Texas Hunting Forum

Prime rib recipe help

Posted By: topwater13

Prime rib recipe help - 11/16/16 12:21 PM

Any tips or suggestions? Feeding around 6 adults next week.

Re: Prime rib recipe help - 11/16/16 12:38 PM

Found this one....seems easy enough.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUQ49SoteE0
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Prime rib recipe help - 11/17/16 01:01 AM

HEB has them on sale for around nine dollars per pound. I think boneless.

Re: Prime rib recipe help - 11/17/16 01:41 AM

Thanks bill..... Looking for bone in.....and heb isn't readily available in my part of town.....at least right now.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Prime rib recipe help - 11/19/16 04:44 PM

I do 400 for first 30 mins and then turn it down to 275..... I do 15 mins per lb of meat from then on and it is always med on the ends and /med rare in the middle......so 8 lb standing bone in ribeye roast takes about 2.5 hrs from start...
Posted By: Buzzard Breath

Re: Prime rib recipe help - 11/19/16 05:01 PM

plenty of instruction online, I've done a few but best advice I can give is to find a recipe to make au jus with wine and the scrapings - it is so flavorful and the store bought stuff is carp in comparison.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Prime rib recipe help - 11/19/16 07:16 PM

HEB does in fact have the bone in prime rib for $9.97 per pound.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Prime rib recipe help - 11/20/16 03:17 PM

I do a 7-rib prime every Christmas. Make sure your butcher separates the ribs and ties them back on, makes slicing much easier. I usually cut the strings, flip the ribs over, and re-tie, making it a "standing" rib roast. I don't trust times with meat that expensive, it's done when it's done. I start at 500 degrees for 20 minutes and drop to 325 and cook until the thermometer reaches 130 degrees.

I usually buy mine at least three days before cooking it. I place it in the roasting pan, sprinkle it liberally with Kosher salt, and cover with a flour sack towel in the fridge. I pull mine out to rest on the kitchen counter at least three hours before cooking. Good luck! Prime rib doesn't need any fancy rubs or anything, just liberal Kosher salt to season it and drow out some of the moisture. When you pull it out to rest, it should be dark red and look and feel dry or tacky. It's ready to cook!

edited to add: I use an inserted probe type thermometer with remote read. Once the cooking starts, do NOT open that oven door again until that thermometer reads 130, let rest and it will rise to 135 in about 15 minutes, you're ready to serve!
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Prime rib recipe help - 11/20/16 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
HEB has them on sale for around nine dollars per pound. I think boneless.

and they are excellent too!
Posted By: Kev®

Re: Prime rib recipe help - 11/20/16 09:23 PM

Here's the one I use, works every time.

http://www.hirschsmeats.com/FAQRetrieve.aspx?ID=44330
Posted By: okie44

Re: Prime rib recipe help - 11/24/16 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
HEB does in fact have the bone in prime rib for $9.97 per pound.

I found a 4.9 lb. chunk and made two big steaks. grill

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum