), rub turkey with oil and sprinkle with Tony Chacheres' Cajun seasoning and place the turkey lifter through cavity. Turn off burner. Slowly and carefully, lower turkey into hot oil. Wear burn-proof oven mitts to protect your hand and arm from oil splatter. Turn burner back on.
Fry turkey 4 minutes per pound. Maintain oil temperature at 325°F. Remove when a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh reads 170°F. Turn burner off.
Remove turkey and place on a large baking pan. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes before removing lifter and carving.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Deep fried turkey - 11/14/17 04:51 PM

my SIL has done several for us at Thanksgiving or Christmas over the years ... I wasn't impressed with the oil-less convection frier personally ... He used Tony's Creole Style Butter and Roasted Garlic & Herb, both were great! Then sprinkle Tony's Creole seasoning and rub in good, let rest at room temperature until oil comes up to temp.

Bring peanut oil up to 250 F, slowly lower bird in, turn burner up until oil reaches 350F and then turn burner down to maintain 350. 3-4 minutes per pound until internal temperature reaches 155 F, remove bird, the internal temp will continue to rise to reach ~165 F, let rest 30 minutes before carving.

I am shooting all from memory from a couple years ago, but that's all the numbers I remember ... and I believe these were all pre-brined store bought turkeys.
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: Deep fried turkey - 11/16/17 12:46 AM

Char broil big easy works awsome. No explosions or big messes to clean up. Plus the skin is crisp with moist tender meat.
Will never deep fry again. And you have all the turkey drippings for gravy and stuffing.

Re: Deep fried turkey - 11/16/17 02:05 AM

Thanks for all of the info.
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Deep fried turkey - 11/16/17 02:25 AM

Rotisserie turkey fryer is my favorite. I have one made by Waring. Uses significantly less oil and cooks the bird evenly in about 1 hr.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Deep fried turkey - 11/20/17 11:56 PM

For y'all using the Big Easy, I use the turkey stand from one of my old deep fryer setups to hold the bird inside the basket. It makes removal of the bird easier. Y'all have a happy, safe, and blessed Thanksgiving.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Deep fried turkey - 11/28/17 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: djs303
Heat peanut oil to 325°F (allow 45 minutes). I inject with Tony Chachere's Injectable Creole Style Butter Marinade Drain and pat marinated turkey dry(this helps with keeping the oil from boiling over), rub turkey with oil and sprinkle with Tony Chacheres' Cajun seasoning and place the turkey lifter through cavity. Turn off burner. Slowly and carefully, lower turkey into hot oil. Wear burn-proof oven mitts to protect your hand and arm from oil splatter. Turn burner back on.
Fry turkey 4 minutes per pound. Maintain oil temperature at 325°F. Remove when a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh reads 170°F. Turn burner off.
Remove turkey and place on a large baking pan. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes before removing lifter and carving.

I do the exact same thing except I heat to 375 and then try to maintain 350 cooking temp at 3.5 ish minutes/lb. Important to use the tony's injection marinade - the cajun injector stuff has kind of a funny taste IMO
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum