Texas Hunting Forum

Stuffing or dressing

Posted By: bill oxner

Stuffing or dressing - 11/19/16 08:21 PM

Scratch cornbread or mix? What are you having with your thanksgiving turkey?
Posted By: texfork

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/19/16 09:41 PM

Martha White cornbread mix with our stuffing .
I dont know what else but I am sure it will include dirty rice .
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/19/16 09:55 PM

I make a homemade dressing with several kinds of bread. It always has a big pan of cornbread and probably 2 loaves of french bread in it, and I usually have some older bread left over that I'll cut up and toss in as well.

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/19/16 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: MacDaddy21
I make a homemade dressing with several kinds of bread. It always has a big pan of cornbread and probably 2 loaves of french bread in it, and I usually have some older bread left over that I'll cut up and toss in as well.

That's similar to what I do. I've been freezing leftover scratch cornbread. I'll start thawing and drying it out early. I have some buns and lightbread that I will add. I'll make my stock Wednesday.

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/19/16 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Originally Posted By: MacDaddy21

That's similar to what I do. I've been freezing leftover scratch cornbread. I'll start thawing and drying it out early. I have some buns and lightbread that I will add. I'll make my stock Wednesday.

I'll be driving back home to Colorado from Kansas on Thanksgiving day. Hope I can find a turkey and everything else I need when the stores reopen.

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/20/16 02:03 PM

Kroger has the complete meal for 10 people around $60.
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/20/16 02:33 PM

My mommas homemade stuffing is hard to beat.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/20/16 03:29 PM

Scratch cornbread everything else is immitation and for lazy people
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/20/16 11:07 PM

I'm eating whatever my beautiful bride cooks....don't want no.. wife

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/20/16 11:11 PM

Lucked out. I don't have to go to Kansas after all. Headed to Costco tomorrow to grab a turkey and whatever else I need.
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/21/16 03:46 PM

Dressing, because we don't stuff it in the bird.

Cornbread only for the bread.
From the bag because we're lazy. And because it's good.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/21/16 03:53 PM

Dressing made with a combination of french bread and corn bread.
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/21/16 04:09 PM

Dressing!
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/21/16 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock
Dressing made with a combination of french bread and corn bread.

That's the way we make it.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/21/16 05:53 PM

I'm not a big fan of any cornbread dressing I have ever had. Stove top is about the best stuffing ive ever eaten.

My uncle makes a meat stuffing out of the giblets that I have always loved, but the recipe will likely die with him.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/21/16 06:35 PM

dressing here ... there is an old family recipe on my wife's side that has flowed down at least 4 generations, about 20 years ago, my MIL decided it was time for the next generation to learn how to make it to carry on the tradition. Some how I was who it got flowed down too as my wife said it was way too much work and you have to get up too early to get started on making it for Thanksgiving & Christmas. I always thought my grandmother's dressing was the best until I got to try my MIL (now mine) recipe. Scratch cornbread, a few yeast rolls, a few biscuits, chicken stock, white onion, green onion, black pepper, red pepper, ground/rubbed sage, and the kicker ingredient, chili powder. Once everything is crumbled, mixed to a soupy consistency, taste to see if salt is needed (most of the time the chicken stock has enough without adding), add in a couple well beaten eggs and stir well. into the oven for about 45 minutes, remove and stir and back in the oven.
Posted By: ThreePeppers

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/22/16 08:35 PM

I could eat a plate of my mom's cornbread dressing covered in giblet gravy and nothing else. My favorite part of Thanksgiving.
Posted By: bp3

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/23/16 02:45 PM

Agree with you peppers, Stuffing is like eating dry cornbread food
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/24/16 04:53 AM

Originally Posted By: ThreePeppers
I could eat a plate of my mom's cornbread dressing covered in giblet gravy and nothing else. My favorite part of Thanksgiving.

I will have a separate plate for just that. Always outstanding and my favorite part of the meal too food

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/24/16 06:34 PM

I dried my bread out so it would take more stock.

Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/24/16 07:21 PM

Dressing with cornbread.

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/24/16 07:23 PM

I used two loaves of french bread, a huge pan of buttermilk cornbread and a half loaf of ciabatta bread. Should be awesome.

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/24/16 07:24 PM

I really don't like making gravy. I got lucky. A little bag of gravy mix came with my turkey. All I have to do is add a little more stock.

Any of you ever have oyster dressing?
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/24/16 07:58 PM

Yes! I had some years ago, haven't had it since. It was good
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/25/16 12:12 AM

Dressing from scratch. Starting with homemade jalapeno cornbread, baked the day before.
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/25/16 03:57 AM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Dressing from scratch. Starting with homemade jalapeno cornbread, baked the day before.

Sounds really good!
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/25/16 04:01 AM

Originally Posted By: PKnTX
Dressing, because we don't stuff it in the bird.

Cornbread only for the bread.
From the bag because we're lazy. And because it's good.

Yea true stuffing is really a pain in the arse and usually ends up with a dry turkey or undercooked stuffing. Dressing is the only way to go and my FIL makes the best wet cornbread dressing I have ever had!
Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/27/16 02:46 PM

Cornbread dressing

Re: Stuffing or dressing - 11/27/16 03:34 PM

Here is some that I had as with leftovers last night.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum