Texas Hunting Forum

Shopping for offset smoker

Posted By: 68rustbucket

Shopping for offset smoker - 04/15/17 11:43 PM

Shopping for a stick burner for the patio. Just want to smoke a single brisket or small amount. Was going to get an Old Country Wrangler at academy, but it's now Wrangler II. Not 1/4" metal, looks like 14 gauge, pretty flimsy. Do I need 20" chamber, or will 16" fit my needs?
Posted By: Tres

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/16/17 03:54 AM

16 should work for you, but I wouldn't buy a smoker from Academy, as you stated, it won't last long. Try craigslist, always some on there.
Posted By: Mike Mathena

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/16/17 10:42 AM

Just finished building mine a couple of weeks ago, got some 18 inch and 2 inch pipe from the scrap yard, cost me about $140 with welding rods, paint and all

Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/16/17 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Mathena
Just finished building mine a couple of weeks ago, got some 18 inch and 2 inch pipe from the scrap yard, cost me about $140 with welding rods, paint and all

nice little pit!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/16/17 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: NewGulf
Originally Posted By: Mike Mathena

nice little pit!

Nice build Mike up

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/16/17 02:24 PM

68 how much $$ are you willing to spend?
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/16/17 04:13 PM

Tag. Considering this myself so I'll piggyback on 68rustbucket

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/16/17 04:33 PM

Budget was 500, now up to 1k. Will swing by bucees in new braunfels today and have a look. Found a place in SA called jeffs backyard. They have a 20" x 32" with the smoke stack at grate level and 12" metal wheels for 1k. 1/4" pipe, this is what I was looking for. 16"x32" is about 750
Posted By: PMK

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/17/17 02:48 PM

Lyfe Tyme ... my son in law picked up a nice offset 20" dia double door with fire box at HEB (Katy/Houston) ... should be in your price range.

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/17/17 03:24 PM

Thanks!
I'll look at HEB in New Braunfels today. It's across the hwy from bucees. Found another called Helotes Pits in Helotes. Has a square fire box with side loading door. Was looking for one like that.

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/17/17 03:50 PM

Looked online closest HEB that has one is in Kyle
Posted By: djs303

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/17/17 09:24 PM

I have an All Season 24" x 20" BBQ Pit w/ Firebox. They sell for around $900. Very well engineered and easy to keep consistent temp. They sell them at HEB and Bucees'
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/17/17 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: djs303
I have an All Season 24" x 20" BBQ Pit w/ Firebox. They sell for around $900. Very well engineered and easy to keep consistent temp. They sell them at HEB and Bucees'

I've often wondered about them, with it being such thin metal how would it be at holding a temp and how much wood does it take vs. a thicker metal.

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/17/17 10:16 PM

I saw a 48x20 at NB bucees today. It's only 3/16 metal, but interesting baffle plate with 4 tuning vents under the grill

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/18/17 12:31 AM

68rustbucket Pm sent

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/18/17 12:50 AM

Got it
Thanks!
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/18/17 10:51 PM

my bro inlaw builds these

Posted By: Red Bone 936

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/19/17 12:56 AM

Lyfe Tyme can't beat them!!

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/19/17 02:06 AM

Picked up my new smoker today. Looked at 5 different places, the last place is where I made the purchase. Missed out on a lyfe time 20x40 double lid that sold last night. Also the HEB pricing is different in central Texas than the Houston area. More expensive here. End up with a Helotes brand pit, made in Helotes. 20x36 with square fire box, end load door, 2 slide out racks, and smoke stack vented at grill level. All 1/4" metal. The branding is too blingy for me, so I'll paint it black. Will start the seasoning process tomorrow. Thanks for all the input.

Posted By: Red Bone 936

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/19/17 02:32 AM

Sweet

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/19/17 03:27 AM

Dang That looks like a goodun!
Posted By: Mike Mathena

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/19/17 11:10 AM

Nice set up, i can't wait to build another. I really like the sliding racks

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/19/17 12:15 PM

up

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/19/17 02:43 PM

stupid I phone

Posted By: Buddy

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/19/17 03:30 PM

Like that design - I am looking myself, just having a difficult time on price and decision.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/19/17 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: 68rustbucket
Thanks!
I'll look at HEB in New Braunfels today. It's across the hwy from bucees. Found another called Helotes Pits in Helotes. Has a square fire box with side loading door. Was looking for one like that.

Well since you said new braunfels. There is or used to be a place called New Braunfels Smokers... In New Braunfels of all places. My grandmother bought me, my brother, and my dad each a pit from there several years ago. They are built heavy and have held up well. Not cheap but not expensive for a well built pit. Maybe check them out.
Posted By: JTS

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/19/17 07:28 PM

68Rustbucket, I would flip those cooking grates over before you cook on it. It will be much easier to use a wire brush on it the other way.

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/19/17 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Thanks!

Well since you said new braunfels. There is or used to be a place called New Braunfels Smokers... In New Braunfels of all places. My grandmother bought me, my brother, and my dad each a pit from there several years ago. They are built heavy and have held up well. Not cheap but not expensive for a well built pit. Maybe check them out.

Unfortunately New Braunfels was bought out in 1997 & Oklahoma Joe's I think in 2014 by Char Broil , both are now cheap thin metal products. So everyone be aware if you buy a used one of either, lift the lid to the smoker if it feels light, it is the Char Broil cheap version! loser8

{In 2002 the owner of New Braunfels Smoker Co. plans to close its New Braunfels manufacturing facility in coming months, throwing about 170 employees out of work.

With the plant closure, New Braunfels Smoker products will be produced at the main plant of Char-Broil, one of the largest U.S. makers of outdoor gas and electric grills}
Posted By: djs303

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/19/17 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock
Originally Posted By: djs303

I've often wondered about them, with it being such thin metal how would it be at holding a temp and how much wood does it take vs. a thicker metal.

The one I have is 3/16 inch thick metal so your only talking a 16th inch less than 1/4.

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/19/17 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: JTS
68Rustbucket, I would flip those cooking grates over before you cook on it. It will be much easier to use a wire brush on it the other way.

I was thinking about that.
Thanks

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/24/17 06:32 PM

Burned a couple seasoning fires last week, now it's time to cook! Thought I'd start with a rack of pork spare ribs first, hard to mess them up.

Sorry about the sideways iPhone pic
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Shopping for offset smoker - 04/24/17 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: JTS

I was thinking about that.
Thanks

Careful, as those grates age your grate/meat may fall. The welds on that think grate don't hold up too well long term.

Really nice looking pit too up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum