Texas Hunting Forum

LEM vacuum sealer

Posted By: jae011

LEM vacuum sealer - 10/05/16 08:51 PM

Ive had nothing but great luck with all LEM products so far. Anyone ever use their vacuum sealer?
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: LEM vacuum sealer - 10/06/16 01:13 PM

No, but I will be in the market within the next year and I have a feeling my vacuum sealer is going to quit working.

Re: LEM vacuum sealer - 10/06/16 05:51 PM

My cabelas one just did. It wasn't very good to start with

Re: LEM vacuum sealer - 10/06/16 06:48 PM

The clip broke on one side to lock it down when vacuuming so I have to hold it down to use it, that gets old when you're doing a lot of sealing.

Re: LEM vacuum sealer - 10/06/16 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock
The clip broke on one side to lock it down when vacuuming so I have to hold it down to use it, that gets old when you're doing a lot of sealing.

How does it deal with moisture? Thats one thing my old one sucked at.

Re: LEM vacuum sealer - 10/06/16 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: jae011
How does it deal with moisture? Thats one thing my old one sucked at.

No problems thus far, but I'm sure now the next time I use it there will be problems.
Posted By: PMK

Re: LEM vacuum sealer - 10/06/16 08:54 PM

a little trick I learned from my SIL for soup, stew, etc. was to seal one end and put the bag in a bowl, then pour ingredients in and set it in the freezer. that way it takes on the shape of the bowl and the liquid is frozen, then you merely take out of freezer and seal, then back into the freezer for storage. Then when you are ready to eat, you cut the bag and put in a bowl (fits perfectly) and into the microwave.

I do similar when I am doing meats that is heavy with juices (au jus), merely stick in bag, pour in juices, freeze, then vacuum seal, return to freezer for storage.

I'll have to look at what brand we have, but we've had it about 3 years and never had a problem. I think it's a FoodSaver brand but not totally sure.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: LEM vacuum sealer - 10/11/16 02:03 PM

They have lifetime warranty on their products...I'd be taking it back if I were you

Re: LEM vacuum sealer - 10/13/16 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: FoxTrot

They have lifetime warranty on their products...I'd be taking it back if I were you

Didn't realize this! Thanks.

Re: LEM vacuum sealer - 10/13/16 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: PMK
a little trick I learned from my SIL for soup, stew, etc. was to seal one end and put the bag in a bowl, then pour ingredients in and set it in the freezer. that way it takes on the shape of the bowl and the liquid is frozen, then you merely take out of freezer and seal, then back into the freezer for storage. Then when you are ready to eat, you cut the bag and put in a bowl (fits perfectly) and into the microwave.

I do similar when I am doing meats that is heavy with juices (au jus), merely stick in bag, pour in juices, freeze, then vacuum seal, return to freezer for storage.

I'll have to look at what brand we have, but we've had it about 3 years and never had a problem. I think it's a FoodSaver brand but not totally sure.

Great idea!
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: LEM vacuum sealer - 10/13/16 05:08 PM

I think those things are not worth the money. If you first wrap in butcher paper or foil then put in zip locks meat last at least 2 yrs. with no freezer burn.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: LEM vacuum sealer - 10/13/16 05:12 PM

I bought the $50 ziplock one from wally world works great
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: LEM vacuum sealer - 10/14/16 03:12 AM

Vacuum sealer is the only way to go. You will get bad taste and freezer burn any other way.
Posted By: StretchR

Re: LEM vacuum sealer - 10/15/16 11:21 PM

You can even vacuum seal stews and soups. I pour into an aluminum (not foil) cake pan that is greased/sprayed. Leave overnight, flat, in the chest freezer. The next morning I flip the pan on a large cutting board, then use a heavy knife to cut into rectangles. I use the vacuum sealer to package 1 or 2 serving size bricks. Works really well for me.

Overall, I prefer putting meat away with a vacuum sealer. If you use good quality bags then things will last a LONG time without loss of flavor or texture.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum