Texas Hunting Forum

Had a Hankering

Posted By: TexFlip

Had a Hankering - 08/02/17 11:03 PM

For some reason out of the blue at work, I started thinking about chicharrones. Couldn't shake the thought of some fresh fried pork flesh. Stopped by my local Mexican grocer and put those cravings to rest.
Do you partake?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Had a Hankering - 08/02/17 11:06 PM

Looks good. What is it?
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Had a Hankering - 08/02/17 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
For some reason out of the blue at work, I started thinking about chicharrones. Couldn't shake the thought of some fresh fried pork flesh. Stopped by my local Mexican grocer and put those cravings to rest.
Do you partake?

Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Had a Hankering - 08/02/17 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Looks good. What is it?

Fried pig skin.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Had a Hankering - 08/02/17 11:36 PM

Looks good. What is it?

Fried pig skin.

In!
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Had a Hankering - 08/02/17 11:47 PM

Yes Sir I do! Looks good. I may have to grab a pork belly tomorrow LOL.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Had a Hankering - 08/02/17 11:48 PM

you bet
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Had a Hankering - 08/03/17 01:10 AM

Would food
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Had a Hankering - 08/03/17 03:18 AM

Good gosh O'Friday... Yes IN!
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Had a Hankering - 08/03/17 04:25 AM

Yes sir!
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Had a Hankering - 08/03/17 04:39 AM

Don't think that is a chicharrone, they are pork skins that have the fat rendered out, that looks more like pork fat deep fried.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Had a Hankering - 08/03/17 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw
Looks good. What is it?

Fried pig skin.

In!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Had a Hankering - 08/03/17 01:25 PM

Yep food
Posted By: PMK

Re: Had a Hankering - 08/03/17 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: fmrmbmlm
Don't think that is a chicharrone, they are pork skins that have the fat rendered out, that looks more like pork fat deep fried.

kinda what I was thinking ... I thought chicharrone were cooked to a crisp or puffy texture, crunchy ... not sure what its called when merely cooked to still contain moisture. Looks good whatever it's called. I frequently buy store bought called anything from chicharrone, pig skins, pork rinds, etc.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Had a Hankering - 08/03/17 04:07 PM

They're cooked differently and called different things depending on where you are. Sometimes they are skin only, fat all rendered and then flash fried to puff up crispy. Sometimes they are cooked more like cracklins with the bacon still on, thick like/sometimes flash fried and sometimes not. Little Mexican meat market down the road makes them like Texflip's picture, and they are awesome. Directly across the street from them at a taco shop they make them skin only and crispy.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Had a Hankering - 08/03/17 08:03 PM

Got some Old Time Fat Back Skins,while in Charleston SC. Was going to order some, but dang, the shipping is terrible $$
Posted By: TXAg08

Re: Had a Hankering - 08/03/17 08:09 PM

Good little snacks.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Had a Hankering - 08/04/17 12:00 AM

Do you partake?

did you fry them or buy them cooked? I'm in!!
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Had a Hankering - 08/04/17 09:20 PM

I love them! food
Posted By: Stub

Re: Had a Hankering - 08/04/17 11:37 PM

Have not yet, will certainly change that PDQ, looks great food
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Had a Hankering - 08/05/17 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
They're cooked differently and called different things depending on where you are. Sometimes they are skin only, fat all rendered and then flash fried to puff up crispy. Sometimes they are cooked more like cracklins with the bacon still on, thick like/sometimes flash fried and sometimes not. Little Mexican meat market down the road makes them like Texflip's picture, and they are awesome. Directly across the street from them at a taco shop they make them skin only and crispy.
We used to buy a 50lb box of cracklins we added to our dog food for the bird dogs. I used to eat the good pieces out of it. grin
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum