Texas Hunting Forum

Sorry guys but...

Posted By: Guy

Sorry guys but... - 08/06/17 08:10 PM

Nothen better than a real burn and cold beer on a hot afternoon, burning pellets just wouldn't be the same.

Posted By: Stub

Re: Sorry guys but... - 08/06/17 09:23 PM

Guy why you start a fire on a hot afternoon, just to enjoy a cold beer confused2 grin

Re: Sorry guys but... - 08/06/17 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub
Guy why you start a fire on a hot afternoon, just to enjoy a cold beer confused2 grin

Cuz I'm hard core BBQ smorker stub. A little heat don't scare me from a good burn. up
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Sorry guys but... - 08/06/17 10:21 PM

How close was you sitting to the fire to get a "Good burn"?

Re: Sorry guys but... - 08/06/17 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Dalee7892

Close enough to smell it and poke it. And a good drip sweat ain't so bad either.

Re: Sorry guys but... - 08/06/17 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy

Close enough to smell it and poke it. And a good drip sweat ain't so bad either.

Well did you get a heat tan ?

Re: Sorry guys but... - 08/06/17 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub

Well did you get a heat tan ?

Stub I have the best Bbq tan, I would post a pic of me and my tan, but I don't want to show offf too much.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Sorry guys but... - 08/07/17 01:50 AM

Nothen better than a real burn burning pellets just wouldn't be the same.

Gospel!
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Sorry guys but... - 08/07/17 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: NewGulf
Nothen better than a real burn burning pellets just wouldn't be the same.

Gospel!
I am old and lazy and love my pellet pooper... just sayin'.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Sorry guys but... - 08/07/17 05:10 AM

Id rather sit in the AC while my electric smoker than burns wood chips cooks my meat at a constant temp and doesn't require constant attention.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Sorry guys but... - 08/07/17 10:34 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Id rather sit in the AC while my electric smoker than burns wood chips cooks my meat at a constant temp and doesn't require constant attention.

Yup.
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: Sorry guys but... - 08/07/17 11:50 AM

Nothing beats a classic smoker. Just a lot of up keep...If I still had my classic smoker at home and not my new propane smoker. I would be drunk by 10am cooking brisket all day. lol

Re: Sorry guys but... - 08/07/17 01:08 PM

I'm going to rig my smoker up with one of those electric fan temp controller systems, they then require a lot less attention, just need to keep it loaded with wood. Looking at the Flame Boss.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Sorry guys but... - 08/07/17 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: DPirates80
Nothing beats a classic smoker. Just a lot of up keep...If I still had my classic smoker at home and not my new propane smoker. I would be drunk by 10am cooking brisket all day. lol

Stick burners require lots of silver bullets!
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Sorry guys but... - 08/07/17 03:14 PM

I'm going to rig my smoker up with one of those electric fan temp controller systems, they then require a lot less attention, just need to keep it loaded with wood. Looking at the Flame Boss.

I built my own with a PID controller and some powerful larger computer fans for about $90, IIRC. Works great, keeps temp on my 350 gal propane tank offset smoker within 5 degrees of set temp.

Re: Sorry guys but... - 08/07/17 03:23 PM

Love my offset smoker, cooked 5 pork shoulders in it two weeks ago.
There is something really enjoyable (most of the times) with tending to your smoker while its cooking, the smell, some cold beer or ice tea and you're good to go up

Re: Sorry guys but... - 08/07/17 03:31 PM

And once you are familiar with your smoker and know how it runs, tending to it is more fun than work. For me it's as easy as adding a few splits every hour or hour and a half.

Re: Sorry guys but... - 08/07/17 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: MacDaddy21

I built my own with a PID controller and some powerful larger computer fans for about $90, IIRC. Works great, keeps temp on my 350 gal propane tank offset smoker within 5 degrees of set temp.

Interesting, I don't think I'm smart enough to do that. I would like to see some pics how you did that. The Flame Boss looks pretty slick with its wifi app. The fan set up is more for egg smokers, I have not seen one rigged on an offset smoker like mine.

Re: Sorry guys but... - 08/07/17 04:54 PM

Interesting, I don't think I'm smart enough to do that. I would like to see some pics how you did that. The Flame Boss looks pretty slick with its wifi app. The fan set up is more for egg smokers, I have not seen one rigged on an offset smoker like mine.

I'll get some pics for you and post them up as soon as I can. It really isn't hard to assemble and wire, the trickiest part is adjusting/tuning the PID controller. The PID does have an autotune feature that got it pretty close but it still required some fine tuning.
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: Sorry guys but... - 08/07/17 05:09 PM

And once you are familiar with your smoker and know how it runs, tending to it is more fun than work. For me it's as easy as adding a few splits every hour or hour and a half.
My vertical smoker is as easy as setting it to what temp I want it, and adding wood. Other than that I sit and wait for my wireless meat thermometer to tell me when to go wrap my brisket in butcher paper during the stall. Normally i'll get my propane smoker going early in day, then invite everyone over later when its almost done, then I light up my ol charcoal grill and grill up burgers, sausage, and boudain for the kids.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum