Texas Hunting Forum

Baby backs or St Louis.

Posted By: bill oxner

Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/18/16 10:57 PM

I had leftover baby back rids for dinner tonight. I don't remember the last time I had the St Louis style ribs. Which do you buy? Do you know the difference?
Posted By: Tres

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/19/16 03:56 AM

Like them both, and buy whichever is on sale cheers
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/19/16 04:18 AM

Tres is right. Whatever is on sale FTW cheers
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/19/16 10:50 AM

I buy spare and trim them myself.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/21/16 04:37 PM

babyback are more tender and leaner, connected to the backbone under the loin. I buy SLC as I like the bigger ribs.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/21/16 05:05 PM

Like both. I don't consider one more tender than the other, you can eat them both with no teeth when done.

I prefer spare ribs/st louis ribs, more meat more juicy. I haven't seen anything but st louis style in stores for a long time, no regular spare ribs.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/21/16 05:10 PM

St Louis, more fat = more flavor
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/21/16 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett
St Louis, more fat = more flavor

We have a winner!!!

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/21/16 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Like both. I don't consider one more tender than the other, you can eat them both with no teeth when done.

I prefer spare ribs/st louis ribs, more meat more juicy. I haven't seen anything but st louis style in stores for a long time, no regular spare ribs.

St Louis are just trimmed spare ribs. The spare ribs usually includes the brisket.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/21/16 06:50 PM

Both but St. Louis are normally better price for more meat.
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/21/16 06:56 PM

Baby Backs
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/21/16 08:11 PM

1. Spares
2. St Louis
3. Baby Backs if I'm forced to.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/22/16 03:33 AM

I buy them already cooked.
Posted By: shadowman

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/26/16 05:49 PM

spareribs first...always,,,St louis next more meat than baby back which usually has big bones and little meat..St louis is good.. I just like the spareribs, you can get all the brisket meat and everything else.... mix liquid smoke and worchest.. together first... rub on good, then use black pepper, salt, and , yes, accent.. the most awesome seasoning there is, msg, and coat ribs good... cook till the color is right, re,season with the dry rub coating, then wrap in heavy foil and cook on pit or oven another hour or so.....mmmmmmmmm tender, and flavor is awesome...I will take this to the bank..its that good...

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/26/16 06:04 PM

Kroger has both on sale for $1.77 per pound through next Tuesday.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/26/16 07:56 PM

Depends what is on sale is what I like the most!
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/27/16 01:11 AM

Truthfully, over the past 15 years, baby backs are certainly not what they used to be. Pigs used to be taken to the market at a much younger age and very small. The bones were very little and being young the meat was tender. Now, the pigs are giant. Case in point--you used to be able to buy ribs by weight and everybody knew the 2and 1/2 and down rib was the best. That weight of rib cannot be found now--it's not profitable.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/27/16 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Kroger has both on sale for $1.77 per pound through next Tuesday.

Yep, and they're a steal. I've got a few packages in my freezer, they usually have them on sale once or twice a month.

Speaking of Kroger, they've had/got some really good sales on meat and seafood. I get the hookup on a dozen lobster tails once a month banana
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/27/16 07:30 PM

HEB has their pork loin and pork butts on sale for $1 wit of course $10 additional purchase which I always do anyway.

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/27/16 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock
HEB has their pork loin and pork butts on sale for $1 wit of course $10 additional purchase which I always do anyway.

I've found that the baby backs have become meatier over the years for this exact reason. You can't have baby backs and boneless pork loins out of the same hog. The pork loins are becoming cheaper. Thus they leave more meat on the ribs. They didn't have baby back ribs when I was growing up.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/31/16 01:11 AM

Spare Ribs all day long. If I want the St Louis style I trim them and cook the ends separately.

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 10/31/16 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: LonestarCobra
Spare Ribs all day long. If I want the St Louis style I trim them and cook the ends separately.

Even if the St Louis ribs are on sale cheaper than the spareribs?
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 11/01/16 02:30 PM

St Louis all day everyday
Posted By: Eagle 1

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 11/03/16 06:46 PM

Unless I can get 'meaty' baby backs; I'll go spareribs. There seems to be some argument over St. Louis vs. Spareribs and Mr. Oxner is correct; St. Louis is the bottom rib portion trimmed from the Sparerib. They're all good... grill
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Baby backs or St Louis. - 11/07/16 12:53 AM

I cooked three racks of St Louis and one of spareribs today. Great supper and vacuum sealed the rest for quick meals later. Dang they are good.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum