Texas Hunting Forum

Brisket Burgers

Posted By: MeanGreen85

Brisket Burgers - 11/01/17 07:21 PM

I picked up a brisket on sale last week, and since I already have one I in the deep freeze, I'm thinking about grinding up the flat for burgers.

Anyone done this before? Any suggestions?
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Brisket Burgers - 11/01/17 07:29 PM

I actually mix ground brisket with ground chuck about a 50/50 mix, I've never done just brisket.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Brisket Burgers - 11/01/17 07:49 PM

I don't understand why you would want to. You can buy it already ground cheaper at the proper fat ratio. I buy my burgers already made up. My preference is 85/15 for burgers and 90/10 for chopped beef dishes such as meatloaf or spaghetti.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Brisket Burgers - 11/01/17 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I don't understand why you would want to. You can buy it already ground cheaper at the proper fat ratio. I buy my burgers already made up. My preference is 85/15 for burgers and 90/10 for chopped beef dishes such as meatloaf or spaghetti.

It's a different texture and a nice little change of pace. Where is ground beef cheaper than $1.97lb, not questionable ground beef that is?

Re: Brisket Burgers - 11/01/17 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock
Originally Posted By: bill oxner

It's a different texture and a nice little change of pace. Where is ground beef cheaper than $1.97lb, not questionable ground beef that is?

Yup. Different texture / flavor, and the brisket was only $1.69/lb. can't get close to that with pre-ground for anything close to decent.
Posted By: bp3

Re: Brisket Burgers - 11/02/17 12:19 AM

Bought 85/15 at United today buy one get one free came out to 2.35 lb.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Brisket Burgers - 11/02/17 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: MeanGreen85
I picked up a brisket on sale last week, and since I already have one I in the deep freeze, I'm thinking about grinding up the flat for burgers.

Anyone done this before? Any suggestions?

Did you get it at Krogers for $1.69? I went twice and the briskets were not worth it, way to much fat front and back.

BTW brisket burgers sound good. Try Brisket quesadillas up Any leftover brisket we have the wife chops up and we have BBQ sammiches food
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Brisket Burgers - 11/02/17 04:09 PM

I would give it a go and would bet you can surely make burger cheaper than buying it. Last time I looked burger was around 4-5 a pound? I don't know, I don't usually buy burger we used ground venison mixed with a little pork if we want a little fat in it.
Posted By: Tres

Re: Brisket Burgers - 11/02/17 05:34 PM

Do it, you will not regret it. Only way I make burgers at home now. I sear them on the disc to get a good crust.

Re: Brisket Burgers - 11/02/17 05:37 PM

Stub yes it came from Kroger. Didn't look awful, so I figured why not given the price.

Tres, do you add any fat to yours? I've added bacon trimmings or pork fat in the past with venison. Don't have a disc, but I do have an egg, so these will go on it.
Posted By: Tres

Re: Brisket Burgers - 11/02/17 06:36 PM

You won't need to add fat, in fact I usually trim some off the brisket before I grind it, a little less than you would if you were going to smoke it.

Re: Brisket Burgers - 11/02/17 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Tres
You won't need to add fat, in fact I usually trim some off the brisket before I grind it, a little less than you would if you were going to smoke it.

Awesome, thanks!
Posted By: HOF

Re: Brisket Burgers - 11/03/17 07:42 PM

We've got a place that uses twice ground brisket in the burgers. Oddly, they are too lean for my liking.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum