Texas Hunting Forum

First time pheasant best preparation please

Posted By: Walkabout

First time pheasant best preparation please - 11/13/17 01:18 AM

Was gifted some wild pheasant will be MY first. Have no idea best prep but sure somebody here has some recommendations. Bring them on please.
Posted By: Stub

Re: First time pheasant best preparation please - 11/13/17 01:23 AM

Never had Pheasant so this will be interesting.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: First time pheasant best preparation please - 11/13/17 01:29 AM

I breast mine out, roll them in flour and throw them in hot grease. Make rice, gravy, green beans and you have a meal.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: First time pheasant best preparation please - 11/13/17 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
I breast mine out, roll them in flour and throw them in hot grease. Make rice, gravy, green beans and you have a meal.

About the same but white wine and mushrooms are involved.

Similar to this.
Place your vegetables in the bottom of your crock pot and place the pheasant over the vegetables. Top the meat with the bacon and pour the broth and sherry over all. Season with the spices to taste. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.Dec 10, 2012

Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: First time pheasant best preparation please - 11/13/17 02:39 AM

When I went to school in Iowa. ALL they did was throw it into the Crock Pot and add cream of mushroom soup......Mmmm mmm GOOD!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: First time pheasant best preparation please - 11/13/17 03:07 AM

tried one from a lipton golden onion dry soup mix package for Cornish hen that turned out good with pheasant as well.

box of Uncle Bens long grain wild rice mix. Prepare per directions.
Lipton Golden onion soup mix but with half the water so it is more of a gravy.
in baking dish with a lid make bed rice that is left from stuffing the bird.
Place stuffed bird on bed of rice.
Pour gravy over bird and cool 45 minutes in oven at 325 then cool uncovered for 15 minutes.

Works well with Cornish hens but a couple strips of bacon over the bird while cooking helped the pheasant cooked this way
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: First time pheasant best preparation please - 11/13/17 01:55 PM

Fried like chicken. Tastes like a big quail!
Posted By: chalet

Re: First time pheasant best preparation please - 11/13/17 07:26 PM

I tried getting fancy with pheasant when me and Dad went up to Kansas few times. Figured out quick it was tough to beat chicken fried with gravy.
Posted By: oldstyle244

Re: First time pheasant best preparation please - 11/13/17 08:51 PM

I made some yesterday. Brine overnight in kosher salt, garlic, brown sugar. Let dry, rubbed brown sugar all over it, wrapped in bacon and put in the smoker at about 225-250 degrees for 2 hours. Yummy!
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: First time pheasant best preparation please - 11/13/17 10:10 PM

I breast mine, soak in buttermilk for at least 24 hours, then I used the Louisiana Chicken Fry batter and fried them up.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: First time pheasant best preparation please - 11/13/17 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock
I breast mine, soak in buttermilk for at least 24 hours, then I used the Louisiana Chicken Fry batter and fried them up.

What do you do with the legs and thighs? Legs are hard to eat but the thighs are taste and both work in potpie or with dumplings or soup
Posted By: HOF

Re: First time pheasant best preparation please - 11/14/17 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: bobcat1
Fried like chicken. Tastes like a big quail!

This. You won't be sorry.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum