Texas Hunting Forum

Pulled pork?

Posted By: jhenderson

Pulled pork? - 08/31/16 06:20 PM

Bought a pork shoulder the other day since it was so cheap. Never made pulled pork. Need an easy recipe for either a crock pot or oven.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Pulled pork? - 08/31/16 06:32 PM

Can use either.....I usually inject and rub.....since you aren't looking for a dry mean I would wrap from the start in the oven or use the crockpot. Key is low and slow. 200-225 for 1 hour per pound then use a fork for the pull test....if it pulls apart its done...still tight cook a little longer.

I remove the meat and set the to the side...let the broth cool then place in the freezer for a few minutes...less than an hour....to let cold remove any fat (grease) off the top. While broth is chilling I pull apart the meat and place in the pot or pan. I then pour the broth back over the pulled pork and leave it in the fridge for 4-6 hours. This allows the meat to absorb spices and fluid from the broth. I place the meat in a steamer so that the meat is above the screen and excess fluid can drain below and place in the fridge.

Warm and serve as needed.....
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Pulled pork? - 08/31/16 06:35 PM

Put it in a cooking bag with liquid smoke and a rub. Cook at 220 for 6 to 8 hours.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Pulled pork? - 08/31/16 06:58 PM

I inject it with apple juice then rub it down with seasoning than put it on the smoker
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Pulled pork? - 08/31/16 07:00 PM

This is the seasoning I use [GOOD] its sweet http://www.specialshit.com/products/
Posted By: PMK

Re: Pulled pork? - 08/31/16 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Can use either.....I usually inject and rub.....since you aren't looking for a dry mean I would wrap from the start in the oven or use the crockpot. Key is low and slow. 200-225 for 1 hour per pound then use a fork for the pull test....if it pulls apart its done...still tight cook a little longer.

I remove the meat and set the to the side...let the broth cool then place in the freezer for a few minutes...less than an hour....to let cold remove any fat (grease) off the top. While broth is chilling I pull apart the meat and place in the pot or pan. I then pour the broth back over the pulled pork and leave it in the fridge for 4-6 hours. This allows the meat to absorb spices and fluid from the broth. I place the meat in a steamer so that the meat is above the screen and excess fluid can drain below and place in the fridge.

Warm and serve as needed.....

pretty much like I do it. I use a crock pot liner bag, rub meat with favorite spices and pour a can of your favorite soda (Dr. Pepper for my wife, Root Beer for me) and let it cook on low until it pulls easily. Remove meat to a large dish/bowl, pick up liner bag and pour juices into a container & place in fridge (freezer would be faster) to let the grease separate. While juice is chill'n, get two forks and go to town shredding the pork. Skim grease off juices and pour over meat. We usually will add a bit of BBQ sauce (whatever is your favorite).
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Pulled pork? - 08/31/16 08:27 PM

Once you get it all pulled apart I like to put it in a pan than put it in the oven on broil and get some char on the meat. Roll it up in a tortilla with cilantro, onions and cheese.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Pulled pork? - 08/31/16 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock
Once you get it all pulled apart I like to put it in a pan than put it in the oven on broil and get some char on the meat. Roll it up in a tortilla with cilantro, onions and cheese.

Gonna try that... food
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Pulled pork? - 09/01/16 01:36 PM

I keep mine pretty simple. Season with even portions of salt, course pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, red pepper, and paprika (one tablespoon of each mixed with a 1/2 cup of brown sugar)

Cook fat side up till the bone pulls out with 2 fingers and no twisting. Pull with meat forks remove any large pieces of fat and dump juice back in. If I can at all possible I get it on a pit/grill for a couple hours to get some smoke and finish in the oven.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Pulled pork? - 09/02/16 10:09 PM

I make up a batch of seasoning:
1/4 cup ground pepper
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Rub the seasoning into the meat; wrap it in plastic wrap; put it in the fridge overnight.

Next day, take it out of fridge and let it warm up to about room temperature - 45 minutes to an hour, depending upon the size of the meat.

While the meat is coming to room temperature, turn the crock pot onto LOW.

Slice a large onion. When the meat is ready, put the onion down as a base in the crock pot and set the meat on top of the onion slices.

Let 'er cook for an hour per pound for starters; if it's not fork tender by then, keep it going 'til it gets there.

Other posters have given good suggestions on handling the juice that's created, so I can't add anything to their suggestions.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum