The Perfect Steak? - 08/07/17 06:53 PM

What is it?

Porterhouse for me.
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/07/17 07:02 PM

All in the way you cook it for me.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/07/17 07:24 PM

A ribeye, cooked just enough to keep it on the plate, but still trying to get away.
Posted By: PMK

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/07/17 07:56 PM

smoked ribeye for me, medium rare, reverse sear
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/07/17 08:05 PM

I prefer a reverse seared 1 1/2 thick ribeye. I smoke it until rare using cherry wood and then do a very hot sear to add a crust and get the steak to med rare and then eat.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/07/17 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: NewGulf
What is it?

Porterhouse for me.

Mine is the small side of the porterhouse aka tenderloin, medium rare.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/07/17 09:06 PM

Ribeye med-rare.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/07/17 09:36 PM

I actually prefer a sirloin. It's a little chewier but I find it to have a lot more flavor. Cast iron seared and medium rare.
Posted By: JLP83

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/07/17 10:59 PM

Med rare ribeye cooked directly on the coals

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/07/17 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By: NewGulf
What is it?

Porterhouse for me.

There is only one porterhouse per side of beef. It has an extra gristle running through the big side. I've found that the T-bone next to the porterhouse is a little better on the big side.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/07/17 11:13 PM

1 to 1.5 inch ribeye; salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder cooked over Charcoal 3-5 minutes a side turned once and then rested 10 minutes on the plate. Charred good on the outside but red in the middle. food
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/07/17 11:29 PM

Certified Angus Beef Prime 30 day aged ribeye; less that 2% of beef meets this criteria. Hard to find in a regular grocery store. Cooked at 1100 plus degrees over pure mesquite. You can't hit that temp. in a yuppy cooker.
Posted By: Guy

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/07/17 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by NewGulf
What is it?

Porterhouse for me.

Cant beat it. 2 steaks in 1, NY strip and tenderloin. Here is the best way to cook them..

Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/08/17 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse
I actually prefer a sirloin. It's a little chewier but I find it to have a lot more flavor. Cast iron seared and medium rare.
food
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/08/17 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw
Ribeye med-rare.

This or the one on my plate. I am not picky when it comes to steak food
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/08/17 12:56 AM

You can't use the palm of your hand to taste steak doneness. It's stupid and no one does it. Everyone's hands are different and so is their touch. The best method is a good thermo.

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/08/17 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: JLP83
Med rare ribeye cooked directly on the coals
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/08/17 01:47 AM

Large 1 to 1 1/2" thick T-Bone cooked medium to medium rare over hot mesquite coals. Seasoning varies depending on mood.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/08/17 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Huntmaster
You can't use the palm of your hand to taste steak doneness. It's stupid and no one does it. Everyone's hands are different and so is their touch. The best method is a good thermo.
I've cooked a lot of med rare steaks and never needed a thermostat to do it. The key is to just not overcook it, play it safe and pull it off as soon as you think it good to go and if it's slightly less than med rare that's still good too.

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/08/17 02:12 AM

Posted By: Guy

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/09/17 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Huntmaster

A thermo? Now that is stupid. The concept of the palm thing, is just that, a concept. Which you are missing. You poke the steak, with fork or what ever, and learn doness of steak by "feel". That is the point.
Posted By: TXAg08

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/11/17 09:35 PM

Bone-IN Ribeye med-Rare for me. Salt, Pepper and a little garlic
Posted By: retfuz

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/12/17 07:55 PM

Bone in rib eye cooked medium.
Posted By: HMK

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/13/17 08:03 PM

Steak is my favorite food. I don't care what kind. Used to be that I wanted it well done, but after reading thread after thread here, I decided to try med-well and to be honest, it has much more flavor and doesn't need to be flooded with ketchup. I'm a willow, I can bend. As long as Blood doesn't run around on the plate, I'm good.

We mix up a stick of butter with garlic salt and continually add to steak as it cooks on the grill or under the broiler.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/13/17 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: HMK
Steak is my favorite food. I don't care what kind. Used to be that I wanted it well done, but after reading thread after thread here, I decided to try med-well and to be honest, it has much more flavor and doesn't need to be flooded with ketchup. I'm a willow, I can bend. As long as Blood doesn't run around on the plate, I'm good.

We mix up a stick of butter with garlic salt and continually add to steak as it cooks on the grill or under the broiler.

eek2
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/14/17 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: HMK

Posted By: Erny

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/14/17 12:23 AM

Bison ribeye rare......with a little garlic, salt, and pepper.
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/16/17 06:14 PM

NY Strip, thick and well marbled.

Brush LIGHTLY with
3 parts olive oil
1 part soy sauce
Plenty fresh ground black pepper
Light salt (I like to add course grd salt on the plate)
Paprika

Reverse sear cook:
10 min in oven at 300 F
Sear on both sides very hot grill.
Rest 5-8 minutes

Eat.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/21/17 11:30 PM

Medium rare ribeye off the gas grill tonight was freaking perfection! food
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/22/17 08:13 PM

We pull the steak out a couple hours early, liberally salt both sides and the cast iron to med-rare. I put pepper on immediately after pulling it off the skillet.

I first saw this idea on a show called Good Eats regarding fajitas. I really was intrigued and always wanted to try. The show host got a hair dryer to blow off all the superficial ash and then directly put the steak on the coals.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/22/17 08:34 PM

ribeye rare+ cut into thin slits on top of a loaded salad with bluecheese crumbles... spicy bloody Mary to compliment the dish
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/23/17 04:56 AM

I like steak. Porter house, NY Strip, Filet and Rib eyes. Bone in filet is awesome,
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/23/17 11:50 AM

Fillet rare/medium rare with a good wood fire char on the outside.

Any other steak I'd say I could probably cook it just as good as any restaurant but the Beehive is Abilene makes an outstanding fillet! It is my choice at any steakhouse or restaurant and I've tried them many different places and the Beehive's are the best. I did have one in Cody, WY (I believe it was pan seared) that came close.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/23/17 01:11 PM

3" thick bone in ribeye, reverse seared. Uncle Chris and black pepper.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/23/17 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
3" thick bone in ribeye, reverse seared. Uncle Chris and black pepper.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 08/25/17 03:24 AM

Smoked prime rib.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 09/07/17 07:19 PM

Filet, medium-rare

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 09/08/17 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
Filet, medium-rare

Here you go.

It's a prime tenderloin with coleslaw, and a baked potato.

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 09/11/17 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck
We pull the steak out a couple hours early, liberally salt both sides and the cast iron to med-rare. I put pepper on immediately after pulling it off the skillet.

I first saw this idea on a show called Good Eats regarding fajitas. I really was intrigued and always wanted to try. The show host got a hair dryer to blow off all the superficial ash and then directly put the steak on the coals.

and???
Posted By: Cast

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 09/11/17 03:29 PM

That's how I cook Judge Crater steak.
Posted By: kdub

Re: The Perfect Steak? - 09/11/17 04:53 PM

I like a prime ribeye, bone in is great, so is dry aged if you can get it. PRIME is a must.
Seared red hot in a skillet(with a little peanut oil) over coals. I can get my pit boss up to 750+ so it usually only takes a minute or so in each side to come out rare.

If it's a really thick steak reverse sear is the way to go. Put on a rack in the oven at 250 until the temp get's up to 100, sear it like above and pull when the temp is around 115-120 for rare, 120-125 for med rare. The temp will rise another 5 degrees or so while it rests.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum