Texas Hunting Forum

Beans & Cornbread

Posted By: J.R.

Beans & Cornbread - 06/14/17 12:59 PM

Soaked pinto beans overnight, then simmered yellow onions, cumin, Spanish oregano, and bacon until the aromas were just right. Added sofrito & simmered until just right. Then, added the beans, chicken stock, salt, pepper, and cilantro & cooked low for hours until tender. Then cooked a double batch of Jiffy cornbread, perfectly browned & still moist. This house smelled AWESOME!

Proudly informed the family that dinner of delicious beans & cornbread was almost ready. Without skipping a beat, they asked, "What are we having them with?"

"With"? When I grew up, there was no "with"...beans & cornbread WAS the meal.

Anyone else consider beans & cornbread a complete meal, or are they just sides?
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/14/17 01:04 PM

That's a complete meal at our house, and a danged good one.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/14/17 01:04 PM

Yup, that's a complete meal . June is not the time of year for that meal but it is a complete meal.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/14/17 01:05 PM

The way I cook beans, you have to wade through the bacon and sausage to find the beans. Definitely a mean.
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/14/17 01:08 PM

Beans and cornbread alone are a meal, with all those ingredients it's a complete meal food You're recipe sounds great! Growing up I remember my parents and grandparents cooked a meat, several vegetables or side dishes, salad, and a slice of white bread, and there was always a dessert. No way could I do all that or eat that much now days. We keep it simple and that's fine with us
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/14/17 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasKC
Posted By: Cast

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/14/17 02:13 PM

That's a well balance meal.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/14/17 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasKC

Buddy you make something that good and brag about it, we want to see pictures up
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/14/17 03:52 PM

Buddy you make something that good and brag about it, we want to see pictures up [/quote] NO pictures or an invite over.......... realmad
Posted By: Buddy

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/14/17 04:24 PM

Sounds like a meal, but we do add skillet fried taters to the plate on occasions
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/14/17 04:34 PM

Yeah, potatoes would be a good side but not necessary.

Meal.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/14/17 04:57 PM

You can also boil the taters with the beans. Tasty taters.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/14/17 11:49 PM

If we had an add it was fried taters. Wasn't necessary but a good add.
Posted By: ThreePeppers

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/15/17 04:19 PM

When I was a kid beans and cornbread was always one of my favorite meals and a regular in our rotation. Once I was grown I was talking to my mom about it and she asked if I realized we normally had it on Thursdays. I did not and she went on to inform me that dad got paid on Friday and there was usually no meat in the house by Thursday night, hence the beans and cornbread. To the OP's point, this is a concept my kids know nothing about. Still one of my favorites though!
Posted By: ronlhodges

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/15/17 04:25 PM

I eat CB and beans all the time for sides but sometimes just CB and beans for a meal is all we have . Just me and the wife so no problems with others asking what else . Oh I might get a big chunk of yellow onion for a side wink .
Posted By: BDB

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/15/17 05:02 PM

Take those same beans...add some COLD cottage cheese as a side and of course the corn bread. I have my grandmother's black iron skillet from east Tnn where I'm from. No telling how much corn bread that skillet has served over the years.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/15/17 05:40 PM

Mom & Dad always made fried taters & onion for a side with beans & cornbread. My wife and I just eat beans & cornbread most of the time.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/15/17 06:24 PM

Smoked Ham hocks are always in the pot and yes its a meal in itself.
Posted By: GHale

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/15/17 09:13 PM

I grew up eating Ham & Beans with cornbread as a complete meal. Desert was cornbread covered in Karo Syrup.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/15/17 10:49 PM

Growing up we had some kind of beans almost every day. My mom had a special bean pot, nothing else EVER got cooked in it. Home made corn bread, not out of a box had a thick crust we would separate and eat with sorghum and home made butter.
If we were lucky she would cook extra and the next day she would make chili beans.
Posted By: maximum

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/15/17 11:00 PM

that's what was for dinner today, but now
there's none left for supper.

the hambone always gets saved for beans or b.e. peas
Posted By: PMK

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/15/17 11:40 PM

would toss in a few pickled chopped jalapenos ... complete meal for me if I had a big bowl
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/16/17 09:45 PM

Fresh pintos w/cornbread Wed nite, leftovers last nite. MEAL!!!! food
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/17/17 08:08 PM

Good cold weather meal...

Cornbread and buttermilk? Anyone
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Beans & Cornbread - 06/23/17 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: J.R.
Soaked pinto beans overnight, then simmered yellow onions, cumin, Spanish oregano, and bacon until the aromas were just right. Added sofrito & simmered until just right. Then, added the beans, chicken stock, salt, pepper, and cilantro & cooked low for hours until tender. Then cooked a double batch of Jiffy cornbread, perfectly browned & still moist. This house smelled AWESOME!
Proudly informed the family that dinner of delicious beans & cornbread was almost ready. Without skipping a beat, they asked, "What are we having them with?"
"With"? When I grew up, there was no "with"...beans & cornbread WAS the meal.
Anyone else consider beans & cornbread a complete meal, or are they just sides?

that's not a 'complete meal' - it a CELEBRATION(fiesta) on a plate!!! I'll be over for leftovers!!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum