Texas Hunting Forum

Grinder question please

Posted By: thorn4570

Grinder question please - 11/28/16 12:56 AM

I have a hand crank #22 grinder. Has anybody put an electric motor on one or used a drill to turn one.

I have watched the YouTube videos and just wondering if anybody on here had done it.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Grinder question please - 11/28/16 01:00 AM

I'd just get an electric grinder and keep that one as a show item

Re: Grinder question please - 11/28/16 01:03 AM

That's what I been thinking. I hear Cabelas puts there's on sale after the end of the year.

Would y'all know which is best? We do a lot of deer in our family and I'm thinking I want a 1 hp
Posted By: PMK

Re: Grinder question please - 11/28/16 05:01 PM

might check on various places like Cabelas, Academy, Bass Pro, JC Penny, etc. to see if they have any cyber Monday deals worth your while.

we used to have a large manual grinder (#32 if memory serves me) that my dad added a v-belt pulley and electric motor, mounted on a 2x12 that worked pretty well. Just use caution if using this type of setup!
Posted By: BMag

Re: Grinder question please - 11/29/16 07:58 AM

I bought the 1 3/4 hp from Cabelas last year. I can grind a large brisket in about 30 seconds. I cut it into 3 or 4 strips and let the grinder do the rest. It eats up deer meat as fast as I can drop it in.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Grinder question please - 11/29/16 03:36 PM

1 3/4 Hp is a big grinder. I e been getting by with a Cabelas brand 1/2hp for years.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Grinder question please - 11/29/16 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: thorn4570
That's what I been thinking. I hear Cabelas puts there's on sale after the end of the year.

Would y'all know which is best? We do a lot of deer in our family and I'm thinking I want a 1 hp

I got the one gander puts up for sale this time of year not sure how big but it wasn't expensive... I do a few deer a year and it does well
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Grinder question please - 11/29/16 08:00 PM

I got the #8 LEM big bite that Academy had on sale. It'll chew through anything I've put through it so far quickly. I would have preferred the 12 but I would rather be oversized than have to deal with troubles from to small a machine.
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: Grinder question please - 12/01/16 02:23 PM

Spend the money and get a new electric, your hands are worth far more than cost of grinder. FIL used to run an old washer motor contraption on a hand grinder and it was and SOB to run. Had to watch the drive wheel and belt that were whirling away and eventually something got into the wheel and flung across the room. When my kids got involved in processing meat I drew the line and bought a new electric grinder and have never looked back. Bought mine from Northern Tools and it has given me 10+ years of trouble free service.
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Grinder question please - 12/01/16 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Eyesofahunter
Spend the money and get a new electric, your hands are worth far more than cost of grinder. FIL used to run an old washer motor contraption on a hand grinder and it was and SOB to run. Had to watch the drive wheel and belt that were whirling away and eventually something got into the wheel and flung across the room. When my kids got involved in processing meat I drew the line and bought a new electric grinder and have never looked back. Bought mine from Northern Tools and it has given me 10+ years of trouble free service.

this^^^...

We used to have an electric motor mounted on a 2x12 driving a belt around a wheel mounted to the grinder. One day I was grinding meat when our kids got old enough to walk and reach things. I asked my wife what our health insurance deductible was... her reply "$500"... I said, "so is a new meat grinder". That was about 10 years ago... Got a commercial grade 1 1/2 hp and it has been worth every penny.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Grinder question please - 12/01/16 10:48 PM

LOL ... why I said use caution with the added belt drive and separate electric motor. We had similar set up on a 2x12, big pulleys and v-belt but dad was lazy when it made it up and didn't put a switch in the electric line, merely plug it in or pull it out of the wall socket. I got called out to do some business and dad kept working. I got back about an hour later to find a path of blood from the grinder setup out to the driveway. A few hours later, mom & dad showed back up with his hand bandaged up. While chunking meat into the throat of the grinder, his ring finger went in a bit too far and the grinder feed screw started sucking his hand into the grinder ... he had a heck of a time trying to yank the electric cord out of the wall socket to shut things down. Fortunately, he was able to remove the grinder plate, unscrew the feed screw enough to get his finger out, then disassemble the grinder and pick thru the meat inside to find his finger... doctor sewed it back on and after a few years, the finger nail grew back. He said that batch might have had too much red pepper cause it burned like h3ll until the doctor got it all cleaned up.

Re: Grinder question please - 12/01/16 10:50 PM

eeks333
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Grinder question please - 12/02/16 01:23 AM

eeks333 eeks333

Re: Grinder question please - 12/02/16 09:13 AM

I appreciate the info. Never thought about the safety side of it and I have a 1 1/2 year old grandson. Thank y'all for taking the time to post.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Grinder question please - 12/02/16 02:07 PM

We have one of the 1.5 HP Cabelas grinder for about 10 years. Its done over 10 deer a year matched with pork. No complaints no problems, it has been trouble free.

Re: Grinder question please - 12/25/16 02:58 AM

My wife bought me a Cabelas carnivore 1 hp grinder. The thing is huge and perfect. I can't wait to start grinding

Re: Grinder question please - 12/25/16 03:29 PM

Those are suhweet!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum