Texas Hunting Forum

Rub Recipe For Smokin' Chicken

Posted By: V-Bottom

Rub Recipe For Smokin' Chicken - 01/09/17 08:20 PM

I got an Old Smokey#22 for Christmas and am eager to use it now that it is warming up this week. Figured I'd try some chicken first..breakin' it in so to speak. I have looked at a lot of rub recipe's on line and they are basically the same.
I like the ones with brown sugar in it tho. I'd like to make my own rub rather than buying some store bought stuff but I can't make up my mind on the ingredients that may please all.
You smokin' guru's out there care to divulge a descent rub recipe? I have two types of wood on hand now..pecan and oak. Been hearing about apple and peach. If you care to chime in ...please do.
Ed...out Galveston way.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Rub Recipe For Smokin' Chicken - 01/09/17 08:23 PM

Just put your favorite seasoning on it no need to complicate it
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Rub Recipe For Smokin' Chicken - 01/09/17 08:53 PM

http://www.specialshit.com/
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Rub Recipe For Smokin' Chicken - 01/09/17 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: sallysue

The AwSh*t flavor is awesome, overall I like that seasoning line.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Rub Recipe For Smokin' Chicken - 01/09/17 09:15 PM

I like the Good Sh%$ the best melt a stick of butter and a bottle of honey and mixed it all together with it
Posted By: rickym

Re: Rub Recipe For Smokin' Chicken - 01/09/17 09:27 PM

Get you a bottle of plowboys yardbird rub. Its great on chicken and pork
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Rub Recipe For Smokin' Chicken - 01/09/17 09:37 PM

Salt, black pepper, cayenne, sugar, and garlic powder.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Rub Recipe For Smokin' Chicken - 01/09/17 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
and onion powder & paprika ... rub bird down with olive oil (or melted butter) and generously sprinkle seasonings on and rub ... I also like the idea of the melted butter & honey with spices mixed in, I might have to try that. I am not much into putting sweets on meat though, so I typically will only put the brown sugar and/or honey on those I don't plan on eating.

and if you want to get a different flavor profile, toss in some Cumin (or Comino) and ground rosemary.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Rub Recipe For Smokin' Chicken - 01/09/17 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
and onion powder & paprika ... rub bird down with olive oil (or melted butter) and generously sprinkle seasonings on and rub ... I also like the idea of the melted butter & honey with spices mixed in, I might have to try that. I am not much into putting sweets on meat though, so I typically will only put the brown sugar and/or honey on those I don't plan on eating.

and if you want to get a different flavor profile, toss in some Cumin (or Comino) and ground rosemary.

Chili powder will give you the color and cumin.
Posted By: GO REBS

Re: Rub Recipe For Smokin' Chicken - 01/10/17 02:17 AM

spatchcock birds. marinate in 1 part pure pineapple juice, 1 part soy sauce. 1/2 part water. for 8 hours plus. dry well and season with chupacabra rub. 350 with pecan and oak.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Rub Recipe For Smokin' Chicken - 01/10/17 09:22 PM

Chupacabra is mighty fine stuff!!!
Posted By: Buzzard Breath

Re: Rub Recipe For Smokin' Chicken - 01/10/17 11:25 PM

this guy is long winded in his writing/presentation style but good info and great rub recipes: http://amazingribs.com/
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Rub Recipe For Smokin' Chicken - 01/11/17 06:00 PM

One of my favorites, goes well on pork and chicken

1 cup brown sugar

1 Tablespoon of each of the following

Kosher salt
Black pepper
Cumin
Chili Powder
Garlic powder
Red pepper
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum