Texas Hunting Forum

Turkey and Ham

Posted By: mikeydon

Turkey and Ham - 11/13/16 08:14 PM

Hey guy's i got elected to smoke a turkey and ham for church this year,anybody got any good recipe's,I generally cook my brisket's 1hr and 15mins. per pound at 220 to 240 degree's,BUT i really don't know about a turkey or ham grin,just looking for some recipe's or idea's if any's out there up
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Turkey and Ham - 11/13/16 08:38 PM

I've smoked several turkeys. Put them on there with the pyllybone down, or bone them, truss them back up, and put them on there with the breast down.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Turkey and Ham - 11/13/16 09:47 PM

I loosen the skin and insert globs (for lack of a better term) of butter between skin and breast and smoke it breast side up. Truth is I really prefer traditional roasted turkey over smoked or fried.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Turkey and Ham - 11/13/16 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasKC
I loosen the skin and insert globs (for lack of a better term) of butter between skin and breast and smoke it breast side up. Truth is I really prefer traditional roasted turkey over smoked or fried.

That's because you smoke it breast up. All the juices are in the backbones. A turkey has a flat place on its pyllybone that is made for smoking. You have to prop the feet up.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Turkey and Ham - 11/14/16 09:17 PM

I've done similar to Bill ... I smoke like I would a brisket but I cheat by using a meat thermometer, bring center of breast to 165-170.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum